Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Just thought I'd add our experience to this thread.

We were moving some stuff from Glasgow to Toronto by groupage. Mainly personal belongings but a couple of pieces of furniture also. We tried to get around 4 quotes - a couple of online companies that have been mentioned on here but they wouldn't send anyone out, so could only estimate based on our guess at the volume etc. One of the bigger names who get good reviews on here didn't even bother to return our call.

By far the best service at the quoting and initial inquiry stage was the Moving Partnership. They were happy to have someone come out to verify the quantity we were shipping, which put our mind at ease a bit more. The volume being quoted on was similar to the estimates from the online companies but the Moving Partnership were cheaper by a long shot. Based on cost and service to that point we chose them. Our belongings were taken by Britannia in Glasgow and delivered by AMJ Campbell in Toronto. Everything arrived intact and within the timeframe given. Communication was good, although AMJ Campbell not always the best at returning calls quickly. All in all, very happy with the service. The guys doing the move at each end were very professional and helpful. We packed the majority ourselves, and had the movers pack a few of the trickier/larger pieces.

insurance - as mentioned on here, Letton Percival were very reasonable. The Moving Partnership had suggested they could try and match the quote but when I told them the cost they said there was no way they could go as low.

So, thanks to all for their comments on this and other threads. Very helpful. To be fair to the other companies, there are bound to be good and bad reviews about probably all of the companies. It was good to read both sides of it for all of the companies we looked at, and I know there are people on here who have not had a good experience with the Moving Partnership. It definitely helped us with our research and our final choice, although the service, price and information provided by the Moving Partnership made it a fairly easy decision for us in this particular case.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. G. - many thanks! I have chosen them too, so you have reassured me. They have - so far - been really great to us, we are in France, but they still arranged to come and look at the house, and have been most informative, and straightforward. I sincerely hope that I am still positive about their services at the end of the move!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Mrs G, I used to spend my summers as a kid in Dunoon. Don't suppose you knew Isobel, Bill and Marie Goodfellow?

Thanks for your info regarding shipping companies and insurance. I'll look into them. I take it your belongings were shipped in a container shared by others?

Last edited by Tony-the-Tigger; Mar 14th 2012 at 11:05 am. Reason: Added more info
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Mrs G, I used to spend my summers as a kid in Dunoon. Don't suppose you knew Isobel, Bill and Marie Goodfellow?

Thanks for your info regarding shipping companies and insurance. I'll look into them. I take it your belongings were shipped in a container shared by others?
Those names don't sound familiar, sorry. What age bracket would they be? I'm just into my 40s although its a Small town where usually everybody knows everybody and everything about tthem.....and if they don't they make it up anyway.

Yes, our belongings came in a shared container.as a side note, they don't give you tracking info but they do give you the container I.D. and ship name and a wee bit of googling will find you websites where you can track the ship as its leaving the UK and again as its approaching Canada.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Well fox came in and told me, re the ivory, we will hide it and call it an ornament. Re the blowpipe, ornament. Oh and by law they have to do a full pack, repacking everything we have packed (which is fine) or they can't ship it. Oh and we only need 20ft container. Both others have said will jam pack a 40 needless to say I don't care how cheap they are I'm not trusting them with my worldly goods!
They a full pack to charge you and get extra money. I have shipped twice and done all the packing myself Canada boarder agency aren't interested who packs and they never ask. If you read their web site it clearly states that containers are chosen randomly for inspection. Absolutely no where on your paperwork will it say or ask whose packed.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

snowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud ofsnowhugs has much to be proud of

I have been gathering quotes for 20ft container (sole use) from Essex to Toronto... this has been a real eye opener and without the wealth of info from this site I would have been very vulnerable to these companies!

So far have quotes ranging from DIY jobs with Ist move International to Pickfords prices reflect this .
The worst so far was Pickfords, guy was full of himself , talked to me as if I knew nothing, refused to let me pack my own boxes and said Pickfords would unpack everything and repack or it would not pass customs, I challenged him there and then... refused to relent and went ahead with quote despite my protestations.!!! How rude !!

Needless to say we will not be going with them , at £5200!!! , GB several hundred less but far more professional, also waiting fro Fox, Whites and co. Pss and Britainia.. will keep you posted.

Cheapest so far £2600 most £5200 what a difference .
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 5:10 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowhugs

GB several hundred less but far more professional, also waiting fro Fox, Whites and co. Pss and Britainia.. will keep you posted.

Cheapest so far £2600 most £5200 what a difference .

The company's you have listed vary in a lot of ways, in terms of what you will get for your buck. Don't be tempted by price alone.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Re: Best Shipping company?

Has any body used the moving partnership? with an 'online quote' ?
we're booked with them in June and would just like to know of others opinions of them
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Has any body used the moving partnership? with an 'online quote' ?
we're booked with them in June and would just like to know of others opinions of them
or Hamiltons in Norfolk
Old May 31st 2012, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Shipping company - company and inspections?

We're about to decide on a shipping company (full pack, 40 ft high top) to move from the Cotswolds to Nova Scotia. I've had 5 companies in (Excess, Pickfords, Britannia, Anglo-Pacific, and GB Liners). We were meant to go a year a go and so had most of them in previously - last time we were leaning towards Pickfords. This time.. not sure. We've acquired a lot more stuff (obviously!). Anyone have experience with any of these going into Halifax and can offer advice?

On another point, we've had very different comments from them on things we should/should not take. We understand any motors have to be totally cleaned out - we plan to bring our pricey mower and a few strimmers and a chainsaw. One company said Canada is now frowning on mowers and we shouldn't take - others said no problem (if doing the prep work). Funnily, apparently no problem with the other tools - something about it being on wheels.. The latter was Excess, who apparently ship alot to NS.

Other discrepancies - we have a dozen horse matts (heavy duty rubber that's pretty pricey). They've not been used in years and we will power wash and sanitize them. Again, one company said no way, others no problem. We won't take if it raises the ire of the immigration people but will if it's reasonable.

Another irregular piece to move: we are taking over a standard red telephone box . Pickfords is giving us the lowest quote overall but somehow figures 4 men can tip this (750kg) into the tail lift of their truck. I guess on that part we can clarify - we can hire a local crane guy for £100 to lift it onto their truck but am wondering about their reliability when this seems an obvious 'not going to happen'.

Other discrepancy: one company said Canada frowns on anything with rust on it. Others said no big deal. This is in relation to some cast iron pots - I've repainted the exteriors but not the insides, a couple of which have rust inside. We also have large cast iron driveway gates - some minor rust but not a lot but we won't be cleaning it off them. Any advice?

And - just to keep life interesting we're bringing a yurt (used). The wooden frame pieces are painted and clean but there's a wool felt cover, which has some straw embedded in it - near impossible to remove every piece. I guess I'd not be surprised if they decide to fumigate the container on arrival (which is what some of the shippers have said might happen but not all).. but wonder how much that'll cost - anyone have this happen?

We also have various gardening tools - which we have followed protocol and cleaned then painted all blades, stained wooden handles, cleaned with Jeyes, etc. And we have a wonderful gypsy chicken house - new but made of wood, which we've creosoted, and will douse in jeyes.

What else.. hmm. there's more but that's enough as you'll think us insane (OK, there's no doubt ) Oh yes, we are taking a kitchen sink, (more than one), lol.

And of course there's also the discrepancy on being able to pack some small stuff - some companies saying we can't use any of our own boxes and others no way that we can pack a thing..

Anyway, life is awful complicated! Would sure love some advice on shippers and customs (or whatever the authorities are called).
Old May 31st 2012, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
CFIA might inspect the container to see if tools, mowers, vehicles etc etc
have been cleaned and no soil is evident or wood products are clear of bugs, parasites etc.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Best Shipping company - company and inspections?

Originally Posted by canuckypom
We're about to decide on a shipping company (full pack, 40 ft high top) to move from the Cotswolds to Nova Scotia. I've had 5 companies in (Excess, Pickfords, Britannia, Anglo-Pacific, and GB Liners). We were meant to go a year a go and so had most of them in previously - last time we were leaning towards Pickfords. This time.. not sure. We've acquired a lot more stuff (obviously!). Anyone have experience with any of these going into Halifax and can offer advice?

On another point, we've had very different comments from them on things we should/should not take. We understand any motors have to be totally cleaned out - we plan to bring our pricey mower and a few strimmers and a chainsaw. One company said Canada is now frowning on mowers and we shouldn't take - others said no problem (if doing the prep work). Funnily, apparently no problem with the other tools - something about it being on wheels.. The latter was Excess, who apparently ship alot to NS.

Other discrepancies - we have a dozen horse matts (heavy duty rubber that's pretty pricey). They've not been used in years and we will power wash and sanitize them. Again, one company said no way, others no problem. We won't take if it raises the ire of the immigration people but will if it's reasonable.

Another irregular piece to move: we are taking over a standard red telephone box . Pickfords is giving us the lowest quote overall but somehow figures 4 men can tip this (750kg) into the tail lift of their truck. I guess on that part we can clarify - we can hire a local crane guy for £100 to lift it onto their truck but am wondering about their reliability when this seems an obvious 'not going to happen'.

Other discrepancy: one company said Canada frowns on anything with rust on it. Others said no big deal. This is in relation to some cast iron pots - I've repainted the exteriors but not the insides, a couple of which have rust inside. We also have large cast iron driveway gates - some minor rust but not a lot but we won't be cleaning it off them. Any advice?

And - just to keep life interesting we're bringing a yurt (used). The wooden frame pieces are painted and clean but there's a wool felt cover, which has some straw embedded in it - near impossible to remove every piece. I guess I'd not be surprised if they decide to fumigate the container on arrival (which is what some of the shippers have said might happen but not all).. but wonder how much that'll cost - anyone have this happen?

We also have various gardening tools - which we have followed protocol and cleaned then painted all blades, stained wooden handles, cleaned with Jeyes, etc. And we have a wonderful gypsy chicken house - new but made of wood, which we've creosoted, and will douse in jeyes.

What else.. hmm. there's more but that's enough as you'll think us insane (OK, there's no doubt ) Oh yes, we are taking a kitchen sink, (more than one), lol.

And of course there's also the discrepancy on being able to pack some small stuff - some companies saying we can't use any of our own boxes and others no way that we can pack a thing..

Anyway, life is awful complicated! Would sure love some advice on shippers and customs (or whatever the authorities are called).

The only advice I can give you is DO NOT USE PICKFORDS

9 weeks after we've left the UK our stuff still stuck in Milton Keynes and the reason? They couldnt find anyone to group our stuff with
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canuckypom

As a Canadian freight forwarder and lots of experience with customs entering Canada. With the variety of product you have mentioned you are bound to be inspected, horse matts are you crazy? Lawnmowers, whipper snippers, chainsaws, etc. Even the yurt with the straw is not good, get rid of it. Just sell that stuff and buy new here, I am serious. Besides the value on the UK side is higher and you can likely buy the same things for less here. #1 rule for overseas shipping is don't be a hoarder. No hazardous chemicals, aerosols, solvents, fruits/veg/meats, and other common sense no no's. I cannot speak for the rust issue. No matter how clean the above items are, you are raising the risk of inspection level having these shipped because when you go to do the customs entry in Halifax, they are going to review your packing list and the manifest presented to you by the steamship line. Back to the topic of customs examination issued under the Customs Act by the CBSA, if you have the slightest amount of soil sediment or wood packaging that is not IPPC certified approved inside that container, Canada Customs has every right to deny entry into Canada and or destroy it. The CBSA has more power than the police. Make sure you make a detailed packing list. It is okay to arrange a self pack container but you have to treat it like a project and put work into organizing it, nothing wrong with doing self pack, those white glove moving companies you mention are simply trying to scare you. You can use your own boxes. Even after not shipping all of these riskier items, you could still be randomly sent for examination, and guess how much that costs, for a 40'HC container you'd be looking at $1000.00to $2000.00 approx, such charges are payable to the trucking company / warehouse that facilitates the movement from the port of Halifax to a designated bonded warehouse. I cannot promote my freight services on this site, but for any other questions you are welcome to private message me. Good luck, and welcome to Canada eh!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
The only advice I can give you is DO NOT USE PICKFORDS

9 weeks after we've left the UK our stuff still stuck in Milton Keynes and the reason? They couldnt find anyone to group our stuff with
Thanks for replying. That's not good but I suppose that is the risk going groupage as you're dependent on their filling a container and they don't offer guarantees on that.

Our situation is quite different on that side of things - anyone else with experience on full containers with Pickfords? Our short list is Pickfords, GB Liners (much more pricey) and Excess.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this link
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-2-1-eng.pdf
CFIA might inspect the container to see if tools, mowers, vehicles etc etc
have been cleaned and no soil is evident or wood products are clear of bugs, parasites etc.
Thank you but this looks like this refers to settlers - as in folks who move to Canada to settle for the 1st time. We are returning Canadians (permanent residence having been established elsewhere for some years) - does the same guidance apply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.