Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:15 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can you provide a link for this info pls? I know that people returning to the UK are eligible for some benefits (such as child benefit) immediately, but I thought that you could apply for other benefits as soon as you are 'habitually resident' in the UK - and never knew this had a 6 month time limit?

Thanks.
That's right it's the Habitual Resident test. It was definitely in place in 2009.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'll state it explicitly for you:-

"A british citizen in the UK on benefits is a LOT better off than a canadian citizen in Canada on welfare."

Do you accept this or not?
No I don't Accept it at all. Sorry. I just watched a documentary today even called "when I get older" running on bbc. Look into that and then tell me how great it will be.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
That's right it's the Habitual Resident test. It was definitely in place in 2009.
But where does it say you can't qualify for 6 months? My understanding is that you can qualify straight away, as long as you can prove you've moved back permanently?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

I don't know if the benefits law has changed in the last couple of years. But I know for a fact that if, as a British citizen you return to UK after being away for a period of time (not sure how long) you are inelligible for any benefits of any kind for 6 months. But if you are a Somali / Russian / Chinese etc. refugee you get the full whack immediately
Rubbish, you got this from some of the misquoted statements about NHS that state you must have been resident in the UK for 6 months before receiving treatment. BUT for returning residents of under 5 years there is no such obligation. There are no time limits on education (for children), Job seekers allowance or whatever the vogue term is for it, housing benefit or child benefit. If you are a resident you are eligible.

On the immigration side it is stupid generalisations like this that actually hurt the argument for cuts in immigration as it can so easily disproved.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can you provide a link for this info pls? I know that people returning to the UK are eligible for some benefits (such as child benefit) immediately, but I thought that you could apply for other benefits as soon as you are 'habitually resident' in the UK - and never knew this had a 6 month time limit?

Thanks.
Absolutely correct.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
No I don't Accept it at all. Sorry. I just watched a documentary today even called "when I get older" running on bbc. Look into that and then tell me how great it will be.
Fair enough. I hope you aren't too shocked when you get your reality check.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
HEY did anyone listen to that awesome CBC show or not?
Nope
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sure, there can be debate about whether handing over money to people that don't/can't work is right or not, what level is appropriate, and which country has the right balance.

However if you are actually in the situation where you cannot work for an extended period of time - there is no debate. You are better off in the UK.
Just add a bit more the tax money you pay in helps you and your family not some one who does not want to work, yes I know there is a job shortage and people can not find work as well . There are lots of jobs in Canada but you have to travel. A friend of mine in UK his wife is disabled they pay him care giver her for disabled money for the kids housing benefit also get a new car every 3 years not saying its right or wrong but both do side cash jobs as well
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:47 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rick b
Rubbish, you got this from some of the misquoted statements about NHS that state you must have been resident in the UK for 6 months before receiving treatment. BUT for returning residents of under 5 years there is no such obligation. There are no time limits on education (for children), Job seekers allowance or whatever the vogue term is for it, housing benefit or child benefit. If you are a resident you are eligible.

On the immigration side it is stupid generalisations like this that actually hurt the argument for cuts in immigration as it can so easily disproved.
<snip>
I know all about this as I went broke, and went back to England and was refused any benefits for 6 months. I had a social worker who was fighting for me and they would not make any exceptions.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 5th 2012 at 8:17 am. Reason: Rule 1. Name calling will NOT be tolerated.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

I know all about this as I went broke, and went back to England and was refused any benefits for 6 months. I had a social worker who was fighting for me and they would not make any acceptions.
Well good for the social worker as thats what should happen in my opinion - but the facts are you would have been applicable for housing benefit, JSA and child benefit (if you had kids). If you had been away for less than 5 years also NHS. Maybe you're the "prat" (ooh what a horrid word, I'm shaking) for not checking it out properly.
My scathing comments towards your post by the way (as you've obviously not got it) were directed at your "all immigrants get all the benefits blah blah" line. Which is just simply not correct. Go back to your bubble.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 5th 2012 at 8:18 am. Reason: Removing insult in quote
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say finacially - yes.
Better off in living conditions - no
Have you found the fabled means to eat scenery? If not then this can't be true, it's never better to be in abject poverty if the other choice allows eating every day.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rick b
Well good for the social worker as thats what should happen in my opinion - but the facts are you would have been applicable for housing benefit, JSA and child benefit (if you had kids). If you had been away for less than 5 years also NHS. Maybe you're the "prat" (ooh what a horrid word, I'm shaking) for not checking it out properly.
My scathing comments towards your post by the way (as you've obviously not got it) were directed at your "all immigrants get all the benefits blah blah" line. Which is just simply not correct. Go back to your bubble.
No I wasn't eligible for housing benefit. I had two kids of school age. Got F/A for them. Sorry if you don't like the truth pal. Yes immigrants get it the day they arrive. Sorta pissed me off back then when I'd paid in for years and couldn't get a sausage. Give us the source of all your worldly wisdom. Link would be nice. Can't? Then don't get into a discussion you know F/A about.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to husband finding a teaching job in Canada. There is a surplus of teachers here. He will have a very difficult time finding a teaching job. By the way Canada's social safety net is crap compared to the UK's.

Originally Posted by teacher1000
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you found the fabled means to eat scenery? If not then this can't be true, it's never better to be in abject poverty if the other choice allows eating every day.
Well I'm on ODSP disability.
I rent an apartment in a quiet area two blocks from the lake.
I can walk down to the lake at 11 p.m. at night if I so wish without fear of getting robbed.
My rent is all inclusive, with heat, hot water and hydro. So the only bill I get at the end of the month is my cable / internet.
Adult building. No shit music coming from anywhere. Nice helpful manager.

I was born and grew up in Tottenham London. (If you Google shithole it brings up a picture of Tottenham.)
But if you told me I HAD to move back to Tottenham and see the rest of my days out there, BUT I would get three times the benefits there as I do in Canada, I would put my shotgun in my mouth and say goodnight.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm on ODSP disability.
I rent an apartment in a quiet area two blocks from the lake.
I can walk down to the lake at 11 p.m. at night if I so wish without fear of getting robbed.
My rent is all inclusive, with heat, hot water and hydro. So the only bill I get at the end of the month is my cable / internet.
Adult building. No shit music coming from anywhere. Nice helpful manager.

I was born and grew up in Tottenham London. (If you Google shithole it brings up a picture of Tottenham.)
But if you told me I HAD to move back to Tottenham and see the rest of my days out there, BUT I would get three times the benefits there as I do in Canada, I would put my shotgun in my mouth and say goodnight.
I'm not familiar with ODSP disability, presumably it pays a great deal more than welfare or you have another source of income, as it's unlikely that you can rent such a place for $350.

As it goes, I know something of Tottenham, as a kid I went to White Hart Lane most Saturdays. I can see that you might not choose to live there but the fair comparison is not between Tottenham and the bucolic paradise in which you now live but between places where people on welfare might live. Broadwater Farm don't look so terrible compared with Rexdale or the Malvern area of Scarborough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.