Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best Shipping company?

Best Shipping company?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:28 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Shipping company?

Canukeypom - why are you going for groupage? It sounds like you have enough to fill your own container twice over (I speak as a woman who is preparing to fill a container twice over!). I'm not sure about the yurt, I can see that it might make the pulse of the customs men beat a bit faster most certainly. I am taking the mower, it's only been used a couple of times, but I'm just going to power wash it and then use Jeyes Fluid on it. My shippers seem to think that's fine. We have an odd assortment of things that my husband refuses to be parted from, a couple of old motor bikes circa 1920, and a host of blasted BIG model airplanes. I'm using The Moving Partnership, they have -so far - been excellent. Best of luck.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MillieF
Canukeypom - why are you going for groupage? It sounds like you have enough to fill your own container twice over (I speak as a woman who is preparing to fill a container twice over!). I'm not sure about the yurt, I can see that it might make the pulse of the customs men beat a bit faster most certainly. I am taking the mower, it's only been used a couple of times, but I'm just going to power wash it and then use Jeyes Fluid on it. My shippers seem to think that's fine. We have an odd assortment of things that my husband refuses to be parted from, a couple of old motor bikes circa 1920, and a host of blasted BIG model airplanes. I'm using The Moving Partnership, they have -so far - been excellent. Best of luck.
Hi Millie - my typo mistake there - yes, we're going with a full container, a 40 ft high cube - no sharing for us! I'm just off the phone with the moving partnership as after hearing good things on the forum yesterday I figure I should get a quote from them too - but time is ticking, must decide in the next few days.

As for the yurt, I think we're going to give that a go - we've bought it specifically to set up on our new smallholding for paying guests, the outside canvas has been ditched (we've a new roll of canvas still in the wrapper) and it's looking in good form. We'll have to take a chance I think. We'll let the horse matts go (OH is not happy since they've not seen a horse in forever, are high end and have been stored really well - will cost us a pretty penny in Canada). With the mower - unless I hear otherwise I'll do the same as you. OH has already taken the other pieces of equipment totally apart, cleaned the insides - looking better than new. I'm starting to put cumbersome blankets and towels (some of) in vaccuum bags - to remove the air and make their volume smaller - shame I can't do that with the phone box

I might try to track down a customs agent in Halifax to get some advice on this stuff...

Good luck!! Where are you moving to?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Best Shipping company - company and inspections?

Originally Posted by rdashmore
As a Canadian freight forwarder and lots of experience with customs entering Canada. With the variety of product you have mentioned you are bound to be inspected, horse matts are you crazy? Lawnmowers, whipper snippers, chainsaws, etc. Even the yurt with the straw is not good, get rid of it. Just sell that stuff and buy new here, I am serious. Besides the value on the UK side is higher and you can likely buy the same things for less here. #1 rule for overseas shipping is don't be a hoarder. No hazardous chemicals, aerosols, solvents, fruits/veg/meats, and other common sense no no's. I cannot speak for the rust issue. No matter how clean the above items are, you are raising the risk of inspection level having these shipped because when you go to do the customs entry in Halifax, they are going to review your packing list and the manifest presented to you by the steamship line. Back to the topic of customs examination issued under the Customs Act by the CBSA, if you have the slightest amount of soil sediment or wood packaging that is not IPPC certified approved inside that container, Canada Customs has every right to deny entry into Canada and or destroy it. The CBSA has more power than the police. Make sure you make a detailed packing list. It is okay to arrange a self pack container but you have to treat it like a project and put work into organizing it, nothing wrong with doing self pack, those white glove moving companies you mention are simply trying to scare you. You can use your own boxes. Even after not shipping all of these riskier items, you could still be randomly sent for examination, and guess how much that costs, for a 40'HC container you'd be looking at $1000.00to $2000.00 approx, such charges are payable to the trucking company / warehouse that facilitates the movement from the port of Halifax to a designated bonded warehouse. I cannot promote my freight services on this site, but for any other questions you are welcome to private message me. Good luck, and welcome to Canada eh!
Thanks for this info Rob. Can I ask where you operate from? We'll be going with a complete pack service, though we'll do ourselves a few boxes of non-breakables with the cartons left open for the folks to look at before sealing. Figure we might be able to pack cumbersome stuff better than whoever comes in (we've moved around the globe a few times). We'll drop the horse matts based on your advice. BTW, do you know the cost of fumigation at entry? We realise we're probably destined for inspection with the unusual items we have but we're taking very good care to ensure everything sparkles - but it would be good to know what a fumigation costs if they decide on it.

As an agent - can you suggest specific companies that you see stuff come in via that should be avoided (or perhaps that's opening you up to business probs..)?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
Thank you but this looks like this refers to settlers - as in folks who move to Canada to settle for the 1st time. We are returning Canadians (permanent residence having been established elsewhere for some years) - does the same guidance apply?
Try this one then but yeah pretty much the same except in this one no single item can be more than $10,000 without having to pay tax on it.
So if you have a single item worth $15,000 you would be paying taxes on $5,000.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-2-eng.pdf
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Try this one then but yeah pretty much the same except in this one no single item can be more than $10,000 without having to pay tax on it.
So if you have a single item worth $15,000 you would be paying taxes on $5,000.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-3-2-eng.pdf
Thanks very much for this. We have nothing that falls in that price category so on that (only?) score we should be safe..
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this info Rob. Can I ask where you operate from? We'll be going with a complete pack service, though we'll do ourselves a few boxes of non-breakables with the cartons left open for the folks to look at before sealing. Figure we might be able to pack cumbersome stuff better than whoever comes in (we've moved around the globe a few times). We'll drop the horse matts based on your advice. BTW, do you know the cost of fumigation at entry? We realise we're probably destined for inspection with the unusual items we have but we're taking very good care to ensure everything sparkles - but it would be good to know what a fumigation costs if they decide on it.

As an agent - can you suggest specific companies that you see stuff come in via that should be avoided (or perhaps that's opening you up to business probs..)?
I operate from London, Ontario, Canada. We arrange all types of commercial and personalized cargo movements, air, ocean, rail and trucking domestically and internationally to/from Canada. Our customs brokerage service is commercial only (not for personal effects) but we can lead people in the right direction so they contact the CBSA directly.

Fumigation at entry is a rare situation, I've heard more of the opposite where a shipment had a high level of fumigation internally and it delayed the customs officers getting the chance to inspect the container, hence storage costs were accumulated at the port.

If you have an item (wood packaging or otherwise) that requires fumigation, it is best you proactively arrange it prior to sending it with a local UK company that will provide you an official fumigation certificate. It is now more common for wood packaging providers to provide IPPC Heat Treated wood packaging instead of fumigation, talk with your decided moving company about providers in your area.

Don't just wait until arrival to do a fumigation because Canada Customs may not even give you the chance to do so, meaning it could be declined entry or destroyed as mentioned before. If you come with a certificate its much better.

I cannot speak about the services of other companies, but thankfully this forum is full of peoples shipping experiences and feedback that you can learn from.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently in Vancouver on a working holiday visa but submitting my PNP application this week and thought I should start thinking about shipping things over. I obviously wont until the application is successful but its good to think about because am going home in October for a 18 day visit. I live in East Sussex in England and will be looking to ship over

several boxes of books
several boxes of dvds
a couple of boxes of cds
several boxes of collectibles
x box, playstation, mega drive, couple of dvd players, a uk tv to play them on (what sort of transformer do I need to get this to work in Canada, I forget and where can I buy one, here in Vancouver or back in England)
box or 2 filled with paperwork
roller blades
box of toiletries
couple of boxes of perishables (namely marmite, thai sweet chilli walkers, batchelors super noodles etc)

obviously not a full container full, what you think my best and cheapest options are for shipping groupage container, excess-shipping.com or air transat cargo. The hard thing with the quotes if they ask for the weight of boxes etc. how do I estimate that with no scales or anything?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rdashmore
As a Canadian freight forwarder and lots of experience with customs entering Canada. With the variety of product you have mentioned you are bound to be inspected, horse matts are you crazy? Lawnmowers, whipper snippers, chainsaws, etc. Even the yurt with the straw is not good, get rid of it. Just sell that stuff and buy new here, I am serious. Besides the value on the UK side is higher and you can likely buy the same things for less here. #1 rule for overseas shipping is don't be a hoarder. No hazardous chemicals, aerosols, solvents, fruits/veg/meats, and other common sense no no's. I cannot speak for the rust issue. No matter how clean the above items are, you are raising the risk of inspection level having these shipped because when you go to do the customs entry in Halifax, they are going to review your packing list and the manifest presented to you by the steamship line. Back to the topic of customs examination issued under the Customs Act by the CBSA, if you have the slightest amount of soil sediment or wood packaging that is not IPPC certified approved inside that container, Canada Customs has every right to deny entry into Canada and or destroy it. The CBSA has more power than the police. Make sure you make a detailed packing list. It is okay to arrange a self pack container but you have to treat it like a project and put work into organizing it, nothing wrong with doing self pack, those white glove moving companies you mention are simply trying to scare you. You can use your own boxes. Even after not shipping all of these riskier items, you could still be randomly sent for examination, and guess how much that costs, for a 40'HC container you'd be looking at $1000.00to $2000.00 approx, such charges are payable to the trucking company / warehouse that facilitates the movement from the port of Halifax to a designated bonded warehouse. I cannot promote my freight services on this site, but for any other questions you are welcome to private message me. Good luck, and welcome to Canada eh!
Just to provide an update on our experience:
- We DID go with Pickfords and have had a really positive experience with them. The previous commentor who was waiting 9 weeks for a groupage shipment, I guess that's the risk you run by going groupage - and that same risk would exist with anyone. Anyway, we had our own 40 ft high top container and that wasn't an issue. But as for Pickfords - on the UK side the packers were pretty good. There was a bit of 'I can't believe they're not utilising space better' when they were packing and so we had to ask them to do that (using our towels and bedding as packaging, putting some things inside other things etc.) In reality all this takes these guys longer and I guess at the end of the day the packing crew and the job is quoted at taking a certain amount of time and any more is costing them (the staff labour). That said they did go over and had to come back a few hours another day and were fine about it. There's been a few things broken over here in Canada but actually much less than I expected considering we were shipping a very large amount of antique furniture and dishes. A silly mistake when they loaded into the container meant the leg busted off an antique desk, but generally very good. And the shipping contractors on the Canadian side in Halifax (AMJ Campbell) were great - great guys, great service.

- As for taking risky items and running the risk of the container being inspected - it was a non-issue. We brought all the mentioned (except for the mower and horse matts and in hindsight should have brought both). There was no inspection, nothing but pleasant 'stamp and here you go, ma'am'. Perhaps because we came in early July - hot time for shipping so they were probably busy - who knows. But I certainly, based on my experience, don't have any issue recommending people taking the sorts of things we did (outdoor tools etc included). Of course we did clean and paint the blades on everything - and noted this on the 'goods to follow' list. Our stuff looked very sparkly but alas no one saw them but us..

Our stuff arrived at the door earlier than expected - too soon truth be told, as we'd hoped to paint a few rooms in the new place before hand. Nope - 2 wks and it was on the doorstep. It came on the ship originally tagged for the shipment and no issues whatsoever.

- And as for the cost of goods in Canada vs the UK, we knew the price of comparable goods in Canada (being Cdns and going back and forth 1 or twice a year for 9 years) and no way - for the most part things would have cost more to buy in Canada than they did in Britain, even with the shipping. Very pleased we brought our sofa, mattress and related. Oh - and the UK TV - wasn't a problem, plugged her in with an adaptor plug and away she went, no problem (bought a converter for $60 but didn't even use it). Someone had replied to my earlier query on this by saying many TVs are now made in Asia and have chips inside to adapt to a range of countries (or something along those lines) and it would appear to be the case with our's.

Hope this helps others. Pickfords - no probs at all (quick, pleasant (except for an office staffer in England who could use some service training!) and by far the best price, by over £1K) and no probs on importing a range of household effects.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:31 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

- We DID go with Pickfords and have had a really positive experience with them. The previous commentor who was waiting 9 weeks for a groupage shipment, I guess that's the risk you run by going groupage - and that same risk would exist with anyone. Anyway, we had our own 40 ft high top container and that wasn't an issue. But as for Pickfords - on the UK side the packers were pretty good. There was a bit of 'I can't believe they're not utilising space better' when they were packing and so we had to ask them to do that (using our towels and bedding as packaging, putting some things inside other things etc.) In reality all this takes these guys longer and I guess at the end of the day the packing crew and the job is quoted at taking a certain amount of time and any more is costing them (the staff labour). That said they did go over and had to come back a few hours another day and were fine about it. There's been a few things broken over here in Canada but actually much less than I expected considering we were shipping a very large amount of antique furniture and dishes. A silly mistake when they loaded into the container meant the leg busted off an antique desk, but generally very good. And the shipping contractors on the Canadian side in Halifax (AMJ Campbell) were great - great guys, great service.

- As for taking risky items and running the risk of the container being inspected - it was a non-issue. We brought all the mentioned (except for the mower and horse matts and in hindsight should have brought both). There was no inspection, nothing but pleasant 'stamp and here you go, ma'am'. Perhaps because we came in early July - hot time for shipping so they were probably busy - who knows. But I certainly, based on my experience, don't have any issue recommending people taking the sorts of things we did (outdoor tools etc included). Of course we did clean and paint the blades on everything - and noted this on the 'goods to follow' list. Our stuff looked very sparkly but alas no one saw them but us..

Our stuff arrived at the door earlier than expected - too soon truth be told, as we'd hoped to paint a few rooms in the new place before hand. Nope - 2 wks and it was on the doorstep. It came on the ship originally tagged for the shipment and no issues whatsoever.

- And as for the cost of goods in Canada vs the UK, we knew the price of comparable goods in Canada (being Cdns and going back and forth 1 or twice a year for 9 years) and no way - for the most part things would have cost more to buy in Canada than they did in Britain, even with the shipping. Very pleased we brought our sofa, mattress and related. Oh - and the UK TV - wasn't a problem, plugged her in with an adaptor plug and away she went, no problem (bought a converter for $60 but didn't even use it). Someone had replied to my earlier query on this by saying many TVs are now made in Asia and have chips inside to adapt to a range of countries (or something along those lines) and it would appear to be the case with our's.

Hope this helps others. Pickfords - no probs at all (quick, pleasant (except for an office staffer in England who could use some service training!) and by far the best price, by over £1K) and no probs on importing a range of household effects.
Not sure I would think I had a positive experience, if the crew didn't know how to load the container properly, and their bad packing meant that an antique desk leg was broken.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

The world I live in yes, definitely positive overall to have only 1 piece of furniture damaged considering the quantity of stuff and the distance travelled. The glass is definitely more than half full.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pleased to hear your that your move was a positive experience.

Yes, you were fortunate to avoid a random inspection and it is quite easy to say you would have brought the items in hindsight. Certain items prompt inspections, it's a fact, I hope leaving those few items was the very reason you were not inspected and saved you the possible $1000~$2000.00 additional expense.

Most products are less costly in Canada compared to Britain, but certainly not all.

You saved CA$1500 overall using this service compared to other white glove pack and move companies, did you check how much it would have cost to do a 'self pack' 40'HC?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

paul n sue is an unknown quantity at this point

everywhere is cheaper than the UK!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul n sue
everywhere is cheaper than the UK!
If only that were true. Many things here are now more expensive from what I hear.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:47 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If only that were true. Many things here are now more expensive from what I hear.
Yes, I agree iaink. When you look at prices 'quickly' they often seem more expensive. When you get down to what 'YOU' and your family buy, they are probably pretty much of a muchness.

My shipping has finally arrived!!! It wasn't the shipping company's fault that the blasted vessel broke down in Antwerp. After ten weeks, me and my 45 job that blocked the street in both countries were reunited. Yes...I was one of the 'lucky' ones that was randomly checked - I had a vehicle on board - a 31 year old 2CV - so I paid the $1,600 for my random check... they didn't... or maybe they just X-rayed it, as nothing had been opened, it just delayed the whole process. None of it was bad actually, everyone was most pleasant (if not speedy) and had I known in advance that it would have taken ten weeks I would have planned for it.

I have found the Canadian Government to be nothing if not accommodating in the most part. They couldn't get to the vehicle in the container, so they came to the house to check it, and were utterly charming. A couple of things arrived with a bang or a boom, two mirrors were broken (or as Canadian OH would say "mirrohs") and a couple of bits appear to be missing, but on the whole not too bad at all. I would go for 'The Moving Partnership' for my they were brilliant. The movers left tonight... I must be getting old, because I'm just bloody knackered!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:12 am
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder if anyone had any idea of costs for self pack 20 ft container? we have a two bed house and will be taking the marjority of things with us, mainly antiques and memorabilia. we also have 2x road bikes and 2x vintage pashley bikes we will be taking. we are going to bin all the kitchen goods (nothing of value) and sell all the white goods here. I was budgeting about £4K but anywhere I can save money is a bonus as I am still an avid MSE'r and always will be even in canada!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.