Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Oink
There is a void of human spirit, an absence of anything worthwhile and their Mexican food is shit.
Time to start cooking Mexican food Oink, it's fun and delicious. Your fish and prawns are a natural introduction.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 2nd 2015 at 9:13 pm. Reason: I wanted to substitute one word for another, duh.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Time to start cooking Mexican food Oink, it's fun and delicious. Your fish and prawns are a natural introduction.
I've tried to make fish tacos but they came out a bit tasteless.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Lost Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know much about other parts of Canada, but a major annoyance is the Nova Scotian unwavering belief that their province is the best, most amazing and beautiful place on the planet. The delectable vista of flat swamp lands and scrubby black spruce, awesome, why would anyone want to go anywhere else?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lost Boy
I don't know much about other parts of Canada, but a major annoyance is the Nova Scotian unwavering belief that their province is the best, most amazing and beautiful place on the planet. The delectable vista of flat swamp lands and scrubby black spruce, awesome, why would anyone want to go anywhere else?
Cheaper milk and eggs?
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Caldo de pescados, o de mariscos, there's lots more than trendy street food. I've never had fish tacos but I'm willing to put my life on the line in the cause of science.
I learned to make somosas ( or whatever they're called in each particular quarter of the world) simply by refusing to believe I couldn't learn to to something the entire southern hemisphere finds second nature.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 2nd 2015 at 11:36 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Caldo de pescados, o de mariscos, there's lots more than trendy street food. I've never had fish tacos but I'm willing to put my life on the line in the cause of science.
I learned to make somosas ( or whatever they're called in each particular quarter of the world) simply by refusing to believe I couldn't learn to to something the entire southern hemisphere finds second nature.
Thanks for the suggestions. While shopping with HID on Sat. we popped into a run down looking oyster bar for a few nibbles and had a pretty fair section of mussels, clams oysters etc. We didn't have much to drink as we were driving but our bill came to $180 before the naffing tip, we could of gone somewhere nice for that. I've come the conclusion that seafood is best caught than bought.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lost Boy
I think you could extend this mentality to Canadians in general, who just think their country is the absolute best. (Whilst being totally ignorant of things going on outside of Canada/USA)

Spoiler alert! No country is "the best". No, Novo, not even my beloved Malta
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Gozit
I think you could extend this mentality to Canadians in general, who just think their country is the absolute best. (Whilst being totally ignorant of things going on outside of Canada/USA)

Spoiler alert! No country is "the best". No, Novo, not even my beloved Malta
They should have gone to Spec Savers.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
Like I said, professional circles and also like I said, just in my experience.
We mix in similar professional circles to back home.... And we have been welcomed with open arms, no protectionism at all. People who are well travelled and not in the slightest bit racist. Not like some of the comments that are posted on here from Brits looking to escape their overrun immigrant country...
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 2:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
We mix in similar professional circles to back home.... And we have been welcomed with open arms, no protectionism at all. People who are well travelled and not in the slightest bit racist. Not like some of the comments that are posted on here from Brits looking to escape their overrun immigrant country...
I have to agree with Tirytory. We have a similar mix of friends to those we had back in the UK. They are certainly no more bigoted or narrow minded. I don't really understand the sentiment that Canadians don't have a sense of humour either. We have the same boozey Saturday night get togethers with our neighbours here like we used to. The wine flows, the silly conversation begins and a good time is had by all. I haven't experienced any overt racism either.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:15 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Use beef. It's better
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jandro
It could depend on what part of Canada your in. In Vancouver, for example, I don't find people all that friendly beyond superficial niceties. Social get togethers after work are virtually non-existent unless your accepted into their cozy clique. When I was growing up in Canada years ago I thought people were more friendly.
Got it in one.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shard
Oil patch?
No, much worse. Law.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:44 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
No, much worse. Law.

Canadian lawyers do tend be a bit full of themselves.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Been following this and all im going to say is, as someone who had recent problems, (not for this thread) owing to them my rent cheque bounced, when the super came to serve the papers giving me 14 days to make good, inside was $200 and a note saying "don't tell, just pay me back when you got it" (needless to say the first thing i did was repay this) to make up the difference so i could get a bankers draft to pay the rent on time...I don't think a UK landlords rep would have given a rats backside to my situation and seen me out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.