British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Best steak in Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/best-steak-toronto-526838/)

geo4 Apr 4th 2008 3:52 pm

Best steak in Toronto

Has anyone been to either Carmen's or Barbarians?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Ben W Bell Apr 4th 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Best steak in Toronto

The Keg on York Street does a pretty good steak. As does Baton Rouge actually. The steak house that was formerly Le Biftheque was actually pretty poor I thought. Hy's I really liked, simple steak but very well done with good cocktails as well.

As for the recommended that I haven't been to. Been meaning to go to Canyon Creek, they're a chop house and steakhouse. Apparently very good.

Harbour 60 supposedly very good.

babsi Apr 4th 2008 4:42 pm

A big surprise but I would say Red Lobster - as part of the steak and shrimp combo.

Rainforest Cafe comes second.

dbd33 Apr 4th 2008 4:45 pm

I've been to Barbarians many times. It's pretty good. I thought Le Bifteck terrible, if I want everything done to death I'll eat in England. I've heard good things about Harbour 60 but haven't been. Ruth's Chris is also pretty good, especially for a chain. I'd put the Tulip ahead of the Keg.

babsi Apr 4th 2008 4:52 pm

What is the steakhouse near the Sheraton Centre? We went there over 5 years ago and wasn't impressed, never been back.

Ben W Bell Apr 4th 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6159425)
What is the steakhouse near the Sheraton Centre? We went there over 5 years ago and wasn't impressed, never been back.

Le Biftheque. Seems no one here rated that. Operating under a different name now.

clynnog Apr 4th 2008 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell (Post 6159443)
Le Biftheque. Seems no one here rated that. Operating under a different name now.

According to the Biftheque website they only have 1 location left in Ontario...in downtown Toronto.

The Ottawa location closed a few years ago...I never went and never heard good things about it..steak houses don't really capture my interest....

babsi Apr 4th 2008 5:16 pm

The other thing I would try is looking for Argentinian restaurants, we have never got round to going to one but I am near enough sure the quality will be very good if the meat is imported from Argentina. But most of the restaurants are very far out from the centre.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 4th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6159490)
The other thing I would try is looking for Argentinian restaurants, we have never got round to going to one but I am near enough sure the quality will be very good if the meat is imported from Argentina. But most of the restaurants are very far out from the centre.

Best steak I've ever had, anywhere was in Buenos Aires. It was also the biggest! I find it odd that in the whole of TO, folk are recommending 'The Keg'. I've never had a good steak in a Keg. Which is problematic considering thats what they do.

The Bifsteck in Montreal near/on the Cote de Liesse was pretty good last time I was there.

babsi Apr 4th 2008 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 6159679)
Best steak I've ever had, anywhere was in Buenos Aires. It was also the biggest! I find it odd that in the whole of TO, folk are recommending 'The Keg'. I've never had a good steak in a Keg. Which is problematic considering thats what they do.

The Bifsteck in Montreal near/on the Cote de Liesse was pretty good last time I was there.

It is tied for the 2 best steaks I have ever had:
1. In a 'posh' restaurant in Mendoza, Argentina (it was posh but steak, wine, dessert for 3 was only $25)
2. A restuarant near the Eiffel Tower in Paris, it's annoying as I can't remember the name.

Both times we were on holiday and we went back towards the end for a 2nd meal.

And in 3 weeks we are going to Argentina for the good steak!

R I C H Apr 4th 2008 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 6159679)
I find it odd that in the whole of TO, folk are recommending 'The Keg'. I've never had a good steak in a Keg. Which is problematic considering thats what they do.

The Keg's always disappointed me too.

Novocastrian Apr 4th 2008 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6160150)
The Keg's always disappointed me too.

Which one? :rofl:

Novocastrian Apr 4th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by babsi (Post 6159703)
A restuarant near the Eiffel Tower in Paris, it's annoying as I can't remember the name.

Maxim's? Tut, tut. Only tourists order steak there.

club_biscuit Apr 4th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by geo4 (Post 6159218)
Has anyone been to either Carmen's or Barbarians?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

haven't been to Carmen's, been to barberians a few times - okay steak, not "the best ever" but they charge like it is! presentation leaves a lot to be desired as well.

I've had hit and miss experience with the Keg, Canyon Creek is pretty good (the west end one, across from sherway, anyway) and harbour 60 does a pretty decent steak, but again, not sure it's worth the serious cash they ask for it.

so far, haven't had one place jump out as excellent steak in toronto - but Canyon Creek is probably a good bet all things considered.

macadian Apr 4th 2008 9:46 pm

Best I have found is the Keg...without paying a fortune. :thumbsup: Worst of places I have found is Red Lobster. I can do a better steak!!! Sea food was good but steaks? Forget it!:thumbdown: