Wikiposts

Exchange rate

Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate

Originally Posted by ThemeOne
The base rate cut seems to have made no difference as yet.
As the experts have already said, it was probably already factored in because a 1% drop was rumoured. If it had only dropped by 0.5% then the rate would probably have increased.

But, who knows at the moment. Because we're coming back to the UK in the near future I've been watching the minute by minute changes in the exchange rate and the enormous flucations have almost made what little hair that I have left fall out

But what do I know because I'm only an engineer at not a financial whiz kid.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I give up. Looking at the minute by minute HIFX chart, why has the rate increased by 2c on a steadily increasing profile since the announcement.

I though UK interest rate drops were meant to make it go the other way
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:39 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
OK, I give up. Looking at the minute by minute HIFX chart, why has the rate increased by 2c on a steadily increasing profile since the announcement.

I though UK interest rate drops were meant to make it go the other way
It maybe because the BOE is now being seen to be taking strong and decisive action which the city likes. However my feeling is that the market doesn't quite yet know what to make of this - and who knows what will happen in the next few days.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

$1.81 to the £
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

OK - so that is officially "bad"
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
$1.81 to the £
At one point it dipped to $1.7992
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Aviator
At one point it dipped to $1.7992
Hey take a look at the very first post of this thread, then cry
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

I think i might stay in England now!! At the exchange rate BC is more expensive than Northern England! LOL! If your a commuter like me!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:18 am
Banned

notbazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cneldred
Our funds are being wired to my forex broker tomorrow. I spoke to them today and said i will take anything above 1.95. The Canadian inflation numbers came out pretty strong which means they will hold off on further rate cuts for the time being.

Got very worried on Monday when we dipped below 1.93 but it then bounced to 1.95 until after those numbers today. I do not see a recovery to 2.00 plus for the foreseeable future, UK economy in the sewers, no one trusts labour anymore, housing market sat on the edge of a cliff.

Canadian economy so far avoiding the meltdown going on in most western countries, plus price of oil shows no sign of retreat next stop is $150 a barrel, which will see prices at the pump GBP1.50 ish a litre and CAD$1.50 ish. I fully expect the price of oil to touch $200 within the next year. As we all know the price of oil has helped the CAD$ become a stronger currency.

Hope that helps all.

Chris
We pressed the button this morning, got a rate of 1.945....absolutely gutted. Never thought the money would come across at such a bad rate. We did all our sums at 2.000 and signed for our house when it was 2.180. However, the price of oil is driving this and it is going to go much higher, basically China and India with populations of 1 billion in each country have just entered the cars for the masses club. Oil will never be sub $60 again, and my money is on $200 a barrel by the end of this summer. If CAD$ breaks 1.920 then it has had it, 1.850 will be targetted instantly.

All the best everyone.

Chris
Bazzz, actually since the 10th April every comment i have made about CAD$ has been pointing out a negative about the exchange rate. Even in that comment i pointed out we were stuck in a range. By piercing below 1.95 we broke that range to the downside, but then i had support at 1.92 we bounced off that earlier this week. All the fundamentals are in place for further strength in CAD$, inflation rising again, Oil price blowing out, UK Economy in the sink, everywhere you go you read about the terrible state of UK Housing Market.

Can you show 14 years of experience in broking or trading the financial markets or are you qualified to give investment advice, such as i am with the UK FSA for one amongst a number of international financial regulators, Germany, France, US and Canada being the others.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/indiv....do?sid=601216

the above link shows i am a qualified investment manager. The day you can come back to me with any of the equivalent then you can make condescending comments, until then.....

You gotta be kidding.....i lost money on the second day of January and finished the month flat. That is what happens in my line of work. You never hear about the really good days.

When oil hits $200 i will pay for the humble pie to be UPS'd to you.

Chris
I guess I'm going to be hungry for a bit longer yet.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

anyone know the date of the next bank of canada rate announcement? I hope a rate drop here would show a small correction on fx?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

From the 1st post:

"Damn it's down to $2.25 now "....

Ah, those were the days!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Loki117
anyone know the date of the next bank of canada rate announcement? I hope a rate drop here would show a small correction on fx?
Just found it Dec 9th but we have a gouv announcement on the 19th and BOC review on the 20th of Nov anyone on the floor got any insight to the expected result of these announcements?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

andyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the rough

In an effort to cheer people up that are worried about the exchange rate the link below follows the property markets in the main cities in Canada and it appears that, like here, houses are plunging, my advice is to rent for the next 2 or 3 years.

http://www.canadian-housing-price-charts.235.ca/
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:37 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyg
In an effort to cheer people up that are worried about the exchange rate the link below follows the property markets in the main cities in Canada and it appears that, like here, houses are plunging, my advice is to rent for the next 2 or 3 years.

http://www.canadian-housing-price-charts.235.ca/
Well I'm not going to try and predict the future but at least based on past data (to the end of Sept 08) house prices in Halifax seem to have bucked the trend and increased nearly 11% during the year. (see http://www.crea.ca/public/news_stats/statistics.htm# - price in Sept 07 = $216,863; price in Sept 08 = $239,740)
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Well I'm not going to try and predict the future but at least based on past data (to the end of Sept 08) house prices in Halifax seem to have bucked the trend and increased nearly 11% during the year. (see http://www.crea.ca/public/news_stats/statistics.htm# - price in Sept 07 = $216,863; price in Sept 08 = $239,740)
I suspect/hope that house prices may have nearly flattened out in Alberta as I expect that as people loose their jobs in Ontario and have to move to a province where there are still some jobs to be had that housing demand should increase.

We just have to hope that the oil price stabilizes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.