Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jan 30th 2015, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Shard
Maybe he's thinking, are there freight trains in England? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any. Most freight is transported by road.
There you go, a person that has lived in England for some time has no idea that lots of freight is transported by train; I do accept that Shard isn't a lawyer
Old Jan 30th 2015, 6:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There you go, a person that has lived in England for some time has no idea that lots of freight is transported by train; I do accept that Shard isn't a lawyer
Not quite "no idea" more a case of not seen any. But as you say UK does have decent rail frieight operations and from what I have just read, it seems to be a buoyant sector. Current freight market share is about 11%. Finally, compliment accepted.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
Lack of knowledge is just as bad in the UK.

I remember once a girl was helping me find a guide to Eastern Europe in a bookstore in London, after a while she said (I kid you not) "here's a book on Asia, is Asia in Eastern Europe?".
A few months ago, we have a student from U of Alberta (may have been BC, cant remember now), selling educational books for kids.
Upon hearing my accent, she asked where I was from etc, but then asked if the UK was in Europe. This was a university student.... selling educational material for children. My mind was boggled.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jericho79
This was a university student.... selling educational material for children. My mind was boggled.
I've had *all sorts* of stupid things said to me that demonstrate that Canucks are equally as ignorant as Yanks about other countries. That said, when back home I've also heard some seriously ignorant things said by people who I would expect to know better.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

[QUOTE=caretaker;11549654]
Originally Posted by xxdb
Canadians are unfunny people
I don't know how to respond to that, I feel sort of passive/agressive.
Good one. Maybe hanging out here is rubbing off on you.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That would be reassuring. Sadly the question came following my reference to catching a train when I lived there.
Aren't they a bit heavy for that?
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they teach geography in school in Canada? Just curious, never went to school here. In the 80's and 90's when I was in school in California, they dumped geography and so I never learned it in school. I am not 100% in where what is, but I have a pretty good idea of what region of the world something is in.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do they teach geography in school in Canada? Just curious, never went to school here. In the 80's and 90's when I was in school in California, they dumped geography and so I never learned it in school. I am not 100% in where what is, but I have a pretty good idea of what region of the world something is in.
Good point. I've never heard of my two boys doing a class called "geography" or "history". They do something called "social studies" instead. That said, though they taught Geography in the UK when I was a kid, you had to actually *pay attention* to learn anything.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Good point. I've never heard of my two boys doing a class called "geography" or "history". They do something called "social studies" instead. That said, though they taught Geography in the UK when I was a kid, you had to actually *pay attention* to learn anything.
I can't off-hand think of the class name, but yeah, geography seemed to get lumped with history & what I would call "general" studies when my lot were at school here.

Back in the Dark Ages when I did O level geog. at school in England, an inordinate amount of the course was about Canada... I still retain odd bits of information (West coast fishing industry, trains, & bits of geology??!!??) which surface & are useful from time to time . I dropped A level after a particularly horrendous week in Wales on a field trip.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 6:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They used to teach us a lot about other countries in Social Studies back in the stone age, geography, industry, agriculture, why to this very day I know that they mine tin in Bolivia and the capital of New Zealand is Wellington. My parent's huge collection of National Geographic magazines from the 20's onward and a 4" thick bound collection of Chums from the turn of the century through the 20's were just as educational though. We had to learn all the states in the union and their capitals which didn't seem fair as even if they cared the Americans would have it much easier memorising our provinces.

Last edited by caretaker; Jan 31st 2015 at 7:06 pm. Reason: once again, for the sheer joy of editing
Old Jan 31st 2015, 7:18 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

my reference to catching a train
Aren't they a bit heavy for that?
Not the Light Rail ones
Old Jan 31st 2015, 7:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of learning geography at school - or not - wasn't it interesting just to randomly turn over the pages in an atlas and see where places were?

I still do it now, except mostly on line instead.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Most rail freight in the UK moves at night so as not to interfere with faster or high speed passenger trains. I lived within 50 feet of a main line and i could set my watch by the time a bulk train came through every night, the semi bungalow i owned would rock as it went by lol Although after a while you just sleep through it.
I did Geography at school but a new fancy class just started called Social Studies lol so i did both for a while, I don't use an atlas now i prefer Google Earth it works much better and Google Mars too.

Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a watch like that.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Jan 31st 2015 at 9:10 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.