British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Citizenship time line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/citizenship-time-line-806305/)

PeterF Oct 22nd 2013 10:47 am

Re: Citizenship time line

Applied in July, no word yet, just wish they'd send some sort of 'yes we received your application' letter, email even as they ask for it on the form.

magnumpi Dec 5th 2013 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855254)
I did a little search but still have a "Quick question" :)

I received my Book and a letter saying i need to learn to read and write English and speak some at the upcoming test. Ohh my !! (still req even though we now send proof that we are of the English speaking people land)

Question is: How long after getting the book and vague letter was you called up for the test ?

I am in Ontario, East Toronto, most likely go to Scarborough office for test.

Thanks

Ohh poo, test is in two weeks, in Mississauga, Dec 20th. :thumbsup:

Where did i hide that freeking book

bats Dec 6th 2013 12:45 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11023341)
Ohh poo, test is in two weeks, in Mississauga, Dec 20th. :thumbsup:

Where did i hide that freeking book

not Scarborough? how odd

magnumpi Dec 6th 2013 1:23 am

Its maybe part of the test, see if the applicant can navigate across the GTA

JamesM Dec 6th 2013 1:23 am

Applied for my citizenship last month.

Hopefully the process is as drawn out as PR as I enjoy using the term "Canadian" derogatorily.

magnumpi Dec 6th 2013 1:28 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11023800)
Applied for my citizenship last month.

Hopefully the process is as drawn out as PR as I enjoy using the term "Canadian" in a derogatorily way.

8 to 9 months from application till test, going off my time lime :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

JamesM Dec 6th 2013 1:40 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11023803)
8 to 9 months from application till test, going off my time lime :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

How many times can one resit the test?

magnumpi Dec 6th 2013 3:36 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11023819)
How many times can one resit the test?

Duno? There are 20 questions, not sure how many % is required.

dgagitw Dec 6th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11024000)
Duno? There are 20 questions, not sure how many % is required.

75%. You get to make 5 mistakes... So, when was confederation?

:)

danfolkestone Dec 6th 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11023803)

or 25 months going off mine, and potentially much longer if you get the dreaded Residency Questionnaire.:(

ann m Dec 7th 2013 2:22 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10855254)
How long after getting the book and vague letter was you called up

Ahem.... "were" you called up..... :p

dgagitw Dec 7th 2013 3:03 am

Originally Posted by danfolkestone (Post 11024924)
much longer if you get the dreaded Residency Questionnaire.:(

Does anyone have any theories as to what would trigger that? I've seen people with basically identical situations apply yet one got the RQ and one didn't.

Former Lancastrian Dec 7th 2013 3:20 am

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11025261)
Does anyone have any theories as to what would trigger that? I've seen people with basically identical situations apply yet one got the RQ and one didn't.

Periods of travel and numerous absences from Canada as opposed to the odd 4 week vacation once a year would be my guess.

magnumpi Dec 7th 2013 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11025233)
Ahem.... "were" you called up..... :p

No, a letter via snail mail

Confed:
July 1st 1867, the book says they met from 1864-1867 ?

dgagitw Dec 7th 2013 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11025277)
Periods of travel and numerous absences from Canada as opposed to the odd 4 week vacation once a year would be my guess.

That's what I would have though but both were similar in that respect: a pair of married Brits working for Canadian banks in Toronto travelling fairly often to the US for a week at a time but not for more than a total of around 6 weeks a year. They applied separately after 5 years of residence - one got the RQ, the other didn't. It looked pretty random to me, but I'm assuming there's multiple things being taken into consideration.

dgagitw Dec 7th 2013 4:38 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11025309)
No, a letter via snail mail

Confed:
July 1st 1867, the book says they met from 1864-1867 ?

That's the one. When I get around to this, I seriously hope the date type questions aren't going to be a choice of 4 adjacent years though, I'll be stuffed if they are.

JamesM Dec 8th 2013 11:53 am

What is in this Residency questionnaire and why would it slow the process so much?

__TJ__ Dec 8th 2013 12:56 pm

Am I reading this right? You wait three years to apply for citizenship then another three years to get it? That's crazy!

JamesM Dec 8th 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by __TJ__ (Post 11026766)
Am I reading this right? You wait three years to apply for citizenship then another three years to get it? That's crazy!

CIC is all about lengthy time lines.

They quote 25 months for citizenship. That is a cake walk compared to many people's PR processes.

Besides whose actually waiting???

dgagitw Dec 9th 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11026721)
What is in this Residency questionnaire and why would it slow the process so much?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...p_process.html

I'm not sure why it would take so long to process one though.

MarkG Dec 9th 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11028087)

I'd imagine it gets a low priority behind the rest of the queue who don't need special treatment.

JamesM Dec 9th 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11028087)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...p_process.html

Frightening article.

dgagitw Dec 9th 2013 11:26 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11028160)
Frightening article.

It's not such a big deal so long as you're planning on staying in Canada for the long term although I take the point about not being to vote. I can see why people with passports from places like Iran who have no intention of ever going back other than for a holiday would be much more animated about it though. I once went through US immigration with a British guy who had been born in Iran and moved to the UK when he was a baby. They took him aside and gave him the 3rd degree for 4 hours before letting him in just on the basis of his passport having Tehran as his place of birth. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like trying it with a full blown Iranian passport!

arctic_gardener Dec 15th 2013 12:45 am

Gotta love the irony of telling the inventors of the English language to learn English.

FlyingDutchman6666 Dec 17th 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by arctic_gardener (Post 11037629)
Gotta love the irony of telling the inventors of the English language to learn English.

Are you crediting today's Britons with inventing the English language? :lol:

dgagitw Dec 17th 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by arctic_gardener (Post 11037629)

I've met British citizens who didn't speak much in the way of English. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that Canada would ask for some sort of proof. It's not like you have to jump through a whole load of hoops after all, a copy of your A-level certificate(s) seems to be sufficient and, according to the nice lady from the CIC call centre I talked to, a degree certificate for any subject taught in English from a UK university is certainly adequate proof.

magnumpi Dec 17th 2013 10:38 am

Originally Posted by dgagitw (Post 11042050)
I've met British citizens who didn't speak much in the way of English. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that Canada would ask for some sort of proof. It's not like you have to jump through a whole load of hoops after all, a copy of your A-level certificate(s) seems to be sufficient and, according to the nice lady from the CIC call centre I talked to, a degree certificate for any subject taught in English from a UK university is certainly adequate proof.

My 1999 C.S.E. result sheet worked good for me, i had 2 English passes on them (English Lit and English)

Novocastrian Dec 17th 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11042317)
My 1999 C.S.E. result sheet worked good for me, i had 2 English passes on them (English Lit and English)

<ahem>

magnumpi Dec 17th 2013 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11042328)
<ahem>

LOL oops :D, i sorta screwed that up, 1979 i mean, wow feels odd just typing that number now...

bats Dec 17th 2013 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11042357)
LOL oops :D, i sorta screwed that up, 1979 i mean, wow feels odd just typing that number now...

"worked good"......

magnumpi Dec 20th 2013 1:15 pm

So went today Dec 20th, and sat the test, then after had a short interview and passport stamp checks and now all done bar the swearing.

The employees at Mississauga were very polite and very organised. I got the results of my test, a pass no errors, and the date and a form for the ceremony on Jan 2, 2014.

Novocastrian Dec 20th 2013 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11046822)
So went today Dec 20th, and sat the test, then after had a short interview and passport stamp checks and now all done bar the swearing.

The employees at Mississauga were very polite and very organised. I got the results of my test, a pass no errors, and the date and a form for the ceremony on Jan 2, 2014.

Welcome aboard. The greater good of Canada has been served.

Probably.

<congrats>

magnumpi Dec 20th 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11046882)
Welcome aboard. The greater good of Canada has been served.

Probably.

<congrats>

:) Thanks

JamesM Dec 22nd 2013 4:21 am

Now all you have to do is learn the "Star Spangled Banner"

Did you show them any of your videos?

magnumpi Dec 22nd 2013 7:32 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11048258)
Now all you have to do is learn the "Star Spangled Banner"

Did you show them any of your videos?

No I didn't, I did not want an unfair advantage.

JamesM Dec 22nd 2013 7:37 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11048454)
No I didn't, I did not want an unfair advantage.

That was your big shot at an ambassadorial role.

Oh well.

I'm yet to hear anything from them on my application. Sent it early November. I guess there is no confirmation letter?

Mikeypm Dec 22nd 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11048462)
That was your big shot at an ambassadorial role.

Oh well.

I'm yet to hear anything from them on my application. Sent it early November. I guess there is no confirmation letter?

Ambassador eh:)

just think of all those Ferro Roche receptions he will miss out on :(, oh seƱor ambassador you are really spoiling us with these Ferro Roche:rofl:

dgagitw Dec 22nd 2013 8:02 am

Congratulations! Interesting that you got the ceremony date straight after the test. From reading elsewhere it seems that some get sent a letter, some get phoned and some get it at the test. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

magnumpi Dec 22nd 2013 8:29 am

We have friends in BC and they did test ect last week and told 4-6 months. Mississauga office has the biggest oath room in Canada and is the busiest office. Maybe they just good at their job there.

bats Dec 22nd 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 11048512)
We have friends in BC and they did test ect last week and told 4-6 months. Mississauga office has the biggest oath room in Canada and is the busiest office. Maybe they just good at their job there.

A room for the biggest oath in all of Canada? A whole room? What's the word?