British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Citizenship time line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/citizenship-time-line-806305/)

magnumpi Aug 17th 2013 1:20 pm

Citizenship time line

I did a little search but still have a "Quick question" :)

I received my Book and a letter saying i need to learn to read and write English and speak some at the upcoming test. Ohh my !! (still req even though we now send proof that we are of the English speaking people land)

Question is: How long after getting the book and vague letter was you called up for the test ?

I am in Ontario, East Toronto, most likely go to Scarborough office for test.

Thanks

MikeUK Aug 17th 2013 1:54 pm

Re: Citizenship time line

About a year for me.........

magnumpi Aug 17th 2013 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 10855288)
About a year for me.........

Ouch thanks :@(

bats Aug 17th 2013 4:22 pm

Less than a year, but we didn't have to do the test.

adele Aug 17th 2013 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855254)

I received my Book and a letter saying i need to learn to read and write English and speak some at the upcoming test. Ohh my !! (still req even though we now send proof that we are of the English speaking people land)

Question is: How long after getting the book and vague letter was you called up for the test ?

Thanks

I applied in April 2012, still no test date :-(

I'm in Vancouver, BC and received a residence questionnaire in May 2013. Still a long road ahead, I fear. It think it varies a lot, from office to office and case to case. How many days' presence did you apply with?

magnumpi Aug 17th 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by adele (Post 10855684)
I applied in April 2012, still no test date :-(

I'm in Vancouver, BC and received a residence questionnaire in May 2013. Still a long road ahead, I fear. It think it varies a lot, from office to office and case to case. How many days did you apply with?

I applied in May 2013, but i presumed if they sent a book about Canada and a sheet saying they may want to hear me speak Englusko then I was at least half way there?

So a year from booklet being received sounds bout right then, maybe ?

bats Aug 17th 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855725)
I applied in May 2013, but i presumed if they sent a book about Canada and a sheet saying they may want to hear me speak Englusko then I was at least half way there?

I'd bet money on it being less than a year for Scarborough.

MikeUK Aug 17th 2013 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10855740)
I'd bet money on it being less than a year for Scarborough.

for me it was just under, got the book in Nov 2011, Test, in oct 2012, cermeony in Nov 2012

adele Aug 17th 2013 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855725)

I got the Discover Canada book within a few weeks of applying, then nothing until the RQ a few months ago. Hope yours is quicker!

SambaDeAmigo Aug 18th 2013 2:35 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855254)

Thanks

About a year and a half for me. Things should be quicker now that they have more staff processing the applications.

Feel free to get the citizenship app in my sig btw

danfolkestone Aug 18th 2013 4:35 pm

I applied October, 2011 and received the book December 2011. They started processing my application December, 2012 and requested finger prints in January 2013. I've heard nothing since.

It does seem that some applications are randomly much faster than others - as if applications are sometimes picked up from the wrong pile - so your application could turn out very different from mine.

the undutchables Aug 18th 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by danfolkestone (Post 10856864)
I applied October, 2011 and received the book December 2011. They started processing my application December, 2012 and requested finger prints in January 2013. I've heard nothing since.

It does seem that some applications are randomly much faster than others - as if applications are sometimes picked up from the wrong pile - so your application could turn out very different from mine.

You need fingerprinting for the citizenship test? Does the checks done for PR not count?

PeterF Aug 18th 2013 8:09 pm

I posted my application about a month ago. Wondering how long before i get a confirmation letter.

MarkG Aug 18th 2013 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by the undutchables (Post 10856913)
You need fingerprinting for the citizenship test?

Some do, some don't. My name is the same as a convicted murderer, so they always want fingerprints from me.

Doesn't seem to cause much delay if you do the electronic fingerprints rather than the old ink and paper route.

SimonB1964 Aug 19th 2013 4:17 pm

Mine was 11 months about 4 years ago. My sisters applied 5 months ago and they have been told it can take up to 26 months now, this is in London, Ontario.

Scrapcat Aug 19th 2013 4:47 pm

Applied Oct 2010, had to fill in RQ, test next week, so almost 3 years for us. Shame we've now decided to go back although we still intend to do the test given that we've paid for it and waited so long!

AllyS Aug 21st 2013 7:23 pm

I'm worried about having to send the application package to Novia Scotia! convinced its going to get lost in transit never to be seen again!!

mumof2 Aug 23rd 2013 3:33 pm

Applied May 2012, had booklet & the further residency questionaire start processing Sept 2012....not heard a thing in NS

magnumpi Aug 23rd 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by mumof2 (Post 10865810)
Applied May 2012, had booklet & the further residency questionaire start processing Sept 2012....not heard a thing in NS

So getting the book means Jack!!!! it is just a way of saying we got the application, saves money on postage sending both the Letter and the book I suppose?

jaysangha Aug 26th 2013 4:34 pm

I applied a month ago and was told processing time is 25 months assuming the application meets all the requirements and includes all the information required.

MarkG Aug 26th 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10866182)
So getting the book means Jack!!!! it is just a way of saying we got the application, saves money on postage sending both the Letter and the book I suppose?

Basically.

However, when you get the letter saying you have a citizenship test next week, you'll regret leaving the book lying around for a year without learning anything :).

not2old Aug 26th 2013 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scrapcat (Post 10858453)
Applied Oct 2010, had to fill in RQ, test next week, so almost 3 years for us. Shame we've now decided to go back although we still intend to do the test given that we've paid for it and waited so long!

it says here as of June 2013 average wait time 24 months, give or take a bit

http://www.cicnews.com/2013/06/canad...ay-062543.html

According to recent statistics, individuals who are eligible for Canadian citizenship today may not become citizens in time to vote in the 2015 federal election. Delays in application processing, which range from 21 to 29 months, have left over 24,000 individuals waiting to take the final step in their journey to becoming Canadian.

Scrapcat Aug 26th 2013 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 10870627)
it says here as of June 2013 average wait time 24 months, give or take a bit

[/I][/B]

But when we applied 34 months ago it was only meant to take 19 months....

Oh well, test tomorrow, hope we pass!

not2old Aug 26th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scrapcat (Post 10870683)
But when we applied 34 months ago it was only meant to take 19 months....

Oh well, test tomorrow, hope we pass!

way too long:eek: Good luck BTW

Imagine if an ex-pat purposely came to Canada with the intention of staying the minimum time required to get citizenship - they'd likely, the way the wait times are going be in Canada twice as long as they'd expected.

Its all a money grab

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...processing.asp

FYI, I checked the CIC website for processing times & they're saying 25 months for routine applications & 35 months for non-routine. I guess most (excuse of CIC) is non rountine

Rrunner Aug 26th 2013 9:58 pm

I went through Scarborough - booklet sent to me within a week or so of application. 9 months later notice of test, with two weeks notice. Oath one month after that so 11 months start to finish.

magnumpi Aug 27th 2013 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Rrunner (Post 10870970)
I went through Scarborough - booklet sent to me within a week or so of application. 9 months later notice of test, with two weeks notice. Oath one month after that so 11 months start to finish.

Wow, I can't believe the diferance between one poster and the next. Lets hope for the 11 month one then :@)

Rrunner Aug 27th 2013 12:53 am

And at the time I applied it was a 21 month projection online, so the averages worked for me in that example.
I have friends in Ottawa who applied as a family at the same time and one of them has had fingerprints request and nothing heard since.
It truly seems to be a lottery.

danfolkestone Aug 28th 2013 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 10857157)
Some do, some don't. My name is the same as a convicted murderer, so they always want fingerprints from me.

Doesn't seem to cause much delay if you do the electronic fingerprints rather than the old ink and paper route.

Mine were required for a similar reason, but I don't know what crime my namesake had committed.

The amount of delay seems variable - I had mine done electronically 7 months ago and have heard nothing since.

SambaDeAmigo Aug 28th 2013 10:28 pm

I received an RQ but it surprisingly didn't delay my appointment to take the test.

Scrapcat Aug 28th 2013 11:17 pm

Passed :) Ceremony should be in October so a 3 year timescale for us.

flat to the mat Aug 29th 2013 12:02 am

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 10870589)
Basically.

However, when you get the letter saying you have a citizenship test next week, you'll regret leaving the book lying around for a year without learning anything :).

Spot on , major 6 days swatting in our household :D

JonboyE Aug 29th 2013 3:25 am

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 10870796)
Imagine if an ex-pat purposely came to Canada with the intention of staying the minimum time required to get citizenship - they'd likely, the way the wait times are going be in Canada twice as long as they'd expected.

Good. If someone comes to Canada for the sole purpose of getting citizenship, and b*gg*r*ng off once they have it, I am quite content that they have to wait.

Its all a money grab
How?

jcd Oct 1st 2013 6:01 am

Hi we live in Vancouver BC

We applied for our citizenship Feb 2012, they acknowledged receipt about 6 weeks later

Husband , had to be finger printed may 2013,

called for exam mid July 2013, had our citizenship cermony a week ago.

just for info they only give you 10 days notice for the exam and the cermony!

Glad its all done, just have to apply for passports now

paolosmythe Oct 2nd 2013 4:10 pm

how long after the exam are you notified of whether you passed or not?

do they let you know immediately?

I wonder what happens to those that fail?
instant deportation or do you just sign something to state you understand why you got those questions wrong? :p

magnumpi Oct 2nd 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jcd (Post 10925185)
Hi we live in Vancouver BC

We applied for our citizenship Feb 2012, they acknowledged receipt about 6 weeks later

Husband , had to be finger printed may 2013,

called for exam mid July 2013, had our citizenship cermony a week ago.

just for info they only give you 10 days notice for the exam and the cermony!

Glad its all done, just have to apply for passports now

10 days is plenty time to re-read the book I think.

MarkG Oct 2nd 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by paolosmythe (Post 10927628)
how long after the exam are you notified of whether you passed or not?

do they let you know immediately?

In some cases -- e.g. if they're doing the ceremony the same day -- yes. In others, no.

I wonder what happens to those that fail?
It used to be an interview with the citizenship judge, but I believe they now give you a second chance at the test before they go that far.

laidback4 Oct 3rd 2013 9:44 pm

We applied for citizenship in September 2012. Last week we received letters telling us to go to Hamilton to write the test today, which we did. They then marked them while we were being interviewed afterwards so we got the results the same day. We were advised that the citizenship ceremony will be in 4 - 6 weeks time.

Scrapcat Oct 22nd 2013 12:48 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if they actually want us to be citizens :( Passed our tests at the end of August (both got 100% :) ) and were told to expect ceremony this week. We heard that other Brits who came to the test the same day as us had received invites and we'd had nothing. We called CIC and apparently there's nothing wrong with our applications but we weren't getting invites this time.... no idea why.
37 months now since we first applied and still not citizens!

misplacedheidi Oct 22nd 2013 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Scrapcat (Post 10955927)
I'm beginning to wonder if they actually want us to be citizens :( Passed our tests at the end of August (both got 100% :) ) and were told to expect ceremony this week. We heard that other Brits who came to the test the same day as us had received invites and we'd had nothing. We called CIC and apparently there's nothing wrong with our applications but we weren't getting invites this time.... no idea why.
37 months now since we first applied and still not citizens!

Just curious but, why do you want to be citizens when you are seemingly going back?

Scrapcat Oct 22nd 2013 10:36 pm

We might want to come back again sometime! Plus we've paid our $500 and it gives our daughter more options in her future...