British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Don't Trash the UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/dont-trash-uk-570724/)

sarah_matt Nov 2nd 2008 1:44 pm

Don't Trash the UK!

One thing that annoys me is all the bad things people are saying about the UK. Yes we have moved to Canada, but we have no trouble in moving back to the UK. Its a great place with a great location for traveling to Europe etc. One thing I have found living in NS is that most Canadians ask why Canada espically NS because there is nothing to do here. Most of them think that the UK is a really good and find it strange when negative things are said about the place. Over here they have Canada Day Celebrate there country, in England we seem to just like to down ourselves instead of celebrating our country and all the great things about it. So if you don't get to Canada, think on this, Tens of thousand of people leave England but in a year or so alot of them come back. Rule Brittannia!! God save the Queen. :D

chumley Nov 2nd 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Don't Trash the UK!

personal view though really

I absolutely loath the uk and all that is has become if I thought otherwise I would not have left.....

If my immigration is unsucessful for any reason I will never ever set foot in the UK again and will simply seek another more civilised nation

my view is that the UK is a now a basket case:ohmy:

montreal mike Nov 2nd 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by chumley (Post 6932996)

I absolutely loath the uk and all that is has become if I thought otherwise I would not have left.....

If my immigration is unsucessful for any reason I will never ever set foot in the UK again and will simply seek another more civilised nation

I've been gone some 46 years so I can't really judge

so my question to you is: Why?

raine66 Nov 2nd 2008 2:32 pm

Oh that good old saying 'never say never' springs to mind.

So are you not planning on going back even to visit with family or friends?

earlswoody Nov 2nd 2008 2:38 pm

Good post, the UK is a great place to live and I did not realise how good it was till I moved to Australia:unsure::

sarah_matt Nov 2nd 2008 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 6933013)
I've been gone some 46 years so I can't really judge

so my question to you is: Why?

Why what? If you are refering to why England is great well I was born there so you normaly support your own country. But I don't want this to be to serious it was a support to the people who seem to get all there hopes on Canada where all I am saying is that if you don't make it England is not all bad. Remember leaving family and friends is hard. And us brits have the whole of europe to live without paper work. There is no eutopia anywhere.

Steve_P Nov 2nd 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by sarah_matt (Post 6933054)
Why what?

If you had read Montreal Mike's response correctly you would realise he is asking Chumley, not you. ;)

Flogger Nov 2nd 2008 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by sarah_matt (Post 6933054)
Why what? If you are refering to why England is great well I was born there so you normaly support your own country. But I don't want this to be to serious it was a support to the people who seem to get all there hopes on Canada where all I am saying is that if you don't make it England is not all bad. Remember leaving family and friends is hard. And us brits have the whole of europe to live without paper work. There is no eutopia anywhere.

My,we have got a cob on today haven't we?:wub:

Rich_007 Nov 2nd 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by sarah_matt (Post 6932964)
Rule Brittannia!! God save the Queen. :D

You didn't mention the war and 1966 and all that jazz. zzz

R.

Flogger Nov 2nd 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007 (Post 6933073)
You didn't mention the war and 1966 and all that jazz. zzz

R.

cucumber sandwiches and those hilarious saucy seaside postcards, oh how i laughed :zzz:

christmasoompa Nov 2nd 2008 3:29 pm

I think it depends on whereabouts you are in the UK and what your lifestyle is like. Personally, I don't understand why Chumley has said what he has. Not that I don't believe him, but I think he and I have obviously had very different experiences of living in the UK.

I see no negatives at all about this country but I live in a lovely village, can afford a nice life, have never had any personal experience of crime (touch wood that continues), have never come across any kind of 'yobbish' behaviour and have no issue with the politics that bother some people as they don't affect me personally. I love the countryside, right to roam, promiximity to Europe, outdoor lifestyle, proper seasons, politeness, television, education, etc, etc (I could go on!) of the UK. Plus I'm very close to my family and have good friends so that is obviously another positive, being close to them.

I'm looking forward to going to Canada to experience life there for a couple of years, and to discover another country, but am fairly sure that we'll be returning to our lovely lives here and don't see Canada convincing us to stay long term over the UK. But who knows??

A lot of the time when I see people bashing the UK in threads, I do have to ask myself if we're living in the same country because it just bears no relation to what I know. but, as I said above, I obviously have had a different experience of living here to others.

:)

earlswoody Nov 2nd 2008 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 6933117)
I think it depends on whereabouts you are in the UK and what your lifestyle is like. Personally, I don't understand why Chumley has said what he has. Not that I don't believe him, but I think he and I have obviously had very different experiences of living in the UK.

I see no negatives at all about this country but I live in a lovely village, can afford a nice life, have never had any personal experience of crime (touch wood that continues), have never come across any kind of 'yobbish' behaviour and have no issue with the politics that bother some people as they don't affect me personally. I love the countryside, right to roam, promiximity to Europe, outdoor lifestyle, proper seasons, politeness, television, education, etc, etc (I could go on!) of the UK. Plus I'm very close to my family and have good friends so that is obviously another positive, being close to them.

I'm looking forward to going to Canada to experience life there for a couple of years, and to discover another country, but am fairly sure that we'll be returning to our lovely lives here and don't see Canada convincing us to stay long term over the UK. But who knows??

A lot of the time when I see people bashing the UK in threads, I do have to ask myself if we're living in the same country because it just bears no relation to what I know. but, as I said above, I obviously have had a different experience of living here to others.

:)

Post of the day :thumbsup:

Rich_007 Nov 2nd 2008 3:46 pm

Then I think you're point of migrating is, uh, pointless and you'll end up unhappy.

R.

kirstya Nov 2nd 2008 3:52 pm

Great post but this little part is our thinking too...
And who knows what the future will bring...

Danny B Nov 2nd 2008 3:52 pm

Are you loaded?