Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:50 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

[QUOTE=Obancop;6943350]
Originally Posted by pgtips

Oh and please remember who is still the head of state of Canada and where your loyalties lie.

I never accepted her as head of state, My true king lives in exile
I will care for and protect my fellow man to the best of my abilities for as long as i can draw breath, but don't ask, or tell me to cowtow to a german import.
one day Scotland will be free again, and hopefully Canada too.

One day maybe, but for now Her Majesty Queen of England is your head of state. Rule Britania !!! Bow your head in shame before she lets her corgi's loose on you. grrrrrrr

Last edited by pgtips; Nov 5th 2008 at 4:57 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Er, Amin croaked in 2003.
My error. Thanks Souv.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
My error. Thanks Souv.
No probs. The world would have been a better place if had he carked in '79.

Or, indeed, many years earlier.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:11 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

[QUOTE=Flogger;6943423]
Originally Posted by Obancop

prat

Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
PMSL

I had felt sorry for them earlier as it looked like they were getting a lot of stick but if it is such heaven here then it is very surprising that anyone would jeopardise that for just a couple of years maybe in another country regardless of the great job etc... yawn...
Oh, get a grip. Christmasoompa has put her case well. Many of us on these boards have moved to Canada on a TWP because the opportunity arose to relocate through work. Of those, many were relatively comfortably off and living in relatively safe and pleasant parts of the UK. I certainly was - I came to Canada for the opportunity it presented, not to "jeopardise" anything in the UK. I plan to stay here permanently, but plans may always change.

Just one other comment to posters who seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the validity of people's contributions here. The name of the board is "British Expats" - not emigrants, not permanently-moved-overseas. There are many thousands of expats who are living and workign outside the UK because they've been posted or transferred by their employers, for short-term, long term or permanently. It doesn't somehow make them any less of an expat because they haven't jumped through as many hoops or waited as long to be processed.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:31 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh, get a grip. Christmasoompa has put her case well. Many of us on these boards have moved to Canada on a TWP because the opportunity arose to relocate through work. Of those, many were relatively comfortably off and living in relatively safe and pleasant parts of the UK. I certainly was - I came to Canada for the opportunity it presented, not to "jeopardise" anything in the UK. I plan to stay here permanently, but plans may always change.

Just one other comment to posters who seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the validity of people's contributions here. The name of the board is "British Expats" - not emigrants, not permanently-moved-overseas. There are many thousands of expats who are living and workign outside the UK because they've been posted or transferred by their employers, for short-term, long term or permanently. It doesn't somehow make them any less of an expat because they haven't jumped through as many hoops or waited as long to be processed.
Quite. I've been here over eight years now and will probably stay here until the close of play. If, on the other hand, I win 649 tonight, I'll be out of here like a shot. Not because I don't like it here; just because there are places in this world I (we) would rather live in.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:31 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, get a grip. ....I came to Canada for the opportunity it presented, not to "jeopardise" anything in the UK. I plan to stay here permanently, but plans may always change.

I think you should become Capt Sensible for the day for this contribution
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm very sorry for those that are struggling to get to Canada with the current economic climate, of course I am. But I fail to see how I'm responsible for making them feel worse about it - is it my fault?
Not your fault for other people having a tough time. But sometimes a bit of tact is called for.

When people are speaking of difficulties with removals, job hunting, CIC problems, losing a fortune on their house etc etc it's not exactly "music to their ears" to come along and say that not only is a job lined up (with more money too from this - as you said - huge promotion?) but all those other things are being organised for you.

You're forgetting that those of us that are leaving on a 'temp basis purely for work' don't have any pain, stress or trauma as somebody else arranges everything.

All of our packing, pet passports & transport, house rental etc is being done for us. Even accommodation, schools and cars are being sorted for our arrival.
It doesn't have to be boasting, just thinking before speaking.

Tempting though it would be to let people know about a big lottery win, if you came across someone who'd just lost everything in some sort of disaster, I doubt you would flash your cash saying "look what I won!"

You could still have said what you wanted but beginning with a "we are lucky enough...." would have made such a difference.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:14 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

There are also plenty of other posts about relocation packages - do a search of the forum and you'll realise how common it is and how many of us are getting them.
Money schmoney. You might get all the relocation $ and bling but you'll never be as happy as someone who really wants it, really works at it, and really makes it succeed for them. You'll never have "that" happiness

You're just there for the easy ride. Another tea drinking fake tuppence herbert who'll be back to Ye Olde Worlde Empyre within 1-2 years.

<discuss>

R.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:19 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Money schmoney. You might get all the relocation $ and bling but you'll never be as happy as someone who really wants it, really works at it, and really makes it succeed for them. You'll never have "that" happiness

You're just there for the easy ride. Another tea drinking fake tuppence herbert who'll be back to Ye Olde Worlde Empyre within 1-2 years.

<discuss>

R.
yeah you tell 'er Rich

We had to get down and dig it out, put our life on hold for three years and worry if any family incident would come along during your time in emigration limbo that would completely derail your plans. never mind the money stuff and worrying about work (never occurred to me I may not be able to get a job)

Well we are happy snappy now
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I wouldn't comment but give the woman a break from what I've seen on this forum she's been very helpful to a lot of people and seems like a really nice lady.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:23 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Normally I wouldn't comment but give the woman a break from what I've seen on this forum she's been very helpful to a lot of people and seems like a really nice lady.
Yeah you tell 'em Elaine!

It is only a Mary Antoinette moment (let them eat cake type message) and she has been helpful (I am not being facetious while saying this, she has helped)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:24 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

<discuss>

R.
I'll see your "discuss" and raise you a "total claptrap."

Who is to say how you achieve - or define - success? To quote Iaink's old adage: a happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant. If all the job hunting, applications/interviews, no-Canadian-experience stuff is taken out of the equation, the chances of being able to enjoy your location - wherever you are - are vastly increased.

Take my example. I asked for, and was granted, an opportunity within my company to move to Toronto. Because it was a requested transfer and not a posting, I didn't get the full relocation package, but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I didn't have to "really want it, really work at it" - I raised the possibility, said yes when a formal proposal was made, sat back and waited for it to happen. How can you possibly suggest that that somehow makes me less able to succeed, or to experience "that" happiness?

I say again, your assertion is completely wrongheaded and stems from a position of either misunderstanding or wilful ignorance that you would utterly deride in others.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Yeah you tell 'em Elaine!

It is only a Mary Antoinette moment (let them eat cake type message) and she has been helpful (I am not being facetious while saying this, she has helped)
Gotcha but I posted my comment before I read yours
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:28 pm
Happy in NB

I'll see your "discuss" and raise you a "total claptrap."

Who is to say how you achieve - or define - success? To quote Iaink's old adage: a happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant. If all the job hunting, applications/interviews, no-Canadian-experience stuff is taken out of the equation, the chances of being able to enjoy your location - wherever you are - are vastly increased.

Take my example. I asked for, and was granted, an opportunity within my company to move to Toronto. Because it was a requested transfer and not a posting, I didn't get the full relocation package, but that's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I didn't have to "really want it, really work at it" - I raised the possibility, said yes when a formal proposal was made, sat back and waited for it to happen. How can you possibly suggest that that somehow makes me less able to succeed, or to experience "that" happiness?

I say again, your assertion is completely wrongheaded and stems from a position of either misunderstanding or wilful ignorance that you would utterly deride in others.
I'll see your 'total claptrap', and raise you a 'completely off topic response'

(and save some pixels by using single quote marks)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.