Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Ontheroadoflife
Been following this and all im going to say is, as someone who had recent problems, (not for this thread) owing to them my rent cheque bounced, when the super came to serve the papers giving me 14 days to make good, inside was $200 and a note saying "don't tell, just pay me back when you got it" (needless to say the first thing i did was repay this) to make up the difference so i could get a bankers draft to pay the rent on time...I don't think a UK landlords rep would have given a rats backside to my situation and seen me out.
Just out of interest I'd like to try one of those "pay it forward" at a coffee shop somewhere in the UK that you've heard work successfully a couple of times in the US and Canada. Bet it would only go 2 or 3 people before someone would be like.... ..... thanks for the free coffee sucka
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:36 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Just out of interest I'd like to try one of those "pay it forward" at a coffee shop somewhere in the UK that you've heard work successfully a couple of times in the US and Canada. Bet it would only go 2 or 3 people before someone would be like.... ..... thanks for the free coffee sucka
Not exactly Pay It Forward...but good intentions still exist in Blighty...

Alan Barnes: Disabled mugging victim fund reaches £160k in three days - BBC News
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:54 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
We mix in similar professional circles to back home.... And we have been welcomed with open arms, no protectionism at all. People who are well travelled and not in the slightest bit racist. Not like some of the comments that are posted on here from Brits looking to escape their overrun immigrant country...
Well said. I work in a hospital and ave met the usual types of people here as in the UK.

Buying a round? Happens all the time.

There are differences of course but they are cultural and don't signify anything better or worse in character. One thing that I've noticed here that is far, far better than ever happened in Britain is that people are much more helpful and supportive of disability. I find it much easier to be deaf in this country where people consistently make an effort to include me, to help.

Some of the nastiest, meanest people I've come across here are English.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not exactly Pay It Forward...but good intentions still exist in Blighty...

Alan Barnes: Disabled mugging victim fund reaches £160k in three days - BBC News
Ohh that was awesome! Don't get me wrong, I know the grass isn't always greener and people will have different experiences for sure
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 12:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh that was awesome! Don't get me wrong, I know the grass isn't always greener and people will have different experiences for sure
Yeah it is awesome.

I agree that PIF wouldn't last many customers in the UK. Far too much cynicism prevails for that American guff.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
No, much worse. Law.
Oh! I was baffled by your earlier post because I don't meet enough Canadians for it to matter what they're like. The workforce here is from the four corners of the earth. "What's s/he on about?" I wondered, in politically correct fashion, "the Canadians are all cops or lawyers or in government".

Now I see. My daughter is a Canadian lawyer married to a Canadian lawyer who's father is a Canadian lawyer, their friends are, well you know. That's a clique far removed from ordinary society, a bit like the Hutterites.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 1:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a clique far removed from ordinary society, a bit like the Hutterites.
"You wanna buy some CORN? Or maybe SUE somebody? We got chickens and litigation cheap today!"
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 2:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
One thing that I've noticed here that is far, far better than ever happened in Britain is that people are much more helpful and supportive of disability.
I've never pushed anyone in a wheelchair in the UK but the thoughtfulness shown when I'm out with my wife in hers do make me wonder if it would be the same in the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've never pushed anyone in a wheelchair in the UK but the thoughtfulness shown when I'm out with my wife in hers do make me wonder if it would be the same in the UK.
Conversely my son has special needs and we have had a terrible time in the school system until I read the riot act to them from the statute of education and threatened to sue. Even then, not everyone holds their tongue. In the UK he was handled very carefully and with a lot of compassion and he did great there.

Now obviously that doesn't diminish your experience but I have definitely not found the Canadians to be awesome people at all. On average I like them slightly less than my own people and my wife and sons like them a lot less.

And on the other hand, my friends from the same part of town as us have been treated great in Vancouver. We've only ever lived in Toronto or Calgary so maybe those two cities in particular are soulless but who knows, I've read others complaining about Van.

Bottom line: If you come here, there's some risk you might not meet awesome people. You might meet horrible people or even just simply be ignored.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 3:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have extensive experience of traveling with a disabled person. The day-to-day kindness and accommodation shown throughout the US and Canada (except at the Seventh Wave restaurant on Queen St. E.) has been outstanding. However, the disabled person aged out of the support system in Canada and so it was no longer prudent for her to live here.

In short then, people in North America generally very supportive, institutional support systems not much good.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh! I was baffled by your earlier post because I don't meet enough Canadians for it to matter what they're like. The workforce here is from the four corners of the earth. "What's s/he on about?" I wondered, in politically correct fashion, "the Canadians are all cops or lawyers or in government".

Now I see. My daughter is a Canadian lawyer married to a Canadian lawyer who's father is a Canadian lawyer, their friends are, well you know. That's a clique far removed from ordinary society, a bit like the Hutterites.
So, so true. I am in an office of about 75 government lawyers, all of whom are Canadian with one exception - me.

All things considered I think I'd have been better off taking my chances with the Hutterites.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What do the following countries have in common

The UK, Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand and the Bahamas?
They are de facto countries where English is the official language.
Don't you think that all of these countries have differences between each other?
So I suggest that anyone living in the UK who is thinking of moving to one of these countries accept the fact that there will be differences some good and some bad. If you expect them all to be like the UK and have no differences
THEN DONT MOVE.
Me thinks the Brits protest too much when things aren't the same or what they are used to when living/working or visiting other countries.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 6:47 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Don't you think that all of these countries have differences between each other?
So I suggest that anyone living in the UK who is thinking of moving to one of these countries accept the fact that there will be differences some good and some bad. If you expect them all to be like the UK and have no differences
THEN DONT MOVE.
Me thinks the Brits protest too much when things aren't the same or what they are used to when living/working or visiting other countries.

It beats me how people can generalise so much? The group I have met are like this so therefore all people are like this.

Tbh I think when people complain like that it makes me question what about them makes people respond to them in such a manner....
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 6:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Tirytory

Tbh I think when people complain like that it makes me question what about them makes people respond to them in such a manner....
This.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

THEN DONT MOVE.
No issue that there are cultural differences, that much is obvious. I don't think most people who emigrate to other countries are stupid enough to think otherwise.

It's the depth of the negative differences that has shocked me, and that's something you can only truly appreciate through experience, in my case 5 years in Canada. Other people will clearly either have genuinely different, more positive experiences than I (in which case good luck to them) or are wilfully closing their eyes to the obvious in order to justify their decision to move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.