Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Crime in Canada?

Crime in Canada?

Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:32 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crime in Canada?

Originally Posted by shabby1
Just been asked by my 9yr old if that means he'll get beaten up for wearing his Liverpool FC top? He's got no worries about possibly moving to a new country, new school, new friends etc......but God forbid anyone should stop him wearing his favourite top!?
My five year old wears his, and his two world cup England shirts and so far no problems :scared:

About the only thing that has came from it is people stopping us and saying oh your English, most of whom are also English. Of course have to put record straight and tell them two kids maybe but I'm Scottish (god forbid ).

Raine
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daedra
Oooh found a good website... Statcan is the official statistics gatherer for Canada so I believe these guys.
My friend Linda works for StatsCan, she says they make it all up.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:53 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
My friend Linda works for StatsCan, she says they make it all up.
yes but don't you know it's in the GOVT's interest to put out red herrings... Look at the whole Kennedy assasination and the Roswell incident for example... as for your friend, have you had a good whiff of her lately? Any hint of fish?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:49 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

from the horses mouth, people shoot people here and there.
the latest killing in manchester is just the one you have heard about, in the last month alone there have been dozens of shootings and murders, i know, i've been to lots of them.
in the last week in edmonton they had 3 murders in 1 day and several gang related shootings. cops over there deal with these serious incidents though, less then i and visibly baulked at some of the regular things i deal with, unarmed and alone. the frequency there is not on a par with the uk for any crime apart from minor drug use in some areas.
the various surveys are twisted to suit, i know, i contribute to the stats and see how they are compiled.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

What are you lot like!

I just saw on the news that there's been a big firearms raid in Dartford, Kent. I used to live there Crime is everywhere and not even Canada is perfect. The B & B people we stayed with outside of Halifax told us there is a lot of petty crime where they live 'cos they're out in the country. We saw a few road signs that had been graffitied with swear words
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:09 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

When my natural son came to visit recently he brought my un-natural son an England football shirt as a pressie. The latter has been wearing this on the streets of Quebec and has so far remained unscathed.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:56 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

yes but don't you know it's in the GOVT's interest to put out red herrings... Look at the whole Kennedy assasination and the Roswell incident for example... as for your friend, have you had a good whiff of her lately? Any hint of fish?

Just like to point out that 74% of statistics are just made up
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:03 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
Just like to point out that 74% of statistics are just made up
LOL! I'll never trust another statistic again
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:08 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I think you get a better quality of criminal in Canada
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:17 pm

LOL! I'll never trust another statistic again
A wise move. I once read a book called "How to lie with statistics". Very illuminating. If I recall, there is valid statistical proof that people who eat pickled onions are more likely to die in plane crashes than those who don't.

I particularly like the claims made by food companies. "80% fat-free!!!!!". In other words, 20% pure fat.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech

Do you Bleech? Please share your ideas?
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:11 pm

Oh indeed!

Take, for example, Alfonso Gagliano. A criminal of such high calibre that the government made him Canada's ambassador to Denmark.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
Senile Member

When I first arrived in the UK years ago, I couldn't believe that people's homes were getting burgled while the people were still in there... I know it's wrong but, I used to picture a polite English robber apologising for interupting the home-owners evening and asking them to please pack up all their valuables into his van.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:18 pm

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Do you Bleech? Please share your ideas?
Ringing the doorbell before you get robbed is very courteous

Seriously though, crime obviously exists here, but it just feels safer.
I think the crime in England was more intimidating and more in your face. Most everyday crimes that people come up against are local kids vandalising cars, breaking windows, giving you abuse at the local Spar or beating up some poor kid on the Taxi rank down town. The local petrol station was the classic meeting point for hooded kids in England and they'd all be drinking and giving you abuse (just like we used to do!!). You see it and hear of it everyday in England. It gets to a point when even the good kids who hang around in groups become intimidating even though they've done nothing or wont do anything wrong.
When you hear of a murder or a beating here, it's mainly gang related and generally not unprovoked as it was back there. The 'yoof culture' doesn't seem to exist (I'm talking Kelowna here). I think that's the main difference.

Last edited by Bleech; Sep 13th 2006 at 1:22 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:19 pm

When I first arrived in the UK years ago, I couldn't believe that people's homes were getting burgled while the people were still in there... I know it's wrong but, I used to picture a polite English robber apologising for interupting the home-owners evening and asking them to please pack up all their valuables into his van.
I think sales of black and white striped jumpers and bags with 'swag' written on them are down these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.