Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Decided not to go

Decided not to go

Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:14 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Decided not to go

Originally Posted by JAJ
NZ is a small economy, although perhaps opportunites there are better than in Nova Scotia. Some people like NZ, others don't - so it's important to check it out carefully. Most jobs in NZ are in the Auckland region, but this has high costs and congestion.

Australia's track record in accepting immigrant skills - especially from countries with similar education systems - is not perfect, but seems to be streets ahead of Canada.

NZ is probably similar to Australia in this respect, again check this out.

As ocean notes, Canadian policies can differ from province to province (more so than in Australia, and NZ is a unitary state) so looking at other alternatives within Canada might be worth it.

Jeremy
Excellent points there Jeremy. New Zealand is a gorgeous country, but quite a few Kiwis have been heading for Australia. Both NZ and Australia may very well be "streets ahead of Canada" as far as accommodating someone like Mrs. Liftman.

As I have stated previously, licensing for the occupations and professions comes under provincial jurisdiction. Hence, the rules to obtain a licence to work in a profession (and some occupations) can vary from province to province. It can't hurt firing off a few emails to some other Canadian provinces.

One thing that really struck me about Mrs. Liftman's case is how unprofessionally the authorities in Nova Scotia have handled her case. I can almost guarantee that this won't be the case with Ontario, Alberta or BC, since they handle thousands of similar cases every month.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 21st 2004 at 4:53 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats too bad, understandable you don't want to take a $17k gamble with your lives.

All the best

Ray
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:36 pm
Go placidly.....

Troublesome is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=liftman]Thought you would all like an update on whats happening.

Errr...can I be party pooper here? I know it's frustrating and INCREDIBLY small minded, and a bit of a cheek. I appreciate, because I'm doing the same thing, how much hard work you've done....and it is a lot of money, particularly if you have to save it...but .....IF they agree with Mrs Liftman's qualifications that's potentially a lot of years earning power in Canada, isn't it?

Regards

'Put your head over the parapet and get it shot off' Troublesome
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:56 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Troublesome]
Originally Posted by liftman
Thought you would all like an update on whats happening.

Errr...can I be party pooper here? I know it's frustrating and INCREDIBLY small minded, and a bit of a cheek. I appreciate, because I'm doing the same thing, how much hard work you've done....and it is a lot of money, particularly if you have to save it...but .....IF they agree with Mrs Liftman's qualifications that's potentially a lot of years earning power in Canada, isn't it?

Regards

'Put your head over the parapet and get it shot off' Troublesome
If Mrs. Liftman's credentials aren't accepted, then that's a lot of wasted money and effort.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 4:59 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I am very sorry, but not remotely surprised to read your post. You faced what I faced, but at least you still have your home etc. in the UK. Some of us had written jobs offers that vapourized on arrival...and could not afford to go back.

You are both an example to Canada of their utterly stupid protectionist policies that need to be kicked into touch. I hope that you find somewhere that will appreciate you...even it is a different part of the UK. BC will be just as bad if not worse than NS, so don't bother considering here. New Zealand......you might want to do what you just did in terms of research. While the qualification issue might be more easily overcome, the way of life is very very behind the times and it is a small job pool. NZ immigrants from the UK also return in similar numbers. There has to be a reason. Best of luck for the future.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 5:24 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dingbat
I am very sorry, but not remotely surprised to read your post. You faced what I faced, but at least you still have your home etc. in the UK. Some of us had written jobs offers that vapourized on arrival...and could not afford to go back.

You are both an example to Canada of their utterly stupid protectionist policies that need to be kicked into touch. I hope that you find somewhere that will appreciate you...even it is a different part of the UK. BC will be just as bad if not worse than NS, so don't bother considering here. New Zealand......you might want to do what you just did in terms of research. While the qualification issue might be more easily overcome, the way of life is very very behind the times and it is a small job pool. NZ immigrants from the UK also return in similar numbers. There has to be a reason. Best of luck for the future.
Actually, I don't think Mr. Liftman has a problem being able to work in his trade in Canada. The problem regarded Mrs. Liftman's occupation.

BC may or may not be willing to let Mrs. Liftman sit their examinations, but at least they will be more "professional" (than NS) about how they respond to her.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 5:37 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dudes,

Sorry to hear of your plight and decision - but you know you have to do what 'feels' right.

Emigration is a big deal espaecially with little 'uns education and future to consider on top. As well as the angst, worry and frustrations that take their toll, there's the need to 'feel' that it's right and that your skills and ability is recognised, valued, and wanted.

If it 'feels' wrong based on the facts and the opportunities then you'd be crazy to take such a high risk.

All the very best for whatever future you decide to pan out with. Life's tough, don't make it any tougher than need be.

Rich and Nicky.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Actually, I don't think Mr. Liftman has a problem being able to work in his trade in Canada. The problem regarded Mrs. Liftman's occupation.

BC may or may not be willing to let Mrs. Liftman sit their examinations, but at least they will be more "professional" (than NS) about how they respond to her.

Sorry to read of your decision but fully understand the wheres and what fors. My husband lived in Greenwood for many years while stationed there with the RCAF in the 1980's and his son still lives in Halifax. Jim's favorite saying about NS is that "it is 1956 forever" there in their approach to life and government. We see and hear it often from his son and daughter-in-law about work and schooling.

NS' lost, Liftman. Take the advice of some of the others and checkout Ontario and some of the other provinces. Personally I love Ontario and would move there in a heartbeat but unfortunately, because I would be denied the opportunity to work as a paralegal or legal secretary due to the inability to learn French and my having survived breast cancer in '92, I would be unable to work and obtain national healthcare. FTR my hearing impairment makes the learning of a new language almost impossible.

Good luck in your search for a new place to call home.

Rete
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

high.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nice

That's a real shame. I think your situation has been very enlightening for most of us currently in the process. Good Luck with future endeavours.

h.r
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Rete
Personally I love Ontario and would move there in a heartbeat but unfortunately, because I would be denied the opportunity to work as a paralegal or legal secretary due to the inability to learn French and my having survived breast cancer in '92, I would be unable to work and obtain national healthcare. Rete
? Knowledge of French is not required by Ontario to be a paralegal, legal secretary or pretty much anything else. Where did you get your information? You must have meant Quebec.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:08 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Yes, this is indeed a very sad situation. Another example of how the professional Canadian licensing bodies are a bunch of prima donna's who lead everyone to believe that a Canadian qualification is superior to the rest of the world.
Let's face it, looking at the lack of doctors and general medical staff particularly in Ontario, who are they protecting and who's interests are they really looking out for? Certainly not the hospitals or people of Ontario. At the last count there were 50,000+ people in Waterloo region without a family doctor. Yet without an "Ontario" doctors certificate then it's near impossible to become licensed.
It's even bad from province to province. A friend of ours is a neurological surgeon. He's licensed in Ontario, Quebec, BC and Nova Scotia. Recently he was offered a position by a hospital in Winnipeg, MB. 6 months, $8,000 and an unsurmountable amount of grief later he was finally granted a Manitoba license.
It seems fairly obvious that the licensing bodies are protecting nothing more than their own interests in securing their own jobs.
Here in the U.S. it's quite a lot different. Right now there is a positive push to lure nurses to the U.S. and there are immigration companies that link healthcare providers with foreign nurses to get them here easier (yes I have a link to a web site that deals with just that).

So to prove my point I just spent a couple of minutes on workopolis (the Canadian recruitment site) and here's some requirements for some professional jobs, the first one is a killer:

Career Management Program
-A university degree from a recognized Canadian University. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. You must indicate your citizenship in your cover letter/resume. (Could this be classed as discrimination??)

IBM Canada - Test Lead/ Test Manager
-This position is open to qualified Canadian citizens, living in or willing to personally relocate to Toronto. (Even IBM won't consider employing qualified permanent residents - discrimination??)

Software Developer (WL-W)
-Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering from a recognized Canadian University.

Automotive Controller
-Full C.A., C.M.A or C.G.A. Required please do not apply of you do not have one of these designations from an accredited Canadian University.

Physiotherapist - Grade 1
-Graduation with a baccalaureate degree in Physiotherapy from a Canadian University or an approved school.

Quality Control Chemist
-B.Sc. Science degree from a recognized Canadian University or equivalent.

Now, as for the advertisements stating "Canadian Citizens Only" I did a search on this. McMaster University, Grand River Hospital and Hamilton Health Sciences all state for advertised jobs the following: "In accordance with Canadian Immigration Requirements, priority will be given to Canadian Citizens and permanent residents of Canada". This statement then implies that Immigration Canada require that Canadian Citizens and permanent residents be treated equally.

Just showed the wife this. Me thinks IBM will be getting a call Monday Morning, after she's called immigration Canada of course.....
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear this.

Thanks for the info you've given us and we wish you all the best for the future.

G&P
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

The recognised Canadian University degree bit is a bit misleading , if you can get your transcripts from your UK uni converted via a Canadian Uni , that will do just as well. What they are trying to stop is those folks who may have got one of those Micky Mouse online university degrees from the US or degrees from countries where Universities are not up to par with Western ones.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:28 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indybrit

So to prove my point I just spent a couple of minutes on workopolis (the Canadian recruitment site) and here's some requirements for some professional jobs, the first one is a killer:

Career Management Program
-A university degree from a recognized Canadian University. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. You must indicate your citizenship in your cover letter/resume. (Could this be classed as discrimination??)

IBM Canada - Test Lead/ Test Manager
-This position is open to qualified Canadian citizens, living in or willing to personally relocate to Toronto. (Even IBM won't consider employing qualified permanent residents - discrimination??)

Software Developer (WL-W)
-Bachelor or Master degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering from a recognized Canadian University.

Automotive Controller
-Full C.A., C.M.A or C.G.A. Required please do not apply of you do not have one of these designations from an accredited Canadian University.

Physiotherapist - Grade 1
-Graduation with a baccalaureate degree in Physiotherapy from a Canadian University or an approved school.

Quality Control Chemist
-B.Sc. Science degree from a recognized Canadian University or equivalent.

Now, as for the advertisements stating "Canadian Citizens Only" I did a search on this. McMaster University, Grand River Hospital and Hamilton Health Sciences all state for advertised jobs the following: "In accordance with Canadian Immigration Requirements, priority will be given to Canadian Citizens and permanent residents of Canada". This statement then implies that Immigration Canada require that Canadian Citizens and permanent residents be treated equally.

Just showed the wife this. Me thinks IBM will be getting a call Monday Morning, after she's called immigration Canada of course.....
I have lost count of the amount of times I was asked for proof of citizenship when I was a PR on job application forms......I have even been asked to fax through my citizenship "papers" (a plastic card) since I became a citizen. I became one for purely job related reasons. There is no other incentive.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ray1968
What they are trying to stop is those folks who may have got one of those Micky Mouse online university degrees from the US or degrees from countries where Universities are not up to par with Western ones.
Like a degree in Surfing, 'Life' Studies, Lifestyle Consultancy etc?
All offered by UK Universities.

As what I heard from someone 'in power':
"Standards haven't changed, and it's not a numbers game"

Oh well............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.