Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canadian TV crap? Yes/No

I am one sad "shallow/reality-tv" freeeek.....
# 1 has to be The Weather Network.....I could have that on all day, even as background noise
Wife Swap
Trading Spouses
Supernanny
Extreme Makeover (not the Home edition)
The Swan (when it used to be on....alas, no longer )
The Bachelor (or -ette)
American Idol (I do not DO Canadian Idol - it's crap)
And being the animal lover that I am, I love all the Animal Cops Houston, Detroit, San Fransisco. blah-de-blah

The commercials, however, drive me to "smashing the TV in" point
Old Jan 13th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Talking TLC Life Lessons

Most advertising on TV is just plain annoying, but sometimes it's good.

The best ads on TV are to promote TLC channel.

It's a series of ads to teach you a message, with a representative collectable figurine. My favourites are:

"Dating is awkward, but so is becoming the crazy cat lady".

"When buying a new home, save some money for drapes".

I notice this one is not featured on the website. It's a disturbing tale of a voyeuristic elderly couple enjoying the sexual antics of the new neighbours who haven't bought window coverings yet.

These ads began as a pastiche, but now I see you can actually buy the figurines.

Take a look at them on:

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/li...felessons.html
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:35 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by qwerty06
In other words: is the choice of programs shown in Canadian TV crap? (we are not talking about the quality of canadian made programmes here)

My vote: Yes
Why: too many adverts, very few films, dummies/mononeuron barbies (Cindy?) reporting the news on CTV, hour long features to discuss 30 second events on CBC, documentaries only on PBS if you are lucky or Discovery when they are not showing 'Monster Cars'... do not even get me started on Much Music, next time I am in Toronto I may enact that fantasy where I egg pellett the big window behind the presenters or show a big board along the lines 'PLAY SOME MUSIC FOR ONCE other than 50 Cent et. al.'.

Having said that, I am becoming a fan of the varied CBC radio, and Halifax has a good radio station variety. Also, I am reading a lot more books!

Luckily we got Torchwood (in a nice Cardiff accent) via recordable DVD at Christmas... for now I will live on Holmes on Homes and The Weather Network when I am not catching up on books or planning my garden.

Cheers
Given that Canadian TV has far too many commercials, I think TV is pretty good. In particular, HDTV content is far greater on Canadian TV than what is available in Europe which is just starting to get access to HDTV content - that's according to Pioneer.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In particular, HDTV content is far greater on Canadian TV than what is available in Europe which is just starting to get access to HDTV content - that's according to Pioneer.
I thought my Dad had upgraded to HDTV when I watched his set in Nov. He hadn't. I was just so used to my crappy Canadian picture. Perhaps that's why it's taken off here more than there?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:16 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I thought my Dad had upgraded to HDTV when I watched his set in Nov. He hadn't. I was just so used to my crappy Canadian picture. Perhaps that's why it's taken off here more than there?
I think you are making a good point regarding the relative rates of adoption of HDTV in NA vs. Europe.... our current SD (standard definition) sets have low resolution WRT what Europe has had for many years..... however, our newest HDTV sets (and others that I know about coming out this summer and in 2008) blow the SD European sets right out of the water.... NA is several years ahead of Europe WRT HDTV content.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 14th 2007 at 4:22 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:27 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwerty06
In other words: is the choice of programs shown in Canadian TV crap? (we are not talking about the quality of canadian made programmes here)

My vote: Yes
Why: too many adverts, very few films, dummies/mononeuron barbies (Cindy?) reporting the news on CTV, hour long features to discuss 30 second events on CBC, documentaries only on PBS if you are lucky or Discovery when they are not showing 'Monster Cars'... do not even get me started on Much Music, next time I am in Toronto I may enact that fantasy where I egg pellett the big window behind the presenters or show a big board along the lines 'PLAY SOME MUSIC FOR ONCE other than 50 Cent et. al.'.

Having said that, I am becoming a fan of the varied CBC radio, and Halifax has a good radio station variety. Also, I am reading a lot more books!

Luckily we got Torchwood (in a nice Cardiff accent) via recordable DVD at Christmas... for now I will live on Holmes on Homes and The Weather Network when I am not catching up on books or planning my garden.

Cheers

Crap compared to what? If it's to British TV, I would say about the same. I spend a fair bit of time in both countries. Much depends on which channels you watch. When in Canada, if you tend to watch the channels that run lots of British TV shows, or those continual home improvement shows, then you get the same adverts over and over again. But then, we are complaining about adverts, not the content of the show. Sometimes when I am back in the UK my mind boggles at what they consider humour these days, it's all lewd and crude. They get away with so much more than would be allowed in N. America. But then again, Jerry Springer has a big audience in the UK - no accounting for taste, LOL!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are making a good point regarding the relative rates of adoption of HDTV in NA vs. Europe.... our current SD (standard definition) sets have low resolution WRT what Europe has had for many years..... however, our newest HDTV sets (and others that I know about coming out this summer and in 2008) blow the SD European sets right out of the water.... NA is several years ahead of Europe WRT HDTV content.
The problem though is the lack of content and frequency of adverts. Corner Gas with the advert for high traction toilet rolls is still Corner Gas with high traction toilet rolls no matter how well defined it is.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
But then again, Jerry Springer has a big audience in the UK - no accounting for taste, LOL!
Jerry Springer has been replaced here by Dr. Phil. I'm not sure if you can get high definition Dr. Phil.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Crap compared to what? If it's to British TV, I would say about the same. I spend a fair bit of time in both countries. Much depends on which channels you watch. When in Canada, if you tend to watch the channels that run lots of British TV shows, or those continual home improvement shows, then you get the same adverts over and over again. But then, we are complaining about adverts, not the content of the show. Sometimes when I am back in the UK my mind boggles at what they consider humour these days, it's all lewd and crude. They get away with so much more than would be allowed in N. America. But then again, Jerry Springer has a big audience in the UK - no accounting for taste, LOL!
Maybe the programs in both countries are a reflection of the target audience which can be summarized as loving

1) Supericiality

2) Gossip

3) Trivia

Rather than complaining about TV maybe we should consider the target audience. After all it wouldn't be created and transmitted if there wasn't a receptive audience.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
After all it wouldn't be created and transmitted if there wasn't a receptive* audience.
* I think the word you're looking for is 'absorbent'. Receptive is too active a word for the mind-muddled goggled-eyed masses. These inert monoliths receive their regular advertising feed direct-to-brain quite contentedly and without little conscious involvement.

Rich.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:46 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dbd33
The problem though is the lack of content and frequency of adverts. Corner Gas with the advert for high traction toilet rolls is still Corner Gas with high traction toilet rolls no matter how well defined it is.
I agree the TV commercials in Canada and the US are too numerous and annoying.... but I disagree with you that there's a lack of content. For sports fans, HDTV is pretty much mandatory right now... then there's the movies, PBS, and lots of other content..... 2007 will be a breakthrough year for HDTV sets in NA.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

I agree the TV commercials in Canada and the US are too numerous and annoying.... but I disagree with you that there's a lack of content. For sports fans, HDTV is pretty much mandatory right now... then there's the movies, PBS, and lots of other content..... 2007 will be a breakthrough year for HDTV sets in NA.
Movies and old Britcoms we can get on video. I can't see that there's a case for more stations than we get with the rabbit ears as we've had umpteen stations for two years and haven't found anything much of interest. Still, I guess cricket would be improved by a better picture and I suppose that it could drive sales of the technology.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:22 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dbd33
Movies and old Britcoms we can get on video. I can't see that there's a case for more stations than we get with the rabbit ears as we've had umpteen stations for two years and haven't found anything much of interest. Still, I guess cricket would be improved by a better picture and I suppose that it could drive sales of the technology.
I take it that you do have a HDTV set, am I right? I have HDTV in my motor home, but not in my home here in Mexico as of yet..... I'll bring one down next fall.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

then there's the movies, PBS, and lots of other content.....
Can you name some good non-sports stuff to look out for? I'm clearly missing it all.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

I take it that you do have a HDTV set, am I right?
I don't suppose so. They're all five or more years old. One even has a built in video cassette player. Perhaps the plasma screen in the pub is in high definition, they show a lot of cricket and rugby so it might be worth it to them. That one seems to have quite a good picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.