Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all
Default Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Isn't it funny how you can move to a new part of the world and find the locals very friendly, only to discover after a few months or a year or two later that they are two-faced and not the people you thought they were.

And isn't it funny how you can meet people who irritate you initially, but after time you end up being sort of 'soul buddies'...

I'd love to know people's thoughts on Canada regarding this topic.

I read a recent post saying that the natives of NB were 'rednecks who are all called Dwayne'. I read another post that said the natives of Quebec are particularly hostile towards outsiders, this despite the fact that if you go back far enough they were outsiders themselves.
Another post I read said that the people of SK were the most friendly in Canada......

So I have two questions;

1:In which Canadian province did you settle and how welcoming or unwelcoming, were the locals to you as a newcomer...

2:If you changed your opinion after time then how much time passed before you formed that new opinion...and why has your opinion now changed ...
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's most friendly/unfriendly Province ??????

Our experience was that the vast, vast majority of people were friendly and welcoming. Especially the Canadian Canadians. Over time our friends are all first generation immigrants. I guess it is a kind of life experience that someone who has never emigrated/immigrated can understand.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 8:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazman
Isn't it funny how you can move to a new part of the world and find the locals very friendly, only to discover after a few months or a year or two later that they are two-faced and not the people you thought they were.

And isn't it funny how you can meet people who irritate you initially, but after time you end up being sort of 'soul buddies'...

I'd love to know people's thoughts on Canada regarding this topic.

I read a recent post saying that the natives of NB were 'rednecks who are all called Dwayne'. I read another post that said the natives of Quebec are particularly hostile towards outsiders, this despite the fact that if you go back far enough they were outsiders themselves.
Another post I read said that the people of SK were the most friendly in Canada......

So I have two questions;

1:In which Canadian province did you settle and how welcoming or unwelcoming, were the locals to you as a newcomer...

2:If you changed your opinion after time then how much time passed before you formed that new opinion...and why has your opinion now changed ...
Define welcoming and unwelcoming.

NB has always been friendly for me and I tend to associate ( pubs and beer at people's houses ) with cradles, both work colleagues and friends of work colleagues.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I find people here in NB a strange mix of friendly but insular at the same time. Its hard to put my finger on it but for example they will talk to you in the street/shop etc but invite them to do something and its excuse/no show. My Dutch and German friends also say this. There is definite tension between the English and French here so maybe as a 3rd party your off to a bad start???

Manitoba people - very friendly.

Quebecers - on the whole good bunch and most have a sense of humour - a smattering of bad French goes a long way as does distinguishing your self as British not English (this means Anglophone cradle to them).
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found any of them to be particularly friendly and I count my blessings for that everyday.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Unfriendly = Alberta - now f*** off and ask your questions elsewhere
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

biddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud ofbiddyk8 has much to be proud of

I've found all the people we've met here in Edmonton and area to be very friendly, most of our friends are Canadian and 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants.

We're moving a small town in Saskatchewan soon and the few trips we've had there are great, very welcoming to us. But in Saskatoon we found them very insular and not very welcoming at all compared to our other experiences here.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I find that there is a general atmosphere of friendliness, but it's mostly superficial. All fur coat and no knickers.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:04 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
....in NB.....There is definite tension between the English and French
I always get the impression that's just a few loud activists on both sides. It's always the same names to the letters in the paper about it.

Mind you, there are only about 12 surnames in NB anyway.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Alberta and I have found almost everyone to be very welcoming.

I met one Canadian who was lovely at school and she introduced me to an absolutely lovely bunch of women. Every single one of them has made me feel very welcome and they have opened up their circle of friendship to me.

Sometimes I think people are too friendly here and it comes across as a bit fake when you first get here but I think that's just the Canadian way.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I haven't found any of them to be particularly friendly and I count my blessings for that everyday.
+1 on the first bit !
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alex2201
...There is definite tension between the English and French here...
Ah nobody gets on with the French anyway do they???...I had a French lad work for me back in '99 when I was taking a mobile exhibition around France and Spain. I passed wind one day and he looked at me as if I'd just shot his mother!!!...His reaction was so funny I couldn't help doing it for the rest of the tour whenever he standing next to me............I'm sorry Julio, please forgive me...
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I find that there is a general atmosphere of friendliness, but it's mostly superficial. All fur coat and no knickers.
+1 After 45 years I'd say I'd formed 2 or 3 long term close friendships with Canadians, most were really just acquaintances.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:08 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I settled in BC and have found the locals to be very friendly and welcoming. However, my part time job with the local Police means that I deal with 10% of the population who commit 90% of the crime. My rose tinted specs are now off, Canadians can be just as obnoxious as us Brits.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I am in Alberta and I have found almost everyone to be very welcoming.

I met one Canadian who was lovely at school and she introduced me to an absolutely lovely bunch of women. Every single one of them has made me feel very welcome and they have opened up their circle of friendship to me.

Sometimes I think people are too friendly here and it comes across as a bit fake when you first get here but I think that's just the Canadian way.
i find most Canadian women to be the equivalent of the school mum brigade in the UK..full of big faux smiles..and everything in the world is sooo awesum..they are just one dimensional, two faced and judgmental behind that shallow facade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.