Exchange rate

Old May 10th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchange rate

Housing markets is increased in multiples in most western countries in the last 10 years. Spain, US, Canada, France, Germany, the list goes on and on. A fact of life. BOE kept pace with most major central banks, cutting after the terror attacks of 9/11, to keep the US economy out of recession. In the rate hiking cycle they are ahead of Europe in the curve there. They have mantained a strong currency.

Now let's look at the many disasters that the labour government have presided over, immigration, crime, schoooling, throwing buckets of money at the NHS with no improvement, Petrol prices doubling, the Iraq war, need i go on. Do you honestly think a government controlled BOE could have done a better job? I would bet my life savings that things would be sooooo much worse if that was the case.

Chris
Old May 10th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. Gordon flogging off the family gold for a record low before it proceeded to soar in value and wrecking a healthy pensions system would be good indicators of what happens with the "hands on" Government approach (and the £6bn in annual tax credit overpayments, etc., etc.)

Fair play, making the BoE independent was a good move. Shame it was one of the few rather than the many.

Anyway, enough of Sterling - why is the loonie so strong on the markets against the pound and dollar?

Any chance of a Canadian rate cut?

Cheers, Iain

Last edited by Iain Mc; May 10th 2007 at 3:38 pm. Reason: Spelling!
Old May 10th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

i am hearing talk of another 100bp to come from Canada. Not good news...

The currency has some link to oil, i heard something about an OPEC output cut this morning. Which would strengthen the price of oil and thus be a boast for CAD$.

Last edited by cneldred; May 10th 2007 at 3:32 pm.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:51 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
i am hearing talk of another 100bp to come from Canada. Not good news...

The currency has some link to oil, i heard something about an OPEC output cut this morning. Which would strengthen the price of oil and thus be a boast for CAD$.
english pls for us financial thickies. exchange rate go upsy or downy.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rae
english pls for us financial thickies. exchange rate go upsy or downy.
It means we get less $ for our £.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:13 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andthen
It means we get less $ for our £.
right, ta, now you need to start posting telling us all this is going to change, and soon
Old May 11th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
right, ta, now you need to start posting telling us all this is going to change, and soon
ok
This is going to change, and soon.
Old May 11th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

LOL
Old May 11th 2007, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

If canada raise rates if makes their currency stronger, which means those wanting to change £ into CAD$ get less.

If oil price goes up and drags CAD$ with it again you get less.

The important thing to remember is if £ gets stronger you get more for your money abroad. If the CAD$ gets STRONGER it cost you more £ to get the same CAD$. I haven't just confused people more have i.

Sorry edited i put weaker instead of stronger after CAD$.

Last edited by cneldred; May 11th 2007 at 10:43 am.
Old May 11th 2007, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - spot rate right now with Moneycorp is 2.201.

I'm going in .....
Old May 11th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Go for it. Good luck
Old May 11th 2007, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Done - sold - it's a deal !

I can't take it anymore !

Now, remind me,

DO NOT LOOK AT THE RATES AGAIN FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS !!!!!
Old May 11th 2007, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ann i think it is a good rate to deal at. I am trying to speed my sale up because i want to change around hear. I don't believe we will see 2.30 again for a while.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cneldred
If canada raise rates if makes their currency stronger, which means those wanting to change £ into CAD$ get less.

If oil price goes up and drags CAD$ with it again you get less.

The important thing to remember is if £ gets stronger you get more for your money abroad. If the CAD$ gets weaker it cost you more £ to get the same CAD$. I haven't just confused people more have i.
If anyone doesn't understand cneldred's basic rules of foreign exchange you shouldn't be here wasting his time, so bugger off.

So what's the timeline, given the information available, for Canadian oil supplies to dwindle to a trickle and set off economic calamity? There was an article in the Enomomist a while ago (maybe years, I can't remember) that cited 2012 to be the year of impending doom for oil exporting countries.

I'm just worried for the poor people in Alberta.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ann m
Done - sold - it's a deal !

I can't take it anymore !

Now, remind me,

DO NOT LOOK AT THE RATES AGAIN FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS !!!!!
I said I wouldn't but it's like a moth to a flame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.