British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Citizenship time line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/citizenship-time-line-806305/)

Paul_Shepherd Jan 31st 2014 1:51 am

Re: Citizenship time line

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11105481)
Yeh you need to have been in Canada 3 years in the last 4 years. There are exceptions though, like being away from Canada with a Canadian spouse.

But yeh you be ok listing vay Kay outa Canada from Jan 31, 2010

Yes ive been here over 4 and half years now, in that time ive had a few trips out of Canada, but the total absent time wouldn't add up to more than a year out of the last four years, so i assume listing the absent days within the last four years will still satisfy the requirements.

magnumpi Jan 31st 2014 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 11105500)
Yes ive been here over 4 and half years now, in that time ive had a few trips out of Canada, but the total absent time wouldn't add up to more than a year out of the last four years, so i assume listing the absent days within the last four years will still satisfy the requirements.

Make sure you dont miss any, they do look at your passport when you go for the test

hpka Jan 31st 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11105539)
Make sure you dont miss any, they do look at your passport when you go for the test

With that in mind, do you have to take an old, expired, passport with you to the test? I renewed my passport within my 4 year period...

Former Lancastrian Jan 31st 2014 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by hpka (Post 11106535)
With that in mind, do you have to take an old, expired, passport with you to the test? I renewed my passport within my 4 year period...

Once we start processing your case, we will send you a notice confirming we have received your application.

We will send a second notice inviting you to a CIC office for an interview. You must bring several documents to the interview, including your PR card. The notice will list all the documents you must bring.

You can check the status of your application online. You can also check the status of your application by contacting the Call Centre.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...come-after.asp

magnumpi Jan 31st 2014 6:48 pm

Yes if like u said u renew within the 4 years. And copy pages from both showing the stamps

Paul_Shepherd Jan 31st 2014 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11105539)

Hi again Magnum,

That opens up another query...I have listed my absent days on the form, and they match my passport stamps (for the last four years) however on a couple of the trips I cant remember how long I was away from Canada, I know at least one trip was only for ten days, but there is no way I can confirm this as you only get your passport stamped on your return to Canada.

I do know that none of the trips exceeded 14 days at a time, is it safer to list all the trips as 14days, id imagine its best to say you were out the country longer than you actually were rather than the other way around.

Cheers

Paul.

magnumpi Feb 1st 2014 1:20 am

Just tell the truth and put 10 days

Paul_Shepherd Feb 1st 2014 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11107029)
Just tell the truth and put 10 days

That's just the problem though I don't know which trips were for 10 days and which were for 14 days. I only have the dates I returned to Canada stamped in my passport not the dates when I departed.

iancampbell9 Feb 1st 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 11108024)
That's just the problem though I don't know which trips were for 10 days and which were for 14 days. I only have the dates I returned to Canada stamped in my passport not the dates when I departed.

Did you not book online - do a search of your emails for flight details, thats what I had to do.

Paul_Shepherd Feb 1st 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by iancampbell9 (Post 11108173)
Did you not book online - do a search of your emails for flight details, thats what I had to do.

I thought about doing that....but im pretty sure I have deleted stuff that goes back that far, however its worth a try, fourtrips in fours years....the details sort of merge into one and its hard to distinguish what you did and when that long ago now.

Lorna_D Feb 1st 2014 11:36 pm

We applied for Citizenship March 2012, we received confirmation within two weeks. We are over 55 so no test, we were called for our our paperwork check on Monday 27 Jan and will be called for the our Ceremony within the last 2 weeks of March. 2 years from when we applied.

You need to take the passport with you that you used when you originally applied.

magnumpi Feb 2nd 2014 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 11108394)

You need to take the passport with you that you used when you originally applied.

That and any old passports that you had during the four year period, i had two to show as i got a new passport just over a year ago.

Lorna_D Feb 2nd 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11108479)
That and any old passports that you had during the four year period, i had two to show as i got a new passport just over a year ago.

They only look at the passport that had stamps in it that corresponded with the information we gave on our forms. As our application was in for almost 2 years our current one was not needed or even looked at. We used our PR card and the 2 proofs of residency in Sask where our driving licence an health card. It was the easiest part of the whole process.

bats Feb 2nd 2014 1:06 pm

Yes you do. My husband had lost his old one so we had to provide copies of bills, car insurance, tax etc to prove that he was in Canada for that period.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 2nd 2014 2:49 pm

Ive got a couple of questions as I can apply for citizenship now...

1. My current passport has no stamps as neither the US or Canada seems to stamp them anymore when going across the border.

2. Since I don't have entry/exit stamps and I can no longer find the emails from airlines and never save boarding passes and since some trips were crossing by car there would be no proof of this that I could provide.

Do I estimate the dates the best I can and explain I don't have the exact dates?

I am not sure the best way to deal with this.

I've got plenty of proof I was in Canada during the time, lots of mail from Canada Revenue, and BC provincial agencies, tax returns, medical records, etc.

3. My US Passport will likely need to be renewed before I get citizenship, so will copies of the old passport work in the event I no longer have it?

The last time I renewed my US Passport they didn't return the old one with the new, they are supposed to, but it never showed up, so I just like to see what one should do if the old passport isn't returned.