Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:35 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough
Default DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Hi, I hope to land in Van in 6-8 weeks . Re the 90 day driving licence rule : I will be travelling around BC and sometimes Alberta as part of my job ....now what if I were to bring my UK drivers licence with me on a trip to Alberta before the 90 days is up and exchange it for an Alberta Drivers Licence . Then use the Alberta Licence in future . Apparently you can just walk in and exchange the UK licence for the Alberta one ..... or would I need an address in Alberta ?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:50 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE DODGE !

Originally Posted by scaffroche
Hi, I hope to land in Van in 6-8 weeks . Re the 90 day driving licence rule : I will be travelling around BC and sometimes Alberta as part of my job ....now what if I were to bring my UK drivers licence with me on a trip to Alberta before the 90 days is up and exchange it for an Alberta Drivers Licence . Then use the Alberta Licence in future . Apparently you can just walk in and exchange the UK licence for the Alberta one ..... or would I need an address in Alberta ?
This won't work. You cannot get out of taking the test in BC. If you are not confident about passing the test have some lessons, for yours and other road users safety.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Mar 1st 2008 at 2:54 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you plan on living in B.C. then you will need a B.C. drivers licence NOT an Alberta one.

To get an Alberta licence you have to show proof that you live in Alberta, so yes you would need an Alberta address.

Why is it that people are so damned scared of taking a driving test?

IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL
Old Mar 1st 2008, 2:56 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you plan on living in B.C. then you will need a B.C. drivers licence NOT an Alberta one.

To get an Alberta licence you have to show proof that you live in Alberta, so yes you would need an Alberta address.

Why is it that people are so damned scared of taking a driving test?

IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL
I agree. Just look at the standard of some of the Canadian drivers and you'll see that a monkey with a lobotomy can get a licence.

They hand them out at Timmies with every double-double as well.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:04 pm
Banned

scaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the roughscaffroche is a jewel in the rough

IT IS A BIG DEAL if I were to fail I wouldnt be able to work . Why not do it if it were possible ? Having said that I am driving years and would consider myself a good driver . Its just that here a person can be failed on the least thing /sometimes for having a ----- of a driving tester !
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:07 pm
Banned

Oh yeah ! I regularly drive on the right side of the road on trips to the continent .
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

There is no dodge. If you're coming to BC then you have to take the test, simple as that!
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:08 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
I agree. Just look at the standard of some of the Canadian drivers and you'll see that a monkey with a lobotomy can get a licence.

A large number don't know how to drive, they would not last a day in London! Just started my trips around the lower mainland again and have to deal with idiots who cannot drive: don't know how to make a turn, don't use signals, ignorant, won't let traffic filter in, jump red lights, block the intersection so they can get across a light, think that cutting in front will get them where they want to go 3 seconds sooner, any gap you leave for safety has to be filled (then put their breaks on), when traffic is passing other traffic think if they tailgate the one at the back the whole line will go faster for them, pull out in front of you even when there is a huge gap behind you - then drive at 30k, semi trucks that follow so close that if you stop they'll go over you.

Now I am hitting the red again and I was doing so good and getting down to a green.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Just look at the standard of some of the Canadian drivers and you'll see that a monkey with a lobotomy can get a licence.
I'm pretty sure that Toronto taxi drivers do their licensing backwards, getting their cab licence first then their driving licence (Maybe a new career choice for WelshChem).

The line-up at Second Cup is shorter.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:14 pm
Banned

IT IS A BIG DEAL if I were to fail I wouldnt be able to work . Why not do it if it were possible ? Having said that I am driving years and would consider myself a good driver . Its just that here a person can be failed on the least thing /sometimes for having a ----- of a driving tester !
Driving in BC as a resident for any extended period of time with an Alberta license is likely to be a far bigger deal. You might want to check how your employer would feel about this and also find out if your insurance would cover you. Having a ding then finding you are not covered would be too risky for me.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:16 pm
Banned

I was going to finish my original post by saying that I am NOT one of these people that is always looking for an easy way out ( oooh I hate people like that ). Just something that crossed my mind .... I am actually getting a company car on arrival in Van and it wouldnt be v nice to fail the test and have to hand the car back !
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:17 pm

http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_re..._new.asp#other
Originally Posted by the above web site
To qualify for a B.C. licence, you will need to pass a road signs test, a knowledge test, a vision screening and a road test. You will also need to meet the medical and application requirements.
Driver licencing resources and manuals available at this link: http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_ut...source&man.asp

You can get a head start on your studying.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Driving in BC as a resident for any extended period of time with an Alberta license is likely to be a far bigger deal. You might want to check how your employer would feel about this and also find out if your insurance would cover you. Having a ding then finding you are not covered would be too risky for me.
You mean that if a Canadian was to move from say Ontario to BC that they would have to change the licence over ?
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:20 pm

You mean that if a Canadian was to move from say Ontario to BC that they would have to change the licence over ?
Yes.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yes.
More like the EU so than actually 1 country wow .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.