Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Election's 'a comin'

Election's 'a comin'

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Rich_007
NB Canada's child poverty rates are second only to the US in terms of the developed nations.
Got a link for that ? I'd guess it depends on a tight definition of "developed nation".

and have been rising for 20 years.
I have no trouble believing that.

Aboriginals who happen to be poor (a lot I would guess) aren't included in 'official' Statistics Canada poverty disclosures.
Nor that.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:40 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Got a link for that ? I'd guess it depends on a tight definition of "developed nation".
2000 - UNICEF research / 14 developed countries.
2000 - UN Report on Human Development / 24 developed countries...Canada 19th (US bottom)

etc etc

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

2000 - UNICEF research / 14 developed countries.
2000 - UN Report on Human Development / 24 developed countries...Canada 19th (US bottom)

etc etc

Rich.
I didn't find the one from 2000 but here's a more recent one :

http://www.unicef.org/brazil/repcard6e.pdf

Canada 19th, UK 20th, USA 25th.

They don't list "developed" but "rich" countries, presumably so as to avoid having to include India, Korea and the like as that would make the US, and incidentally Canada and the UK, look relatively good. No UN statistics can ever be allowed to hint that there are some healthy and educated people in America. Figure 2 seems to me to show child poverty rates falling through the 90s in all three countries mentioned.

I suppose I should specify that I don't advocate starving children in Canada. I do unchain mine from time to time. I think another reason to fear Harper is that were he in power he would likely look for ways to reduce spending on education (directly by the feds or indirectly by the provinces). Tuition fees are already brutal.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Election's 'a comin'

Here comes an important Statement. Not my own: "Prosperity and Wellbeing of citizens depend on the way the State authority treats the Christian Churches" ...You are free to subject it to your own tests.

Here is what Alexander Tocqueville - a French Philosopher in early 19th Century, thought was the primary reason for American prowess in the world.
Myself I hope it holds good for the future!

Check link

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/DE...ion/ch1_17.htm
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Gezza
Here comes an important Statement. Not my own: "Prosperity and Wellbeing of citizens depend on the way the State authority treats the Christian Churches" ...You are free to subject it to your own tests.

Here is what Alexander Tocqueville - a French Philosopher in early 19th Century, thought was the primary reason for American prowess in the world.
Myself I hope it holds good for the future!

Check link

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/DE...ion/ch1_17.htm
Doesn't seem even vaguely relevant to Canada. The Christian church enjoys an unreasonable bias in its favour here.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:49 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Link: What a long winded blather of nothingness.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Election's 'a comin'

Link: What a long winded blather of nothingness.

Rich.
...And who would be YOUR favourite phylosopher?
Or is that a secret? In case people pause for breath!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:27 pm
Lotus-eater

...And who would be YOUR favourite phylosopher?
Or is that a secret? In case people pause for breath!
Basically my eyes closed after the first couple of paragraphs.

> Ermintrude did it for me way back.

Rich.
Attached Thumbnails Election's 'a comin'-erm4.jpg  

Last edited by Rich_007; Dec 2nd 2005 at 5:38 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

I'm an immigrant. I assume you're an immigrant so, unless we both consistently vote Liberal, your theory is plainly nonsense. If you think the country's gone to the dogs because of the darkies please say so.

I believe Harper to be a Canadian Pat Robertson rather than an Ayatollah. I see the weirdly named Reform fellows, Stock and Press, as being Canadian analogues of Fred Phelps. Overall I think the competence and awareness of the Canadian right is best summarised by the acronym they chose for themselves: CRAP.
Try to get it right dbd33 it was CCRAP and they never accepted it but your original CRAP would do for your own personal attitude.

Last edited by jcexit; Dec 3rd 2005 at 3:09 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

No one is a proabortionist but then you know that
Are you stupid or what? Many people are pro-abortionists and have been for more years than you will live upon this earth.

Last edited by jcexit; Dec 3rd 2005 at 2:57 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Doesn't seem even vaguely relevant to Canada. The Christian church enjoys an unreasonable bias in its favour here.
So are you a buddist with a lager-lout attitude?
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

In the case of this war the motivation of the US President was, I believe, personal profit and a hubristic craving to avenge his daddy
I seem to remember that the US was not involved in a war started by themselves in Bosnia. They were, like many other nations, UN peace keepers.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:03 am
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by jcexit
I seem to remember that the US was not involved in a war started by themselves in Bosnia. They were, like many other nations, UN peace keepers.
Supposedly so but IIRC they dilly-dallied and thumb-twiddled etc and while they did thousands more civvies died in the bombing, and Clinton told the story in his autobiography and he carries a burden of guilt for not acting unilaterally at the time.

I know it sounds like people moaning that the worlds biggest military power can't do right from wrong, but they certainly do their best to give that impression.

Rich.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

I think the current Canada is directly a result of the Trudeau Liberals' immigration policies. If not for them we'd still be buying liquor in paper bags and staying home on Sundays.
I don't think Trudeau had the foresight to realise the immense tax gain of a government owning the biggest purchasers of alcoholic drinks in the world - he was far too busy bonking and performing buffoonery. Not your best advertisement for a Liberal leader.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Supposedly so but IIRC they dilly-dallied and thumb-twiddled etc and while they did thousands more civvies died in the bombing, and Clinton told the story in his autobiography and he carries a burden of guilt for not acting unilaterally at the time.

I know it sounds like people moaning that the worlds biggest military power can't do right from wrong, but they certainly do their best to give that impression.

Rich.
It's a fact that if it were not for the Americans many of us would not be here now to partake in this forum. Indeed, we may all be speaking German. Well, accept for dbd who would still be blubbering his anti this and anti that thoughts and still be leaving his dog muck to stay where it landed for others to tred-in.

Last edited by jcexit; Dec 3rd 2005 at 5:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.