Exchange rate

Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:07 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
so - given the banks are crumbling etc. . .IF my house sale goes thru next week would I be better just having the cash and putting under my mattress?? would be gutted to put it into an account for it to "disappear"!
I would split it between multiple savings accounts, different accounts have different guaranteed amounts which you cant loose. i would also split between different countries. say ING UK £100K and HSBC CA $100k.

I wish i had that worry
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:15 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

so - given the banks are crumbling etc. . .IF my house sale goes thru next week would I be better just having the cash and putting under my mattress?? would be gutted to put it into an account for it to "disappear"!
You should definitely split it between institutions. The UK recently increased the guaranteed per institution from £35k to £50k so don't put anymore than £50k in any one bank, building society or other savings organization in the UK. Also if you invest in other countries check out their guarantee limits. When I was over in Canada last month the Lady we spoke to at TD said that Canada had one of the safest banking systems in the world (not sure how bias she was though) - having said that they are pretty mean with their interest rates.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=IckleHelen;6987051]You should definitely split it between institutions. The UK recently increased the guaranteed per institution from £35k to £50k so don't put anymore than £50k in any one bank, building society or other savings organization in the UK. Also if you invest in other countries check out their guarantee limits.
Hi
Great advice always best to disversify assetts into a number of institutions where possible so minimising as much risk as possible, especially in these troubling and uncertain financial times
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a gold bar wouldn't hurt either...seriously.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:08 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Eastbound;6987151]
Originally Posted by IckleHelen
You should definitely split it between institutions. The UK recently increased the guaranteed per institution from £35k to £50k so don't put anymore than £50k in any one bank, building society or other savings organization in the UK. Also if you invest in other countries check out their guarantee limits.
Hi
Great advice always best to disversify assetts into a number of institutions where possible so minimising as much risk as possible, especially in these troubling and uncertain financial times
ING has a higher intrest rate and more guaranteed than all the others right now.

yep, Gold wouldnt hurt.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Buying a gold bar wouldn't hurt either...seriously.
You're right... but where? Kitco has run out of affordable gold coins ( i.e. 1oz).

And silver has all but gone..... what's goin' on????
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

hi you can buy gold online and store it in a safety deposit bank you get a log on access and can check your gold value ect! I read recently a coulpe from England bought gold with the profits from the sale of there house a few years back and have made a substantial profit! I expect Gold values will sore back close to the $1000 mark as soon as oil prices begin to rise again and dollar weakens which could make for decent profits as gold is currently $738
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:22 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the advice - my worry is that it will allgot t*ts up lietrally the ay the money gets wired to us, not giving me a chance to split it!! suppose could set the accounts up now but have no SIM no yet so may be diff to open a Canadian one! and a;so sale could still fall thru!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the advice - my worry is that it will allgot t*ts up lietrally the ay the money gets wired to us, not giving me a chance to split it!! suppose could set the accounts up now but have no SIM no yet so may be diff to open a Canadian one! and a;so sale could still fall thru!!
Some UK banks will let you open an account in Canada if they have branches. HSBC sent me a load of forms for doing just that recently...just need to fill the things out. You can get a checking, savings and credit card account and the cost is minimal.

The price or 'real' gold and spot gold decoupled about 2 months ago, there should be a readjustment soon, much sooner than Oil readjusts.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:29 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
Some UK banks will let you open an account in Canada if they have branches. HSBC sent me a load of forms for doing just that recently...just need to fill the things out. You can get a checking, savings and credit card account and the cost is minimal.

The price or 'real' gold and spot gold decoupled about 2 months ago, there should be a readjustment soon, much sooner than Oil readjusts.
OH skyped to day to say he has a SIN (not SIM as i posted before) so he can open an account now -so thats good - yup looked at HSBC - may start that off here too!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone known why the pound is recovering a bit today?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:06 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Have no idea but yes its gone up approx 3 cents since yesterday by my reckoning - lets just hope it continues to rise - then we can all change money at a good price and get a few more $ to play with the otherside.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

$1.87 at the moment that 8c per £ higher than the low point hopefully will contine to rise for the rest of the month!!! would be nice to see 1.90 this week then another major barrier broken!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKForex Daily Commentary - 19/11/2008

:: United States Dollar: GBP/USD has traded a fairly narrow range over the past 24 hours and dare I say it, looks to be consolidating around the 1.5000 figure for the moment. It traded to a high of 1.5050 on Tuesday and opens this morning at 1.4990. UK CPI Inflation data was released yesterday and came in weaker than expected at 4.5%. Some commentators and media outlets are now warning of future deflation threats. The data release had minimal impact on the Pound though. Bank of England Minutes are due today and investors will listen carefully for any signs of further near term base rate cuts. US CPI Inflation data is then due come the afternoon and the day finishes with FOMC Minutes, so all in all a big day data/economic reports wise.

- We expect a range today in the GBP/USD rate of 1.4900 to 1.5140

CD usually follows US so if were strengthening against US same against CD
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The pound is doing well against everything at the mo. The Canadian dollar is a commodity currency, and they have done real bad recently. Let's hope the pound claws back it's losses and levels at $2!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.