Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:36 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
http://www.eia.gov.bc.ca/mhr/ia.htm

Not much different in BC ($235 / $375)

Perhaps people that think this is OK won't mind living in rat and cockroach infested slums of the kind on the DTES as that's all $375 will get you.
No that ain't much. Is that for one person though.
So what do you get in UK?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
No that ain't much. Is that for one person though.
So what do you get in UK?
The lowest level of benefit is income support which is £67 per week (that's about $460pcm). This excludes housing benefit as I don't know how that's calculated - I suspect it's quite a bit more than $375pcm though.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

The lowest level of benefit is income support which is £67 per week (that's about $460pcm). This excludes housing benefit as I don't know how that's calculated - I suspect it's quite a bit more than $375pcm though.
Housing Benefit depends on your Borough Council so can vary from place to place.

When I was out of work on the back end of 2008/Early 09 I received 480 pounds per month in housing benefit plus around 42 pounds per week in job seekers. This was not enough to cover my rent but did soften the blow of not working by 600 plus pounds per month.

In Canada they gave me $1200 per month employment insurance- although I think I paid a large chunk of this back in the last tax year.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
In Canada they gave me $1200 per month employment insurance- although I think I paid a large chunk of this back in the last tax year.
EI is a short term benefit, not comparable to welfare.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Well just indulge me. Let's say there is a couple, no kids, with no mortgage and has to rent an aprtment.

How much is the benefits payment per moth here, and how much in London England.
What are the monthly living expenses for each. Rent, water rates, electric, gas,. Food would be I guess what was left over after paying the bills. And most important, what do you get for your money. What sort of area would you have to live in.
Just saying UK is better tells me nothing.
If you got £425 pound in London, you wouldn't even be able to rent a flat because even in east london, flats are £890-1,000+ a month. Not only that, but you'd have to pay for your travelcards which are about £150 a month, and all your other bills...water, energy, tv license, car, parking, mot, phone...the list continues.

Also I should mention, the government is changing/has changed benefits and basically they have come out and said that if you get offered ANY job and refuse, they can/will cut off your benefits. So if you get offered a job at Tesco, and decide it's not for you, they can and will cut your benefits off.

You will NEVER get a council flat here. Those days are over. There are over 30,000 people on the waiting list. The problem is that those people in their teens 20 years ago who moved out and got council flats were never responsible for telling the government when/if they found better paying work, so all that time, they would have been making decent money, and only paying subsidised housing, at let's say £300 a month. So why the hell would they move out? They wouldn't and haven't, hence the shortage.
The government on top of that gave those people the opportunity to buy out their council flats for a ridiculously cheap price which some did, and now they live in a new home, and rent out (illegally i may add) their council flats for 1,200 a month.

All the while, there are people who are homeless, who have nowhere to sleep, and are having to make do rough sleeping because there are no council flats.

The government have actually started making videos that get shown in places like Poland warning them that the government is not going to be looking after them ect. Trying to get people to STOP coming here. This country is full, and cannot handle any more people.

I think the difference between Canada's welfare system and Britains is that in Canada, they harrass you to work, and they don't pay you enough to sit at home and never have, where as 10 years ago in britain, it actually paid to sit at home because the benefits were about the same as making minimum wage so you'd be able to live off of it. I can tell you, those days are over.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:57 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
I think the difference between Canada's welfare system and Britains is that in Canada, they harrass you to work, and they don't pay you enough to sit at home and never have, where as 10 years ago in britain, it actually paid to sit at home because the benefits were about the same as making minimum wage so you'd be able to live off of it. I can tell you, those days are over.
Sure, there can be debate about whether handing over money to people that don't/can't work is right or not, what level is appropriate, and which country has the right balance.

However if you are actually in the situation where you cannot work for an extended period of time - there is no debate. You are better off in the UK.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Also I should mention, the government is changing/has changed benefits and basically they have come out and said that if you get offered ANY job and refuse, they can/will cut off your benefits. So if you get offered a job at Tesco, and decide it's not for you, they can and will cut your benefits off.
So they should.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Sure, there can be debate about whether handing over money to people that don't/can't work is right or not, what level is appropriate, and which country has the right balance.

However if you are actually in the situation where you cannot work for an extended period of time - there is no debate. You are better off in the UK.
um, not true. I have been out of work for nearly 2 years actually (although I was offered a job most recently which I did turn down because I am moving back to Canada and cannot commit to work) and I have college education and had good working experiences prior to my unemployment. I am not eligible for any benefits whatsoever. Most people who come from abroad are not eligible unless they are citizens and even then, the amount they will NOW give you, is not worth it.

I'd rather work for minimum wage and live in a city like hamilton any day, then have to claim benefits and live in some rural town on a nasty housing estate where there is **** all to do. You won't be able to afford london that's for certain.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jericho
So they should.
indeed. I will/am not contesting that at all.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You will NEVER get a council flat here. Those days are over. There are over 30,000 people on the waiting list. The problem is that those people in their teens 20 years ago who moved out and got council flats were never responsible for telling the government when/if they found better paying work, so all that time, they would have been making decent money, and only paying subsidised housing, at let's say £300 a month. So why the hell would they move out? They wouldn't and haven't, hence the shortage.
The government on top of that gave those people the opportunity to buy out their council flats for a ridiculously cheap price which some did, and now they live in a new home, and rent out (illegally i may add) their council flats for 1,200 a month.
I assume you know that approximately the same happens in Toronto. I have a colleague who came as a refugee and so was eligible for Metro Housing. She's been making better than fifty bucks an hour for ten years while subletting her subsidized apartment. Another colleague has been the States for a decade all the while subletting his place. I'd honestly be surprised if half the occupants of the Monoxide Towers had their names in the rent book. I'd guess this is the same everywhere there's government housing at a price lower than the privately rented accomodation.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:36 pm

um, not true. I have been out of work for nearly 2 years actually (although I was offered a job most recently which I did turn down because I am moving back to Canada and cannot commit to work) and I have college education and had good working experiences prior to my unemployment. I am not eligible for any benefits whatsoever. Most people who come from abroad are not eligible unless they are citizens and even then, the amount they will NOW give you, is not worth it.

I'd rather work for minimum wage and live in a city like hamilton any day, then have to claim benefits and live in some rural town on a nasty housing estate where there is **** all to do. You won't be able to afford london that's for certain.
I'll state it explicitly for you:-

"A british citizen in the UK on benefits is a LOT better off than a canadian citizen in Canada on welfare."

Do you accept this or not?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 4th 2012 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:07 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

I'll state it explicitly for you:-

"A british citizen in the UK on benefits is a LOT better off than a canadian citizen in Canada on welfare."

Do you accept this or not?
I'd say finacially - yes.
Better off in living conditions - no

I don't know if the benefits law has changed in the last couple of years. But I know for a fact that if, as a British citizen you return to UK after being away for a period of time (not sure how long) you are inelligible for any benefits of any kind for 6 months. But if you are a Somali / Russian / Chinese etc. refugee you get the full whack immediately
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:45 pm

I'd say finacially - yes.
Better off in living conditions - no
That makes no sense. Wealth is directly correlated to "living conditions."
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

HEY did anyone listen to that awesome CBC show or not?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But I know for a fact that if, as a British citizen you return to UK after being away for a period of time (not sure how long) you are inelligible for any benefits of any kind for 6 months. But if you are a Somali / Russian / Chinese etc. refugee you get the full whack immediately
Can you provide a link for this info pls? I know that people returning to the UK are eligible for some benefits (such as child benefit) immediately, but I thought that you could apply for other benefits as soon as you are 'habitually resident' in the UK - and never knew this had a 6 month time limit?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.