Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all
Default Re: BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes - you are right. Still not going to use it - it's not frequent enough and I'm 20 minutes drive away from the station. It needs to be every 10 mins all day (like skytrain) to get me out of my car when I head downtown.
Its not ideal but if you want a job it is you not the Canadian's who will have to go the extra mile.

Surely we have enough stacked against us as new immigrants to a country without adding more.

Or is that everyones view until you get there and you find yourself compromising on everything?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shhhh
Apart from the 211, 212, and 290 buses that go straight there of course Or you could always get one of those standing up kayak things...
The N. Shore is a great place to be with the family (we're just up from Deep Cove), and has a "not part of the city" feel, but with the convenience of being very close if you need it. The downside is it's definitely not cheap!

Thanks for the headsup on the buses. Stand up kayak thing???????

Anywhere nice seems very expensive in canada. We nearly went for holiday let in deep cove but it seemed so remote.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dboy
I had a swift one a while back at the raven....chatting with some owd English fella at the bar who it happened worked with me mam at Walls in the 60's! Small world.

I like Deep Cove and not that much harder to get to really. 10 mins or so from Phibs Exchange.
My dad worked at walls in the 60's, small world.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Its not ideal but if you want a job it is you not the Canadian's who will have to go the extra mile.

Surely we have enough stacked against us as new immigrants to a country without adding more.

Or is that everyones view until you get there and you find yourself compromising on everything?
I'd say living as far out as Maple Ridge is a comprimise in itself - a balance between space and affordability. The price to pay is the commute - but as I work from home 4 days a week it's not a very high one. I wouldn't want to commute everyday (by car or train) - and if I had to do that I would move.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd say living as far out as Maple Ridge is a comprimise in itself - a balance between space and affordability. The price to pay is the commute - but as I work from home 4 days a week it's not a very high one. I wouldn't want to commute everyday (by car or train) - and if I had to do that I would move.
I think you have a point.