Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i find most Canadian women to be the equivalent of the school mum brigade in the UK..full of big faux smiles..and everything in the world is sooo awesum..they are just one dimensional, two faced and judgmental behind that shallow facade.
Sorry you have found that but it's not my experience. A couple of the ladies I have met have become really good friends of mine -one in particular I spend a lot of time with and she's nothing like you describe. There are some nice Canadians out there...
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
+1 on the first bit !
+2.

Nearly all my friends are not locals. Everyone is 'nice' in neighbourhood/kid's school but it's impossible to break in..not that I care...the non-locals are better anyway....

I am married to a local, and he is a classic example of why it's hard to break in here. He has his group of friends from his highschool/uni years and his family, there's not a lot of time for newbies.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

i find most Canadian women to be the equivalent of the school mum brigade in the UK..full of big faux smiles..and everything in the world is sooo awesum..they are just one dimensional, two faced and judgmental behind that shallow facade.
No word mincing here !
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, don't turn your back on them especially at work.

I have made some good friends here but they are not the average Canadian by any means.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Sorry you have found that but it's not my experience. A couple of the ladies I have met have become really good friends of mine -one in particular I spend a lot of time with and she's nothing like you describe. There are some nice Canadians out there...
She did say most.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 5:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree somewhat with the "faux" assessment. Canada has a reputation of being "nice" but it does seem to me to be a bit of a false veneer. To some extent I think it is because a lot of Canadians spend six months in their basements watching hockey so they lack social skills. They are very polite but that isn't being friendly.

This is brought home to me whenever I get on a plane or I meet a Canadian in the US. Get on a plane in the US, everyone yaps to each other, perhaps from nervousness but OMG they will not shut the hell up. Get on a plane in Canada and you could hear a pin drop. I've sat on flights where I've been in the aisle seat and the people next to me don't even say anything to me when they want to go to the toilet, they just point. You can always spot the Americans on a Canadian flight because they make all the noise.

Talk about the British being reserved, I think Canadians have a frozen upper lip.

I sometimes think it is my imagination but when I meet Canadians in the US they're much more standoff-ish than Americans are.

People from Newfoundland seem to be the friendliest imx.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What's funny is I was talking to my son's teacher who is a typical Canadian - very very friendly and I was trying to explain to her the culture shock that us Brits have coming over here.

She lived in England for two years and she said she felt like people thought she was too much and fake at times and she got her feelings hurt. That's what I was trying to explain to her... Her British neighbour only just admitted to her after knowing her for 3 years that when she met her she thought she was fake because she was so friendly... My son can be shy and the constant talking to him at 100 miles an hour leaves him reeling a bit sometimes... I got through to her eventually (I think).

It works both ways I guess... I have to say at times I was dumbstruck by the friendliness and thinking in the beginning "Are these people for real" - it takes some getting used to.

There are good eggs and bad eggs everywhere you go. I've been lucky to get in with a good bunch.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:27 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What's funny is I was talking to my son's teacher who is a typical Canadian - very very friendly and I was trying to explain to her the culture shock that us Brits have coming over here.
It works both ways I guess... I have to say at times I was dumbstruck by the friendliness and thinking in the beginning "Are these people for real" - it takes some getting used to.There are good eggs and bad eggs everywhere you go. I've been lucky to get in with a good bunch.
I think the problem is reading too much into the initial-friendliness (or fake chumminess as it's been called). The reality is that the over friendliness is a veneer, and Canadians don't take it that seriously. It's like if you go on holiday and meet fellow Brits, and make plans to get together when you're back in Blighty, but have zero intention to do so. It's just a social mechanism.

I don't think it's right to construe the friendliness as fake or to bemoan the locals as being superficial. And I don't think it's anything to do with good eggs or bad eggs ("genuin"e or not) it's just kind of conversational "tone" no more, no less.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
I think the problem is reading too much into the initial-friendliness (or fake chumminess as it's been called). The reality is that the over friendliness is a veneer, and Canadians don't take it that seriously. It's like if you go on holiday and meet fellow Brits, and make plans to get together when you're back in Blighty, but have zero intention to do so. It's just a social mechanism.

I don't think it's right to construe the friendliness as fake or to bemoan the locals as being superficial. And I don't think it's anything to do with good eggs or bad eggs ("genuin"e or not) it's just kind of conversational "tone" no more, no less.
Man that's a bit deep for me.... I take people as I find them - some I then become friendly with - some I don't. Simple.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 7:39 pm
me/moi

Man that's a bit deep for me.... I take people as I find them - some I then become friendly with - some I don't. Simple.
That's the joy of being a northerner, I guess. But when in Rome...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
That's the joy of being a northerner, I guess. But when in Rome...
I don't live in Rome. I live in Canada...
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe some people make the mistake of assuming that the level of friendliness indicates a desire to make friends. It doesn't. It is just that the default level of social interaction is set at friendlier level than in Europe.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think maybe some people make the mistake of assuming that the level of friendliness indicates a desire to make friends. It doesn't. It is just that the default level of social interaction is set at friendlier level than in Europe.
+1. I lived in California for 5 years before I moved (for the first time) to Canada.

I used to summarize my opinion of Californians to new Canadian friends as follows: "Five minutes after meeting someone there you're friends. Five years later nothing's changed".

The Canadians would nod and agree, but 5 years later nothing would change.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:12 pm
me/moi

That, is what I was trying to say!
Old Nov 24th 2012, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

You're quote "the default level of social interaction is set at friendlier level than in Europe" is a very interesting notion and I can see why you make that point, but suddenly aren't we're getting into analytics...rather than expressing gut instincts...???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.