Reload this Page >

Decided not to go

Decided not to go

Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decided not to go

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The distinction is very important, because it can be the difference between being able to earn a living in your field or having to do something else to earn a living in Canada - like driving a taxi.
...or becoming the international director of a multi-national corporation controlling billions in investments and earning a 7 figure salary (don't think he's licensed).... Just because you can't go into your licensed profession, doesn't mean you are destined to drive a taxi forever.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

P & K is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my opinion, but I really can't see how walking straight into your chosen job/profession once in Canada can be a defining reason as to whether to take the plunge and emmigrate or not.

Surely non-monatary lifestyle decisions must be far more important? The quality of life for us or our child (if we eventually get the nod) cannot be primarily evaluated upon where we work or how much we are bringing in.

Far more important than job quality (IMO) will be the quality of parks, the quality of the recreational facilities, the quality of the neighbourhood, the quality of the schools, the quality of the people we and our child meet, the quality of the nearest lake/ski resort etc etc...

From the origional post it appears that both parties are professional people. I'd assume therefore that they may have some equity to put down a decent deposit on a house in Canada (maybe have no mortgage to pay at all, like some on here). From then on in the short/medium term covering the mortgage by any means possible would be my only concern. If that means working in Starbucks/Macdonalds etc then so be it - (again this is only my opinion) that is an insignificant price to pay IF the lifestyle factors live up to expectations.

As a newcomer and essentially a guest to Canada I'm not expecting a damn thing from them. The big buzz for us is the prospect of being enchanted by the place we chose to live in, the surrounding area, the freedom & joy it may provide our little boy....

We may be there 6 weeks we may be there 40 years..who knows. May love it, may hate it. One things for sure we'll have a great time finding out. If we find Canada as dull as dishwater, or I suddenley realise that pouring one more Latte will drive me insane..then we'll buy a nice bottle of wine have a laugh about it and come back to Blighty.
Yes, if it doesn't work out our son will have had his schooling disrupted. But will he not gain more than he'll lose by having the experience of interacting with a myriad of different people from different cultures?
It seems to me that for every negative I can come up with, I find myself thinking of several positives to blow the doubts out of the water - a bit like Agassi returning a Henman serve..

Of course we are all different and we all look at things in different ways, some may see my attidute as somewhat irresponsible. BUT one thing I know for sure that is pretty much consistant for everyone having gone this far - the 'What If' factor eats away at us all.

It saddens me to see people like Mr/Mrs Liftman (having come so far & having patently invested so much emotionally) eventually decide that they cant/wont go through with it. Ultimately it's your life, your decision and it must be respected. Trouble is IF the employment factor is the main barrier, then having read many of your posts I can't help thinking that you have a good chance of finding the professional niche that you require eventually. The only question is how long, and could you hold out?

Sorry to read of your decision, you never know, you may wake up one morning and think "'sod it' lets go for it, you only live once" - either way good luck.

Last edited by P & K; Nov 26th 2004 at 11:43 am. Reason: missed the start out (copy and paste job from notepad)
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P & K
Just my opinion, but I really can't see how walking straight into your chosen job/profession once in Canada can be a defining reason as to whether to take the plunge and emmigrate or not.

Surely non-monatary lifestyle decisions must be far more important? The quality of life for us or our child (if we eventually get the nod) cannot be primarily evaluated upon where we work or how much we are bringing in.

Far more important than job quality (IMO) will be the quality of parks, the quality of the recreational facilities, the quality of the neighbourhood, the quality of the schools, the quality of the people we and our child meet, the quality of the nearest lake/ski resort etc etc...

From the origional post it appears that both parties are professional people. I'd assume therefore that they may have some equity to put down a decent deposit on a house in Canada (maybe have no mortgage to pay at all, like some on here). From then on in the short/medium term covering the mortgage by any means possible would be my only concern. If that means working in Starbucks/Macdonalds etc then so be it - (again this is only my opinion) that is an insignificant price to pay IF the lifestyle factors live up to expectations.

As a newcomer and essentially a guest to Canada I'm not expecting a damn thing from them. The big buzz for us is the prospect of being enchanted by the place we chose to live in, the surrounding area, the freedom & joy it may provide our little boy....

We may be there 6 weeks we may be there 40 years..who knows. May love it, may hate it. One things for sure we'll have a great time finding out. If we find Canada as dull as dishwater, or I suddenley realise that pouring one more Latte will drive me insane..then we'll buy a nice bottle of wine have a laugh about it and come back to Blighty.
Yes, if it doesn't work out our son will have had his schooling disrupted. But will he not gain more than he'll lose by having the experience of interacting with a myriad of different people from different cultures?
It seems to me that for every negative I can come up with, I find myself thinking of several positives to blow the doubts out of the water - a bit like Agassi returning a Henman serve..

Of course we are all different and we all look at things in different ways, some may see my attidute as somewhat irresponsible. BUT one thing I know for sure that is pretty much consistant for everyone having gone this far - the 'What If' factor eats away at us all.

It saddens me to see people like Mr/Mrs Liftman (having come so far & having patently invested so much emotionally) eventually decide that they cant/wont go through with it. Ultimately it's your life, your decision and it must be respected. Trouble is IF the employment factor is the main barrier, then having read many of your posts I can't help thinking that you have a good chance of finding the professional niche that you require eventually. The only question is how long, and could you hold out?

Sorry to read of your decision, you never know, you may wake up one morning and think "'sod it' lets go for it, you only live once" - either way good luck.
Very well said. I completely agree.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree with everything you just said.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

I can see where you are coming from, but I would rather be employed in my profession in the UK than work in MacDonalds in Canada.

For me, my job is more than how much money it brings in, it is a part of who I am.

As far as your approach to moving to Canada is concerned, I think it is good that you are keeping an open mind as to how long you will stay. It sounds as if you will find alot of things in Canada that you are looking for. If getting into a particular profession isn't a big deal then that is another hurdle removed.

We still haven't decided whether we are staying yet, but it has been a worthwhile life experience even if we do end up losing out financially by going back. However, if we had thought for one minute that we couldn't have worked in our particular professions, Canada wouldn't have even been a consideration.

Chris
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Nice post Jonny...........sometimes we can get caught up in things and forget the adventure/change of lifestyle, involved with a move across the pond.
Jobs are important but lets face facts it's US that have to adapt not the Canadians (although it makes economic sense for the provinces to be a lot more flexible).

Mike
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:26 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny
I agree with everything you just said.
Here Here I second what P & K said

Our family are of the opinion that the Uk has done nothing for us, our kids hate their schools, I dislike my job, as does my wife. We can see no future in the UK, if we want to stay we shall expect to see taxes rising again, the dreaded council tax going up again, which I currently pay £1800 pounds a year for ( HATE THIS TAX ).

All I can see is a future of rising everthing !!!!!!!!!!! and the yobs are taking over the asylum !!!!!!!!

Eddie.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

...or becoming the international director of a multi-national corporation controlling billions in investments and earning a 7 figure salary (don't think he's licensed).... Just because you can't go into your licensed profession, doesn't mean you are destined to drive a taxi forever.
Oh, you mean Michael Lee-Chin? Actually, he would have to have been licensed to sell mutual funds:

http://www.aic.com/en/main/home.asp?...l_Lee_Chin.asp

http://www.caribvoice.org/Business/chin.html

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 26th 2004 at 12:36 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, you mean Michael Lee-Chin? Actually, he would have to have been licensed to sell mutual funds:

http://www.aic.com/en/main/home.asp?...l_Lee_Chin.asp

http://www.caribvoice.org/Business/chin.html
I have no idea who he is... I was just giving a hypothetical example. The point was that there are plenty of jobs around that you do not need a license for. Instead of bitching about the fact that Canada won't change it's system to suit you so you'll have to drive a taxi forever, you could try adapting a little and do something else, but if you really do want to do that job then don't assume that because you are licensed to do it elsewhere you are entitled to be able to do that job in Canada. And remember that immigration and getting a job are two separate issues, so if CIC accepts your qualifications, don't assume that a prospective employer will.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:00 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

I have no idea who he is... I was just giving a hypothetical example. The point was that there are plenty of jobs around that you do not need a license for. Instead of bitching about the fact that Canada won't change it's system to suit you so you'll have to drive a taxi forever, you could try adapting a little and do something else, but if you really do want to do that job then don't assume that because you are licensed to do it elsewhere you are entitled to be able to do that job in Canada. And remember that immigration and getting a job are two separate issues, so if CIC accepts your qualifications, don't assume that a prospective employer will.
That's true, but this issue seems to be where too many newcomers to Canada get hung up.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:21 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, but this issue seems to be where too many newcomers to Canada get hung up.
Although I have a job to go to in Canada, I'm not going because the streets are all paved with gold. Going to Canada has always been about a change of lifestyle and making a new start. It has never been about employment. I feel very, very lucky that I am able to get a job at the same level in my chosen profession. I was quite prepared to be doing bar/ barissta/ burger work to make ends meet when I came over. The fact that I don't have to do that is a bonus, and nothing more than that.

If emigrating is just about money, then what is the point in doing it at all??
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:21 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Since my original post I've followed this thread and there have been several good posts including the one by P & K.

However, I think the point is somewhat being missed here. It's not a case of people coming to Canada and then whining about not being able to find a job in their chosen profession. It's about the fact that people are being intentinally missled to believe that they WILL find a job in their chosen profession. On the one hand the Canadian government are telling prospective immigrants that there is a shortage of professionals in Canada but on the other hand the licensing bodies are denying those immgrants once they've paid large amounts of money to get here.

Bit of a cash cow if you ask me.

But then what do I know.........I only lived and worked in Canada for 8 years........
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indybrit
Since my original post I've followed this thread and there have been several good posts including the one by P & K.

However, I think the point is somewhat being missed here. It's not a case of people coming to Canada and then whining about not being able to find a job in their chosen profession. It's about the fact that people are being intentinally missled to believe that they WILL find a job in their chosen profession. On the one hand the Canadian government are telling prospective immigrants that there is a shortage of professionals in Canada but on the other hand the licensing bodies are denying those immgrants once they've paid large amounts of money to get here.

Bit of a cash cow if you ask me.

But then what do I know.........I only lived and worked in Canada for 8 years........
Might seem a strange point, but if I was one of these lucky "licensed professionals" thinking of emigrating to Canada, and I was desperate to stay in my "profession", I would check whether I could find work and my qualifications were acceptable first with prospective employers and those who provide the license, then consider CIC's requirements, i.e. treat my immigration as completely separate from my employment. If you know you have to be licensed to do your job in the UK (or another country) and there are criteria you have to meet, wouldn't you look into whether you qualify for a license in Canada before paying large sums to CIC? I think I would...

Last edited by Jonny; Nov 26th 2004 at 1:43 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:47 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Might seem a strange point, but if I was one of these lucky "licensed professionals" thinking of emigrating to Canada, and I was desperate to stay in my "profession", I would check whether I could find work and my qualifications were acceptable first with prospective employers and then consider CIC's requirements, i.e. treat my immigration as completely separate from my employment. If you know you have to be licensed to do your job in the UK (or another country) and there are criteria you have to meet, wouldn't you look into whether you qualify for a license in Canada before paying large sums to CIC? I think I would...
You make a very good point. However, not everyone thinks alike and that is why discussions like this on these forums are so invaluable to prospective immigrants.

By the way Jonny, I lived in Ontario for 8 years and I know things can be very different from one province to another.
Whereabouts in Canada do you live??
Old Nov 26th 2004, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indybrit
You make a very good point. However, not everyone thinks alike and that is why discussions like this on these forums are so invaluable to prospective immigrants.

By the way Jonny, I lived in Ontario for 8 years and I know things can be very different from one province to another.
Whereabouts in Canada do you live??
I don't yet... Married to a Vancouverite and we're heading out there next Wednesday. Will be staying as a tourist until my spousal PR comes through (just waiting for that passport request), then will just drive to the border to land...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.