Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada recession looming?

Canada recession looming?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada recession looming?

Friend of mine got fined for not having a TV licence when he was in uni. They don't use detector vans, they don't need to, they just assume everyone has a TV until proven otherwise.

I remember once I bought a TV for use at the office, it was only being used for video playback of H&S videos as I recall. Anyway, no licence required but they did send many letters - when you buy a TV they report the address of the purchaser to TV licensing. What happened later on was that the law was changed so you have to have a TV licence to operate a TV, not actually receive signals, so then a licence had to be acquired.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That is inaccurate. The UK is one of the worlds top manufacturers.
Did I say it wasn't? What I said was that the financial industry and oil and gas keeps them going, or at least past tense it did. The UK is overwhelmingly a service economy and financial services are a sizable chunk of that.

Financial services alone employ over a million people, or they did at least, not sure about now.

Oil and gas has been declining for awhile.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Oink
Plus, the UK is by far the biggest single foreign country with direct investment in the US.
On a per capita basis Canada is higher, iirc.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Very true but what have England got to show for all that oil money over all those years? Re invested no, it's helped to pay for all the dole wallets and oxygen. Thieves that's why I left and the high crime because of it
It was more about not being dependent on foreign energy, like the Japanese are.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
This is about the recession, and the short and longterm affects on Canada, not the private/public sector arguements. If you believe one is better/harder working/etc than you've fallen into the trap the government has worked very hard at setting out. It's called divide and conquer. If they make you think one works harder/longer than the other, one gets a better pension etc, then you'll be against those people, and favor the governments cut backs, pension abolition plans etc. In the end, each government in power takes their turn cutting more and more until we all end up doing slave labour.
Does this rhetorical sleight of hand mean you accept that Canada is great for protected teachers who are in the system, but shit for those on welfare or min wage? (which was the only reason I mentioned it in the first place)

And, no government has ever cut spending. It's a simple truth that the state will always gets bigger every year - doesn't matter who's in power.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
Friend of mine got fined for not having a TV licence when he was in uni. They don't use detector vans, they don't need to, they just presume everyone has a TV Licence until proven otherwise.
Just to clarify - what I meant was i) active BBC Agent 'visit' ii) active prosecution iii) active Enforcement of said prosecution.

I am guessing that your friend at some point held his hand up to his deviancy and accepted to pay a fine offered (by post one would think).

Re "assumptions" - presumptions cut both ways, do they not

Edit: Fixed that for you.

FROTSUK

Last edited by FirstRatofftheShipUK; Jul 3rd 2012 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... Financial services alone employ over a million people...
Two less as of today.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say it wasn't? What I said was that the financial industry and oil and gas keeps them going, or at least past tense it did. The UK is overwhelmingly a service economy and financial services are a sizable chunk of that.

Financial services alone employ over a million people, or they did at least, not sure about now.

Oil and gas has been declining for awhile.
I don't think oil has been that significant for a while. Yes, financials are a big deal - and they will continue to be so given London's international standing.

There is no doubt that the UK is in for some tough times for a few more years while it's reliance on a financials adjusts; however the UK will be better for it and there is scope for growth in the other things that the UK excels at. That's what supposed to happen in a recessions.

Of course, the main problem with all this is that eventually a eurozone country is going to default - and that will affect all countries negatively; even resource rich countries like Canada where people think they are insulated from all that. The sooner this happens the better really - deferred pain is almost always worse than pain now.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this rhetorical sleight of hand mean you accept that Canada is great for protected teachers who are in the system, but shit for those on welfare or min wage? (which was the only reason I mentioned it in the first place)
Well, actually yes. Because a few people lied.
- the gov. brain washed high school kids 10 years ago that there will be a huge demand for teachers because lots of new neighbourhoods and schools will be built and lots of teachers will retire
- well, not as many schools as they though got built. so now, depending where you live, some classrooms resemble university lecture halls in sheer number of kids packed into them.
- then, every single higher ed. institution jumped onto the same "lets make lots of teachers for the government" bandwagon so they could get more funding -- without much regard for filtering..
- and then, the amount of teachers anticipated to retire was nowhere near what they predicted, because teachers aren't stupid. if you are a teacher at the top of the salary grid and at the top of a seniority list in a unionized environment, why the hell would you retire at 55 when you can keep showing up to work and collecting the top of the salary grade?

So what you have now is a lot of unemployed teachers trying t figure out how to get a job as a teacher.

(I am sorry to be such a party pooper. I am not normally like this.)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Two less as of today.
Why is that CEO's just get sacked for fraud when you or I would go to prison?

And that story is going to get bigger - there's no way that it was just barclays up to that sort of shenanigans.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by douglasgrant
Well, actually yes. Because a few people lied.
- the gov. brain washed high school kids 10 years ago that there will be a huge demand for teachers because lots of new neighbourhoods and schools will be built and lots of teachers will retire
- well, not as many schools as they though got built. so now, depending where you live, some classrooms resemble university lecture halls in sheer number of kids packed into them.
- then, every single higher ed. institution jumped onto the same "lets make lots of teachers for the government" bandwagon so they could get more funding -- without much regard for filtering..
- and then, the amount of teachers anticipated to retire was nowhere near what they predicted, because teachers aren't stupid. if you are a teacher at the top of the salary grid and at the top of a seniority list in a unionized environment, why the hell would you retire at 55 when you can keep showing up to work and collecting the top of the salary grade?

So what you have now is a lot of unemployed teachers trying t figure out how to get a job as a teacher.

(I am sorry to be such a party pooper. I am not normally like this.)
Yes, there's an over supply of teachers. The solution is simple - pay them less until such time as the demand for teaching jobs matches the supply of teachers willing to do it. No teacher is going to accept that though.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
I do love this post, really I do.

In fact that in red is not true, it is just another example of one of The UK's self perpetuating Urban legend doing the rounds that serves to keep the Great Unwashed in check.

Just like the listening-devices-in-vans cruising around on the country's Council Estates with 'signal finding' technology...good grief.

Anyone able to provide even an anecdotal account of anyone, anywhere in The UK, that has been 'legally' i) visited by a BBC agent ii) prosecuted by the BBC and iii) enforced upon my Mummy B?

Did not think so.

Just cannot stop laughing over this post - thank you

FROTSUK
Yawn.....
Do you know what is happening in the real world?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Why is that CEO's just get sacked for fraud when you or I would go to prison?And that story is going to get bigger - there's no way that it was just barclays up to that sort of shenanigans.
+1
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

the whole teacher issue does my head in. grah.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
I do love this post, really I do.

In fact that in red is not true, it is just another example of one of The UK's self perpetuating Urban legend doing the rounds that serves to keep the Great Unwashed in check.

Just like the listening-devices-in-vans cruising around on the country's Council Estates with 'signal finding' technology...good grief.

Anyone able to provide even an anecdotal account of anyone, anywhere in The UK, that has been 'legally' i) visited by a BBC agent ii) prosecuted by the BBC and iii) enforced upon my Mummy B?

Did not think so.

Just cannot stop laughing over this post - thank you

FROTSUK
When I was living with my now wife, she didn't have a licence and the van detector man turned up at our door. He told her what she had just been watching and told her to get a licence pronto. Maybe he was just guessing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.