Exchange rate

Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Exchange rate

i ve got 1.90 today much have dipped for a while
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooka
As OPEC is international who would do the banning?
Originally Posted by andrewrb143
The countries in which the members are based. It is all irrelevant though, the tax revenues from oil means no government is ever going to intervene. They are simply too powerful and influential.
Exactly. That's what happens with airlines etc. But just look at who OPEC is.....

http://www.opec.org/library/faqs/aboutopec/q3.htm
Old Dec 1st 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

OMG.... Cneldred, any idea why the pound is down nearly 6 cents this morning? That's the biggest fall I think I've ever seen? Is it anything to do with the rumour of joining the Euro?? Why does everyone hate the pound all of a sudden???? I wish I'd paid that tax bill
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Manufacturing output and mortgage lending down dramatically...increases likelihood of lower IRs. Oil up, helps CAN$. Brown and Darling borrowing way to much and so flooding the markets with UK bonds at a time when there are few investors. All of this makes the pound very weak. I would expect to see the CAN$ around 1.50 by spring
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
OMG.... Cneldred, any idea why the pound is down nearly 6 cents this morning? That's the biggest fall I think I've ever seen? Is it anything to do with the rumour of joining the Euro?? Why does everyone hate the pound all of a sudden???? I wish I'd paid that tax bill
Anything to do with this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7764741.stm
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

I only hope the exchange rate goes through the roof this afternoon .. i'm exchanging cash at M&S tomorrow .. now i shouldnt complain, the money i got was from selling items in the house, a gift from my grandfather and the kids pocket money (which i give to them at £1 - $2) it only totals about £2k so anything is better than £1 - $1 ..
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Yeah - if it was expected (which it was) it would already be priced in. I suspect the rate would be worse if it wasn't for the shenanigans going on with the government
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

And just when I start to think that I'm beginning to understand the markets, the UK drops interest rates and the Canadian dollar immediately starts lossing value against it.

I give up
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
And just when I start to think that I'm beginning to understand the markets, the UK drops interest rates and the Canadian dollar immediately starts lossing value against it.

I give up
Read the comments above for the explanation. The rate cut was priced in, and then Oil has dropped big time today, and Canada is an Oil/commodity currency. It may well be the pound creeps back up towards $2 again if we don't see any more terrible news and rates look like thy're going to hold.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheBear
Read the comments above for the explanation. The rate cut was priced in, and then Oil has dropped big time today, and Canada is an Oil/commodity currency. It may well be the pound creeps back up towards $2 again if we don't see any more terrible news and rates look like thy're going to hold.
Weren't you looking at $1.50 by the Spring ??
Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Southcote
Weren't you looking at $1.50 by the Spring ??
Yep...I talk out of my @rse all the time. Exchange rates are going to be all over the place in the short term and I shouldn't pretend I know what is going to happen. If Oil continues to fall along with commodities then the £ might fair better than the CAN$, but if Oil starts to go up again, and our economy worsens then it will be the other way. I'm currently opening an HSBC account in canada and going to move half my money over there...that way I won't win or lose, but at least I'll sleep.

In the long term I think Canada is a much better place to be as Oil will go up again, even if it's a few years away, and because they have stuff (commodities) to sell that the rest of the world wants, Canada will recover early...the UK has lost so much manufacturing etc that it will take much longer to recover.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

Yep...I talk out of my @rse all the time. Exchange rates are going to be all over the place in the short term and I shouldn't pretend I know what is going to happen. If Oil continues to fall along with commodities then the £ might fair better than the CAN$, but if Oil starts to go up again, and our economy worsens then it will be the other way. I'm currently opening an HSBC account in canada and going to move half my money over there...that way I won't win or lose, but at least I'll sleep.

In the long term I think Canada is a much better place to be as Oil will go up again, even if it's a few years away, and because they have stuff (commodities) to sell that the rest of the world wants, Canada will recover early...the UK has lost so much manufacturing etc that it will take much longer to recover.
Do you think thats a good idea?

funily enough my wife and I were talking about this today. We are planning to save a certain amount of money by this time next year ready for our move to canada. She still has her canadian bank account and we were debating if we should transfer our current money into that now before the rate gets worse (which we think it will) or to put it an ISA?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr.mac

funily enough my wife and I were talking about this today. We are planning to save a certain amount of money by this time next year ready for our move to canada. She still has her canadian bank account and we were debating if we should transfer our current money into that now before the rate gets worse (which we think it will) or to put it an ISA?
I'm not qualified to give advice, but here's where I stand, at the mo the rate is OK, if Oil goes down into the 30s and global growth is forecast to fall further, reducing demand for commodities, which it could well do, then the CAN$ will go down, how much it will go down against the £ is the big question. Our economy is truly screwed (house prices now 18.1% off peak and that's before redundancies! In auction properties are going for 30-40% off peak), but again how much of this is priced into the current exchange rate is hard to say (Eur 1.15!). If you split your savings between the two currencies you will not lose, but you won't gain either. My gut feeling is that Oil will bottom out soon, so the CAN$ fall may slow, but if the global markets haven't quite yet grasped the extent of how much the UK economy has been built on debt and not growth, then the pound could drop another 20-40%, so I'd be inclined to save a greater proportion of my money in CAN$, especially as that is going to be our home of the future.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not qualified to give advice, but here's where I stand, at the mo the rate is OK, if Oil goes down into the 30s and global growth is forecast to fall further, reducing demand for commodities, which it could well do, then the CAN$ will go down, how much it will go down against the £ is the big question. Our economy is truly screwed (house prices now 18.1% off peak and that's before redundancies! In auction properties are going for 30-40% off peak), but again how much of this is priced into the current exchange rate is hard to say (Eur 1.15!). If you split your savings between the two currencies you will not lose, but you won't gain either. My gut feeling is that Oil will bottom out soon, so the CAN$ fall may slow, but if the global markets haven't quite yet grasped the extent of how much the UK economy has been built on debt and not growth, then the pound could drop another 20-40%, so I'd be inclined to save a greater proportion of my money in CAN$, especially as that is going to be our home of the future.
Can't disagree with any of that.

Rate heading up to 1.90 today - think the market had priced in a bigger rate cut.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mr.mac

The recession is World-wide. I do not think you can win wherever you go. Trying to beat currency exchange rates is risky and you probably get more interest in the UK.

http://www.xe.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.