Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best steak in Toronto

Best steak in Toronto

Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best steak in Toronto

and I thought my thread was useless
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

It was, believe me...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Thanks for reading it - have you thought about moving to Nova Scotia then -- you know, all us Scots together
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

......chomping on Aberdeen Angus to keep it on thread
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Beer Bistro at King & Yonge sells a ridiculous range of beers. Very easy to spend a night in there and the next month's mortgage payment. Glasses to go with the beer as well for most of the European stuff.

Don't know about their steak though, sorry. (Although the mussels were nice).

Are you quite mad? There's a broad selection of beers but they're sold in miniscule quantities by the most self regarding staff available from a population renowned for thinking highly of itself. You mention mussels in the plural so I suppose you had multiple food orders, an order is just a sliver from a single slimy thing. By comparison the Beirmarkt is proletarian and economical.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Toronto doesn't have any good restaurants. You will have to visit Montreal for that.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you quite mad? There's a broad selection of beers but they're sold in miniscule quantities by the most self regarding staff available from a population renowned for thinking highly of itself. You mention mussels in the plural so I suppose you had multiple food orders, an order is just a sliver from a single slimy thing. By comparison the Beirmarkt is proletarian and economical.

DBD...I may be in agreement with you on this one...I haven't been to the Beer Bistro but just took a look at their online menu...no prices listed for the beers...that worries me.....too many foreign draft beers that have been shipped for weeks and therefore are not the same taste as in their country of origin. As well, the categories that they put the beer in are very pretentious and are catering for a dumbed down clientele.

I remember going to the Rotterdam late 80's and being astounded by the list of beers etc but generally sticking to the beers produced on site.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
DBD...I may be in agreement with you on this one...
<falls off stool>

When the OH was here as a tourist and wanted to legitimize herself she became a student by taking the chef training course at George Brown. That obliged her, and so me, to try a range of places we wouldn't otherwise have visited; the Beer Bistro was far and away the most disappointing. On top of the laughably AbFab menu and ludicrous prices the service is glacially slow. Nul points.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:36 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

<falls off stool>

When the OH was here as a tourist and wanted to legitimize herself she became a student by taking the chef training course at George Brown. That obliged her, and so me, to try a range of places we wouldn't otherwise have visited; the Beer Bistro was far and away the most disappointing. On top of the laughably AbFab menu and ludicrous prices the service is glacially slow. Nul points.
LMAO @ Ab Fab menu- very true. We actually had by far the worst meal I've ever had in the city here when a bunch of us took a pal out for his birthday. The food was absolutely dreadful and the service even worse.

Even the Canadians in the party were in agreement not to tip- which as you know is about the rudest thing you could do to someone here.

Also a faint smell of vomit. No thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

<falls off stool>

the Beer Bistro was far and away the most disappointing. On top of the laughably AbFab menu and ludicrous prices the service is glacially slow. Nul points.

Based on its location, I imagine it attracts the post work Bay Street crowd...generally on expense accounts and little to no knowledge of what good beer is all about....
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:39 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually just across the street from where I work. You can never get a table and the food choice is very limited. I've been there once, and I was bored.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:16 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I've been there once, and I was bored.
Try getting some interesting friends.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:02 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. Why hadn't I though of that :curse:
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:04 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Good idea. Why hadn't I though of that :curse:
S'why I'm paid the big bucks.

Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Quite mad - possibly; and I agree on the staff to some extent, but it's the broadest range of beers I've come across in TO so far. If you know of somewhere else, I'm very happy to be enlightened...this Biermarkt for example? Where is it?
The miniscule quantities of beer are probably related to the small bottles that some Dutch and Belgian brewers use - generally 275ml, I'm sure.

And yes - the prices are quite high, but I'd have thought that was the price to pay living in a country that has the third (?) highest alcohol duty in the world. Again - I'm very happy to hear suggestions of other places that have as good or larger range of beers at lower cost than the Beer Bistro.

The time I ate there, they got my order wrong - I got the top of the range mussels dish as opposed to the fairly mediocre one I'd ordered. There was a generous sized portion and it was pretty good. Whether that was because they expected that I was paying over the odds (I didn't - they knocked the extra off the menu) or not, I don't know. Never really had any problems with the service either - apart from them getting my food order wrong.

And you know I'm one to moan should things not go my way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.