Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:25 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

Originally Posted by silver birch
One TV question I was thinking about the other day was what Canadians think about The Royle Family and The Kumars, both of which have been/are on BBC Canada.
I've never even heard of the Royle Family or The Kumars.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 1:52 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
You're missing little. This is TV for people with depression.

Rich.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You're missing little. This is TV for people with depression.

Rich.
So is "Naked in Blackpool"!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:51 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Your not the only one, Just had alook at the BBC 1 for the rest of the week.
what a load of junk
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think non-Brits take BBC Canada, do they? I only know of one and he's a real Anglophile.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:37 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't think non-Brits take BBC Canada, do they? I only know of one and he's a real Anglophile.
Do Canadians watch TV ?

I've been here 16 months, never had a speaky about TV once. Other topics seem more appealing. Weather, real estate, sports, seems more radar-friendly here.

Rich.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Do Canadians watch TV ?

I've been here 16 months, never had a speaky about TV once. Other topics seem more appealing. Weather, real estate, sports, seems more radar-friendly here.

Rich.
The two Canadians I know speak only about ice hockey and about the immigrants; they hate us because we smell strange and we take their jobs.
They'd have a hard time watching TV, apart from the Little Mosque on the Prarie, there are all those adverts advocating hiring immigrants. Both Little Mosque and the adverts depict white Canadians as idiots in plaid. I think that's fair but it's not something an idiot in plaid is going to want to watch.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:49 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
They hate us because we smell strange and we take their jobs..
And we're *often* more successful and happier than they are.

Must be something about the attitood of such folk. Bitter, resentful, small minded, bigoted, insular, 6-fingered.

Rich.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 3:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
That should be filed under the "If you can't say anything nice don't say it at all" heading. After all, what exactly is a Canadian? We're a nation made up mostly of immigrants, with the exception of the native indians. I sometimes wonder why some of the people on this bulletin board stay here when they evidently don't like much about the country. I haven't watched "Little Mosque" but must admit I found the ads for it quite amusing. As for BBC Canada, some shows are OK, but they must set a record for how many times they can repeat a programme in one week. And the commercials. That darned women who starts out "Why M&M's?" - I hit the mute button as soon as she comes on!
I'm using Canadian here to mean someone born in Canada to two parents born in Canada, someone with no hyphen. If you're one please explain something about Canadian TV adverts which baffles us imports; why does Bell use gay male beavers as a mascot? Do the local people identify with gay male beavers and, if so, why?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road

Good-old Channel 4 now streams live via the web to UK IP addresses.

If you have someone in the UK that has a server\computer that stays on all the time, ask them to install a dynamic dns host on it and a VPN connection to allow you to 'login' to their system and use their IP.

Then, you can watch Channel 4 in Canada from your computer\lounge media center.

Little-B.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by little-beauty
Then, you can watch Channel 4 in Canada from your computer\lounge media center.
Slick I'm sure and bound to impress 11 year old groms, but who in the hell would want to watch C4 UK ? Isn't there anything better to do

Rich.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Slick I'm sure and bound to impress 11 year old groms, but who in the hell would want to watch C4 UK ? Isn't there anything better to do

Rich.
I'd peek at it. It's winter here, everything's stopped until May.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Their current BB-dominated schedule isn't typical of their usual offering, which is pretty good imho.

Can't you just use a proxy though? I've done that for BBC stuff.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 4:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd peek at it. It's winter here, everything's stopped until May.
That habit of peeking at things could get you arrested.

Rich.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
I got a glimpse of the new C4 logos. Very clever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.