Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:37 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Originally Posted by Oink
What gets me is that when they realize you're English they then proceed to bore the naff out of you with the fact that their granddad or uncle came from some bumshite place there years ago. Or the worst is when they've actually been to the UK themselves and then floodgates open when they recall some funny experience they had or how about some girl they shagged. You just want to scream at them to shut the naff up.
Prefer that than a slightly sneery, oh you're from England attitude...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Prefer that than a slightly sneery, oh you're from England attitude...
Really? I usually get it when I'm trying to have a quite pint and some bartender who worked in a pub in Marble Arch won't shut the naff up about how unfriendly the UK is and how he couldn't get ice hockey over there. Then they get the hump when you explain the people are only unfriendly to wanky bartenders.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:54 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Really? I usually get it when I'm trying to have a quite pint and some bartender who worked in a pub in Marble Arch won't shut the naff up about how unfriendly the UK is and how he couldn't get ice hockey over there. Then they get the hump when you explain the people are only unfriendly to wanky bartenders.
Yes I suppose you have a point. If they've been to the UK just show them your BE avatar, they should get the message.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Gazman
love the cartoons , I'll try to dig out an old movie I made in 2006,...it was called 'The Burslem Suspects' was a piss take of 'The Usual Suspect' of course but was filmed around Burslem. If I can find it I'll put it on youtube...

Really miss oatcakes and Wrights pies
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alex2201

Really miss oatcakes and Wrights pies
Oh I see you're in Moncton!..that's interesting, the Bay of Fundy has caught my attention and I was thinking of looking for long-haul trucking work based out of Saint John, Moncton or just over in NS.
Do you know of anyone who works for Sunbury Transport? , I think they've got a base at Saint John and one at Federiction too, I was going to send them my CV and ask if they have job vacancies...
...and how is Moncton?, is that causeway open or closed now?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I dont know anyone that works for them but Sunbury Transport is part of the Irving Group of companies. Owned by the 3rd richest family in Canada so they are not going anywhere soon!! As are Midland - but Midland pay better. They are based in Moncton but are also all over the Maritimes. Sunbury has their HQ in Fredericton but have depots in SJ and Moncton as well. It will depend on what you want to do work wise - I would say go where you can get a job that suits you and go from there.

Saint John is a nice small - medium city with most things that you would expect from somewhere this size. Much the same to be said for Moncton. Fredericton is about half the size but still has plenty to offer relative to its size due to Government and Uni. The Bay of Fundy is beautiful but susceptible to storms the year round due to winds and the tides.

No Idea what they are doing with the causeway - open I think!!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I dont know anyone that works for them but Sunbury Transport is part of the Irving Group of companies. Owned by the 3rd richest family in Canada so they are not going anywhere soon!! As are Midland - but Midland pay better. They are based in Moncton but are also all over the Maritimes. Sunbury has their HQ in Fredericton but have depots in SJ and Moncton as well. It will depend on what you want to do work wise - I would say go where you can get a job that suits you and go from there.

Saint John is a nice small - medium city with most things that you would expect from somewhere this size. Much the same to be said for Moncton. Fredericton is about half the size but still has plenty to offer relative to its size due to Government and Uni. The Bay of Fundy is beautiful but susceptible to storms the year round due to winds and the tides.

No Idea what they are doing with the causeway - open I think!!
Oh wow '3rd richest family in Canada' could you find out if they have a daughter I could marry? ...thanks for your advice, that's great ...I thought it was Saint John that had the Uni?, I'll do some more research......
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

the Canadians don't really have any decent patter...its all Ice Hockey lockout and how funny it is to call someone a fag

agreed on the point about how their "relatives" came from the UK....whenever people notice i'm Scottish, its like "Oh my family are from there" and when asked where the answer is always "The Highlands"

awesome
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:40 am
Banned

kokoko69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Our experience was that the vast, vast majority of people were friendly and welcoming. Especially the Canadian Canadians. Over time our friends are all first generation immigrants. I guess it is a kind of life experience that someone who has never emigrated/immigrated can understand.
nice
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:41 am
Banned

kokoko69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by biddyk8
I've found all the people we've met here in Edmonton and area to be very friendly, most of our friends are Canadian and 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants.

We're moving a small town in Saskatchewan soon and the few trips we've had there are great, very welcoming to us. But in Saskatoon we found them very insular and not very welcoming at all compared to our other experiences here.
nice!!!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

The word 'insular' has been seen a few times in this thread. I wonder whether it can constitute 'unfriendly-ness' or whether it's just a reflection on how people are instinctively a bit suspicious of those they don't know.
When I moved from Wales to Ireland over 10 years ago I found the natives particularly friendly (compared to the 'war-zone' I came from )... but in recent years I've realised that the Irish secretly hold a bit of animosity towards you once they learn that you don't happen to have the same blind devotion as they do to the pope!, It's almost as if you're an alien once they discover you're not catholic...could there be a similar explanation as to Canadians' thinking towards immigrants???
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
The word 'insular' has been seen a few times in this thread. I wonder whether it can constitute 'unfriendly-ness' or whether it's just a reflection on how people are instinctively a bit suspicious of those they don't know.
When I moved from Wales to Ireland over 10 years ago I found the natives particularly friendly (compared to the 'war-zone' I came from )... but in recent years I've realised that the Irish secretly hold a bit of animosity towards you once they learn that you don't happen to have the same blind devotion as they do to the pope!, It's almost as if you're an alien once they discover you're not catholic...could there be a similar explanation as to Canadians' thinking towards immigrants???
I don't think it's immigrants as in foreigners but just newcomers. ie new to that town or area. Also very family orientated so not much time for anyone else.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

I think you hit the nail on the head about people here being more family orientated.

When we socialize with our friends, 90% of the time it is with the kids. We go to someone's house for dinner or they come to us and bring the kids along. Someone has a New Year party, the teenagers are in the basement doing their thing. Summer barbecues with the neighbours - kids are all running around playing games. We rarely had a babysitter except for the parties at Christmas time and then it was usually one of the neighbours with kids the same age as ours.

Is it not like this in the UK?

Last edited by justkidding; Nov 29th 2012 at 1:13 am.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justkidding
I think you hit the nail on the head about people here being more family orientated.

When we socialize with our friends, 90% of the time it is with the kids. We go to someone's house for dinner or they come to us and bring the kids along. Someone has a New Year party, the teenagers are in the basement doing there thing. Summer barbecues with the neighbours - kids are all running around playing games. We rarely had a babysitter except for the parties at Christmas time and then it was usually one of the neighbours with kids the same age as ours.

Is it not like this in the UK?
mostly, but what I was thinking of was the family dinners. Every long weekend there seems to be a family gathering and food.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kokoko69
nice
Originally Posted by kokoko69
nice!!!
Welcome to the forum. It's nice. Until it's not.

Edit: Oh dear. Being bored, I looked at your other two posts. On the Australian forum.

They were, and I quote "nice!!" and "nice!!!".

**** off.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 29th 2012 at 1:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.