Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Election's 'a comin'

Election's 'a comin'

Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:54 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Election's 'a comin'

Judging from what I just read on yahoo.ca

Chretien, at least, will get what he wants for Christmas (Paul Martin on a stick).
Souvenir is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:26 pm
  #2  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Judging from what I just read on yahoo.ca

Chretien, at least, will get what he wants for Christmas (Paul Martin on a stick).
I don't think Martin will end up on a stick. I expect he'll be back to form another minority, or small majority, government.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:31 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,015
Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Unfortunately I agree with you. I wish the Liberals would get kicked out. They have had more than a good run at screwing things up - and they have succeeded. Let someone else have a chance at screwing things up for a change.

I think we will spend millions and end up with another Liberal government.

Lord knows why all those people in Ontario vote for him, but I guess he is in the process of buying everyone's vote at the moment.
Purley is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 7:42 pm
  #4  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Unfortunately I agree with you. I wish the Liberals would get kicked out. They have had more than a good run at screwing things up - and they have succeeded. Let someone else have a chance at screwing things up for a change.

I think we will spend millions and end up with another Liberal government.

Lord knows why all those people in Ontario vote for him, but I guess he is in the process of buying everyone's vote at the moment.
He doesn't have to buy my vote. I think Harper's a crazed religious maniac who would drag the country into foreign wars. Layton used to be on the local council, I thought he was a crook and a busybody and that he supported laws harmful to the disabled. I set the hose on NDP canvassers.

Thus the Liberals are the least bad.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:07 pm
  #5  
Now on Vancouver Island
 
Judy in Calgary's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,935
Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think Harper's a crazed religious maniac who would drag the country into foreign wars.
I find that an effective survival strategy when you live in Harper's riding is to pretend you're an anthropologist researching the local society. That helps when you attend one of his town hall meetings and the audience only just stops short of leaping up and shouting, "Zig Heil."
Judy in Calgary is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:10 pm
  #6  
Lotus-eater
 
Rich_007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Cascadian Autonomous Elysian Region
Posts: 5,069
Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think Harper's a crazed religious maniac who would drag the country into foreign wars.
There's no way a civilised electorate would allow such people to head up a G8 nation.

:scared:

Rich
Rich_007 is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:00 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 16
Flipper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Lord knows why all those people in Ontario vote for him, but I guess he is in the process of buying everyone's vote at the moment.
A lot of people in the Toronto area believe all that media stuff about the Conservative Party being the Canadian Ayatollahs. (Though they don't seem to mind religious fanatics from the Asian communities.) But the main reason they can't make headway in Ontario is the ethnic vote in the Toronto area. Some former Liberal ridings (including my own) in "Canadian" parts of Ontario switched to the Conservatives last time. But the way it works is if a riding is approximately 20% "visible minority" the Tories can't win unless they virtually sweep the white vote. It's the main reason why the Liberals are trying to bring in more immigrants.
Flipper is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:46 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,883
Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Flipper
A lot of people in the Toronto area believe all that media stuff about the Conservative Party being the Canadian Ayatollahs. (Though they don't seem to mind religious fanatics from the Asian communities.) But the main reason they can't make headway in Ontario is the ethnic vote in the Toronto area. Some former Liberal ridings (including my own) in "Canadian" parts of Ontario switched to the Conservatives last time. But the way it works is if a riding is approximately 20% "visible minority" the Tories can't win unless they virtually sweep the white vote. It's the main reason why the Liberals are trying to bring in more immigrants.
The true Conservative Party would win in a landslide. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind about that fact.

Unfortunately what we currently have is NOT the true Conservative Party. It is a bastardization of the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Parties. Run by and large by the religious right. A truly scary thought.
Steve_P is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:49 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 81
iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Some people on this site are too stupid too see that.



I'm not sure about the ethnic vote though. Just remember last time when it comes to protesting about gay marriage, most of them were immigrants.

When it comes to "social conservatives", alot of immigrants are in that camp.

I was born in Vietnam, came to Canada in 1989, and I dispise the liberal with a passion.

And yeah, I'm voting for Harper because I use my brain and won't let others do the thinking for me, unlike some of you here.
iwanttotalktoyou is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:52 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 81
iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Hangman
It is a bastardization of the Reform/Alliance/Conservative Parties. Run by and large by the religious right. A truly scary thought.
I don't remember Harper threating to throw anybody in jail if you're not christian.
iwanttotalktoyou is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 10:58 pm
  #11  
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,883
Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
I don't remember Harper threating to throw anybody in jail if you're not christian.
Perhaps not.

But they are not very tolerant of the gay community, and they don't favour abortion very much either.

But they would like to go to war with George W. :scared:
Steve_P is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:03 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 81
iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Hangman
Perhaps not.

But they are not very tolerant of the gay community, and they don't favour abortion very much either.

But they would like to go to war with George W. :scared:
Which got nothing to do with religion, riiiight????
iwanttotalktoyou is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:13 pm
  #13  
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 15,883
Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
Which got nothing to do with religion, riiiight????
Both the anti-gay stance and the anti-abortion stance come directly from the religious right.
Steve_P is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:14 pm
  #14  
Now on Vancouver Island
 
Judy in Calgary's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,935
Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Hangman
what we currently have is NOT the true Conservative Party
I agree with that.

From what I've seen of him, I think Jim Prentice (Conservative MP for Calgary Centre North) is a decent bloke. But he comes from the Joe Clark Conservatives.
Judy in Calgary is offline  
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:21 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 81
iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Election's 'a comin'

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I agree with that.

From what I've seen of him, I think Jim Prentice (Conservative MP for Calgary Centre North) is a decent bloke. But he comes from the Joe Clark Conservatives.
What is this "true conservative party"??
iwanttotalktoyou is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.