Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:55 am
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Of course you could win friends and influence people more effectively on this site if you didn't come here as a newbie, making provocative comments and then calling people names when they rise to your bait.

Just an observation.
You mean provocative comments like - I will be doing the test in an automatic . Easy ! God forbid ! Its not worth sounding too confident I feel because there is always someone WAITING to cut you down to size ......Go with the flow, thats what I say . I am certainly not calling anyone names . Just feel that some people like to put the boot in . I think it was obvious to any fair minded person what I meant in my original post . Maybe I should have elaborated on my point to s.p.e.l.l. it out .Better choose my words more carefully in future ! Thanks to all the people who have given me advice here .
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:01 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scaffroche
I think it was obvious to any fair minded person what I meant in my original post.
It was fairly obvious in your original post that you were looking to get one over on the system. If you weren't you would never have asked the question in the first place.

You may not have meant it this way (and you now say that you didn't) but that is how it came across, like it or not.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 1st 2008 at 10:04 am.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:03 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

You mean provocative comments like - I will be doing the test in an automatic . Easy ! God forbid ! Its not worth sounding too confident I feel because there is always someone WAITING to cut you down to size ......Go with the flow, thats what I say . I am certainly not calling anyone names . Just feel that some people like to put the boot in . I think it was obvious to any fair minded person what I meant in my original post . Maybe I should have elaborated on my point to s.p.e.l.l. it out .Better choose my words more carefully in future ! Thanks to all the people who have given me advice here .
In my opinion when I saw the title of the thread I thought it was a warning, so we all read different things into each post. Please don't read any more into the posts than there is. The people on the forum are very helpful and have helped me through my journey to Canada and by keeping me sane over the past few weeks when I have been ill, wether it be a serious question or joining in the fun on other threads.

Because we cannot see peoples body language and in my case the way I can't talk without my hands we can often read something that is not there and escalate it. Keep using this forum to its fullest it is worth it.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:05 am
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

By the way I am v excited about shipping out to Van in 6-8 weeks as are my 2 kids . Young Jack (3) cant wait to go to Can-A-daa ! Found what look like cracking furnished apartments . Arabelle Apartments in New Westminster . Reasonably priced and accept dogs . Maybe stay there for a month or so while we look for somewhere more permanent .
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

You probably didn't realise, being new and all that, but some of us on the forum have seen the driving licence threads so many times. Someone always thinks that there is a way round the BC test, but there isn't. If there was then it would be common knowledge by now. I guess the topic just wears a bit thin.
For what it's worth I found the test really simple and not a bit like I expected. I'm 53 now and last took a test when I was 17 so, yeah, I was a bit worried too. I went to the local ICBC office on a Monday and took the theory test. Passed this OK, asked to book the road test, was told I could take it the next day. Panic! Anyway, wound myself up for nothing. It was literally a drive around the town and much less stressful than I thought it would be.
I'd only been in BC for just over 2 weeks when I took the test, no time for lessons or anything, although that was the original plan.
You can obtain the Road Sense for Drivers booklet from any ICBC office for free, and it is well worth getting and having a study. You can also practice the theory test on the ICBC website.
I wish you and your family all the best of luck when you arrive in Canada.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It was fairly obvious in your original post that you were looking to get one over on the system. If you weren't you would never have asked the question in the first place.

You may not have meant it this way (and you now say that you didn't) but that is how it came across, like it or not.
For the last time - I did think it might be a way of DODGING / getting around the BC law . Did not think I would be breaking any laws . I said that an Alberta address would probably be necessary . I would be travelling there so I would naturally think CAN THIS BE DONE ? Did not realise that each province/state operated absolutely individually . Thought it may be just a case of applying in a different location for a 'national' licence . As someone referred to me - I am a newbie . Please forgive me . I have noticed that a person needs to be totally on the ball as regards posting here .Dont come across (especially a newbie) as being confident in ANYTHING . Actually I did think of stating in the 1st post that I wasnt a scammer but thought it wouldnt matter - that people would understand - obviously I was wrong . Did it not occur to anyone else that this may be a way of getting a legal 'Canadian' licence ? Until finding out otherwise . Good night.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 10:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Inse
You probably didn't realise, being new and all that, but some of us on the forum have seen the driving licence threads so many times. Someone always thinks that there is a way round the BC test, but there isn't. If there was then it would be common knowledge by now. I guess the topic just wears a bit thin.
For what it's worth I found the test really simple and not a bit like I expected. I'm 53 now and last took a test when I was 17 so, yeah, I was a bit worried too. I went to the local ICBC office on a Monday and took the theory test. Passed this OK, asked to book the road test, was told I could take it the next day. Panic! Anyway, wound myself up for nothing. It was literally a drive around the town and much less stressful than I thought it would be.
I'd only been in BC for just over 2 weeks when I took the test, no time for lessons or anything, although that was the original plan.
You can obtain the Road Sense for Drivers booklet from any ICBC office for free, and it is well worth getting and having a study. You can also practice the theory test on the ICBC website.
I wish you and your family all the best of luck when you arrive in Canada.
Well I think that if the people with hundreds of posts here havent got the patience to deal with newbies 'faux pas' they should probably move on to some other forum . After all it should be all about assisting the socalled 'newbie' ! Maybe all you Senior Members should discuss that, as I am regularly seeing 'newbies' apologising for asking a question that they probably
cant or dont know how to search out . I also see others being put in there place . Some patience please . (Having said that I regularly see the same Senior Members really going out of there way to help 'newbies' . Even answer the same questions over and over ...)A great resource .
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:20 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Still passed ! Thought I would be penalised for it though . What no one has answered me is - If you do fail the BC drivers test , how long would it take to do it again ?
So long as your 90 days is not up, I believe you can still drive on your UK license until you retake the test.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 11:22 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I think that if the people with hundreds of posts here havent got the patience to deal with newbies 'faux pas' they should probably move on to some other forum . After all it should be all about assisting the socalled 'newbie' ! Maybe all you Senior Members should discuss that, as I am regularly seeing 'newbies' apologising for asking a question that they probably
cant or dont know how to search out . I also see others being put in there place . Some patience please . (Having said that I regularly see the same Senior Members really going out of there way to help 'newbies' . Even answer the same questions over and over ...)A great resource .
I am certainly willing to help anyone and do so, but not if it something that could be considered questionable as you clearly stated in your original title.

Enough said lets move on.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
So long as your 90 days is not up, I believe you can still drive on your UK license until you retake the test.
When I failed my first test they took my UK license off me. I was not allowed to drive until I had passed.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
When I failed my first test they took my UK license off me. I was not allowed to drive until I had passed.
Sucker. You should have got an International DL before you left the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think it is that simple. If you fail the test you are not allowed to drive by yourself - you are given a provisional BC license. They have your name in their system (and in BC, one Crown Corporation controls licensing and insurance) so if you have a knock or are stopped by the police you will be in big doo doo.

We planned for it a bit as I did my test first so if, as happened, I failed Mrs JonboyE could drive me to work until her 90 days were up. As it turned out I passed the next day so it was not a big problem.

Of course, Mrs JonboyE passed first time, as she frequently reminds me.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 1st 2008 at 3:10 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:14 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Also, the international driving licence is in itself pretty useless. It's just intended to act as a translation to your actual driving licence.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 3:11 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Also, the international driving licence is in itself pretty useless. It's just intended to act as a translation to your actual driving licence.
But the crazy thing was, when we came you could drive for six months on a UK license or year on the international, which was just a piece of paper issued by the AA.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 4:20 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I hope to land in Van in 6-8 weeks . Re the 90 day driving licence rule : I will be travelling around BC and sometimes Alberta as part of my job ....now what if I were to bring my UK drivers licence with me on a trip to Alberta before the 90 days is up and exchange it for an Alberta Drivers Licence . Then use the Alberta Licence in future . Apparently you can just walk in and exchange the UK licence for the Alberta one ..... or would I need an address in Alberta ?

I plan to get an international driving permit.
That gives me 12 months instead of 90 days to get a new license sorted which will if nothing else ensures I won't be getting tested in bad weather.

Not sure about Canada but I passed a driving test in the USA when I lived there in the 90's. It was easy. A lap of the local roads round the test centre. Literally. Didnt go in reverse, no emergency stop, no maneouvres, three point turns etc. My wife passed in Kansas first time after 3 weeks of lessons (off me). Compare and contrast to her 3 failures in the UK. (She finally passed in the Isle of Man).

In the USA and hence I would think Canada, the attitude is: "Hey, people NEED a car to get about, cos the place is so darn big". The US test I took was commensurately sympathetic. It was, literally, the easiest exam I have ever taken.

Anyway, the IDP might be an idea until you can figure out a more permanent solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.