Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:35 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Originally Posted by scaffroche
I had thought I failed the test here because of driving through 3 amber lights . Of course you can t jam on the brakes when the lights turn amber as you approach.
You're supposed to anticipate this by watching out for "stale" green lights. As a good driver, I thought you'd realise that.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:37 pm

Incidentally, I'm driving from downtown Vancouver to Cypress Ski Area tomorrow morning and returning early-mid afternoon, so anyone in the area might want to avoid the roads at those times.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bazzz
You're supposed to anticipate this by watching out for "stale" green lights. As a good driver, I thought you'd realise that.
Still passed ! Thought I would be penalised for it though . What no one has answered me is - If you do fail the BC drivers test , how long would it take to do it again ?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:41 pm

Still passed ! Thought I would be penalised for it though . What no one has answered me is - If you do fail the BC drivers test , how long would it take to do it again ?
Depends on the test centre and how busy it is. I think there's a minimum wait of something like two weeks. After that you can try and grab a cancellation, otherwise it could be anything up to three months.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 8:49 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of Skiing .A friend of mine has a great job in Van ! He supervises the erection of scaffolding in Whistler for TV cameras . Has been working on the scaffolding for the recent event there . The lads get their materials to the various points on the slope via the chairlifts . Then erect the first scaffold at the top of the mountain and when finished snowboard or ski down to the next location and so on and so on ... They also work on the Jump Ramps . Will be working on the Olynpics too .
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:12 pm
Banned

Of course I can t let the topic pass without mentioning the fact that I will be doing the test in an Automatic ! Easy ! ( I am inviting the rabid dogs to attack by Stating This )
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:14 pm

Of course I can t let the topic pass without mentioning the fact that I will be doing the test in an Automatic ! Easy ! ( I am inviting the rabid dogs to attack by Stating This )
I think most people do. It's one less thing for them to potentially mark you down on.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

( I am inviting the rabid dogs to attack by Stating This )
Of course you could win friends and influence people more effectively on this site if you didn't come here as a newbie, making provocative comments and then calling people names when they rise to your bait.

Just an observation.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Of course you could win friends and influence people more effectively on this site if you didn't come here as a newbie, making provocative comments and then calling people names when they rise to your bait.
<snip>

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 1st 2008 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Abusive
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have to own up: I failed the BC test first time I took it.

I was driving a manual car. I stopped a bit short at a junction (being very cautious) and could not see the cross road clearly. I revved the engine ready to let the car creep forward to the white line by slipping the clutch. The examiner thought I was about to drive out into the road (there was a car coming) and said "Stop".

This is an automatic failure. [edit: lame pun not intended]

When we got back to the test centre I whinged like bu**ery saying that although it was fair to fail me for a potentially dangerous action, it was not fair to fail me just because she thought I might do something potentially dangerous. I made the point that I thought she had forgotten to take into account the different driving techniques needed in a manual car.

As a result they found a cancellation the next day so I retook the test and passed.

It is definitely worth having a lesson with a local instructor as they can show you the routes and the likely failures (particularly the 30kph school/park zones). It is also definitely worth taking the test in an automatic.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 1st 2008 at 11:06 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Just an observation.
<snip>

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 1st 2008 at 9:34 pm. Reason: abusive
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is definitely worth having a lesson with a local instructor as they can show you the routes and the likely failures (particularly the 30kph school/park zones). It is also definitely worth taking the test in an automatic.
It's also worth doing a search of these forums to find the existing and extensive threads on taking the BC driving test.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:39 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I can assure you I am straight up but explore all possibilities , you have to . I am surprised though that a 'Canadians' licence is not acceptable in ALL Canada .
It is acceptable in all parts of Canada as long as you are visiting.

If you move to another province to live then you are obligated to get a driving licence for that province. It's really no big deal.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Indeed. My OH has a Colorado license, one of these days I suppose she should change it for an Ontario one.
Perhaps sometime before it comes up for renewal?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:46 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Biiink you are good and giving men the snip today aren't you

I arrived in Saskatchewan and was able to walk into SGI and change my UK license for a Sask one. I have been driving in North America for years through many states but eve that did not prepare me for winter driving, so if you need to have a few lessons pick their brains about black ice, snow blowing over the road then freezing, what temperatures are needed for tyres to stick to the snow, what temperature does it need to be for you to plug your car in. All this has been a learning curve for me and I passed my test in the UK 34 years ago.

Just saying it's not always that easy.

Oh and US licensing is the same as Canada if you move to a different state you have to change your license after a certain amount of time unless you are a visitor to the state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.