Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all
Default Re: BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

Originally Posted by minimeeze
It depends where you're gonna be based for work. I would hate to commute from Abbotsford or Chilliwack to Vancouver, but I know people who do.

I've lived in Abbotsford for the last 2 years since arriving in Canada, but will shortly be moving to Chilliwack (most people do it the other way round). Abbotsford is ok, lots of very religious people around, little in the way of entertainment but seems quite family orientated. I live in a quiet area on the east side of Abbotsford and quite like it. I'm setting a business up in Chilliwack, hence the move. Chilliwack is much smaller than Abbotsford, there is less there, but it is developing rapidly.

They are last options and to be honest the religious stuff is not an issue for us as we were both raised catholics but have since lapsed. I take it work wise is thin on the grown in these areas for corporate type management?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by guardianx
WHy not rent a place for a few months down town then you can go check out all of the places while looking into work... Its amazing how a place can look good on the net and not be what you expected when you get there - New Westminster for example

Also when you first arrive go meet loads of people, the more you talk the more you find out different ideas for the long term... I'm glad we didnt plan a move out in the burbs before we got here...
Because we hate cities and while Vancouver (downtown) was the exception to this rule we would not like to live too near to the downtown area.

I will try to talk to everyone I can and luckily the Canadians are very friendly, but are there places I can go to find out more?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
port moody, coquitlam, and port coquitlam kind of function as one unit...they are called the Tri-Cities, have the same school district etc, though they are separate cities, you could never tell if you were driving around the area where one begins and the other ends. Have friends in the Lam/Port Moody and have worked in Port Coquitlam, it's ok, Poco is probably the cheapest of the three, but it's just that bit further to Van which is probably why.

Never heard of Port Hammond

Wouldn't live in Maple Ridge, the Pitt, Abby or Chilliwack because they are too far from Vancouver for me...but others will hopefully be along to talk about them.
Port hammond is just a small bit of Maple Ridge. Why wouldn't you live in maple ridge or pitt meadows? It is only a 50min skytrain to downtown.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
Yes downtown. Corporate end jobs are in that region for organisations such as KPMG and PwC.
That sounds like a lot of money for a city in which people are generally not well paid. If you can get it then good luck to you.

Quite a negative view which I do not understand, but you do have the benefit of being there and having I assume to had real information. I unfortunately could only asuume and hence I need to ask. But what would be helpful is a reason why you think this so I can understand if I am miss-informed.
Veterinary care, that is working in a vet's but not being a vet, is a minimum wage job. One would have to take a course to get started, I'm not sure what course but suppose vet tech is two years at a community college, say $10,000. One would have to get to work, quite possibly needing a car and one might have to pay for clothing and/or cleaning thereof. At $10 an hour I think one would struggle to generate enough income to pay off the loan for the course. If the course and/or working entails paying for childcare then financially the idea makes no sense, if it doesn't then it's marginal. There may, of course, be other reasons to do it, if the income from the accounting firm makes it feasible.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Maple Ridge:

Pros: Pretty country side, relatively affordable, peace and quiet, acreages with proper internet (I could have 100Mb), not full of wannabes like in Vancouver, normalish people, relatively friendly.

Cons: Car necessary, no bin men (at least east of 256th), ugly looking town centre, grow-ops, arsehole drivers in trucks.

It took me an hour to get downtown this morning. If I had to be in Vancouver everyday living here would not be possible (for me at least). I live east of MR town centre though, on the other side (near Pitt Meadows) the commute would be a lot better.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree but hate living in city centres and as such looking at tri-cities and maple ridge first.

The area we are staying in in moody is beautiful but a house the size we need would be around 850'000 can$ which is a little too high.

Why do you think Poco is a dump, it seems nice from pics online.
check out Fort Langley....pretty small town, semi rural on the river, but only 5mins or so drive to hwy 1. Not sure on house prices, cheaper than port moody though I would think.

I agree with Brizzles views on the tri cities.....dumpy palces car/ mall centric towns with the usual chain stores and no soul.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We have a fairly good idea and found on recent trips that BC fitted the bill. Just that the moneysense report sent us a curve ball by ranking these places in BC so low and the others I mentioned (kingston et el) so highly.
These kind of surveys ignore the easy access to the wilderness, the sea and the mountains. The relaxed, multicultural, easy lifestyle. The sheer beauty of the place. If these matter to you then they count for far more than a few points on a quality of life survey. If they don't matter to you then you might start wondering why you are paying $850,000 for a standard Canadian house.

Quite a negative view which I do not understand, but you do have the benefit of being there
Actually, a couple of thousand miles away.

Originally Posted by dbd33
That sounds like a lot of money for a city in which people are generally not well paid. If you can get it then good luck to you.
Wages in the downtown business district are a lot higher than the rest of Vancouver. For a manager level role in a big four firm the range the OP quotes seems quite reasonable.

Originally Posted by dboy
check out Fort Langley....pretty small town, semi rural on the river, but only 5mins or so drive to hwy 1. Not sure on house prices, cheaper than port moody though I would think.
Yes, don't forget to look south of the river. Of the listed options I would go for Port Moody. However, there are many communities south of the river I would chose above any of the places the OP listed.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:04 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

keep toying with the idea of white rock...but the mrs works downtown. I actually find it affordable (relatively speaking) after living in both vancouver and on the north shore.

I think we may end up there eventually, in say the next 3 years or so. I am hopeful the mrs can go down to a 4 day week which will make the commute easier to swallow.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Wages in the downtown business district are a lot higher than the rest of Vancouver. For a manager level role in a big four firm the range the OP quotes seems quite reasonable.
That would depend on what the OP means by IT management. For many roles mid 90's would be the upper end.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a couple of thousand miles away.
But with some experience of the business in question, a small market in Canada. I think the numbers are optimistic but, again, if he can get that money, good luck to him.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But with some experience of the business in question,
Granted, though the salary Alan2005 mentioned is in the range the OP is expecting.

Although Vancouver has a reputation of being a lower wage city than Toronto (and probably deservedly so) there is a concentrated area in the downtown business district where the high flying businesses are located. And, consequently, the expensive service providers.

I know more about accounting salaries than IT but I know that an accounting role that would pay $70k in a suburban industrial area, or $80k in the rest of Vancouver would pay $125k at Burrard and Pender.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I have discovered none rank very high in moneysense best places to live in Canada
Probably because housing affordability and low wages drag the ratings down, compared to other places in Canada.

Why do you think Poco is a dump, it seems nice from pics online.
The views of the mountains may be good, but the area itself isn't particularly picturesque IMO (railway yards/highways/box stores etc) and some parts have a run-down feel. The actual downtown part isn't too bad, but Poco just seems to have a higher proportion of yahoo's/homeless than other areas. It's the cheapest part of the tri-cities and generally there is a reason for that.

Port hammond is just a small bit of Maple Ridge. Why wouldn't you live in maple ridge or pitt meadows? It is only a 50min skytrain to downtown.
No skytrain out there. It's the West Coast Express. Limited commuter rail service. Seems a bit pricy and surprisingly few trains.

http://www.westcoastexpress.com/sche...ageID=SCHEDULE

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I live in Maple Ridge:

It took me an hour to get downtown this morning. If I had to be in Vancouver everyday living here would not be possible (for me at least). I live east of MR town centre though, on the other side (near Pitt Meadows) the commute would be a lot better.
I would think that an hour would be a good run wouldn't it? Was this at peak commuter time?

To the OP, don't overlook the work aspect. Have you got any leads for work? Your research may have revealed those salary scales, which might be possible, but you actually have to secure that job with that salary. It might be easier said than done. Just don't take it as a done deal (unless you currently have a job offer written in blood).
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:53 pm

Granted, though the salary Alan2005 mentioned is in the range the OP is expecting.

Although Vancouver has a reputation of being a lower wage city than Toronto (and probably deservedly so) there is a concentrated area in the downtown business district where the high flying businesses are located. And, consequently, the expensive service providers.

I know more about accounting salaries than IT but I know that an accounting role that would pay $70k in a suburban industrial area, or $80k in the rest of Vancouver would pay $125k at Burrard and Pender.
I have a desk in an office in that area of Vancouver (for a few more months at least). They develop software and such and the IT managers in the office earn up to about $90k; that's QA managers, dev managers etc who typically have teams of 5 to 10 people and have good domain knowledge. "IT manager" in the sense of somebody who runs a department responsible for the companies IT systems (networks, telephones, pc support etc) doesn't exist in this office so I don't know how much they would roughly make.

Obviously my sample size is one, but I've been told that these are the near the ends of the curve for the specific roles by people that should know. In UK terms I don't think these are bad salaries at all - $90k is something like £55k; which is well above what most people can expect to earn.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:24 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

That's about 25 minutes too long for me.

ps. it's the West Coast express not skytrain. It's kinda limited in when it goes and where it goes.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
ps. it's the West Coast express not skytrain. It's kinda limited in when it goes and where it goes.
It's a shit service.

It's stupid cos there are the tracks and the trains and a city that wants people to use public transport but they ignore this rather obvious avenue of expansion.

A study said it wasn't viable, probably due due to kick backs from the companies who will develop the evergreen line not wanting anyone to consider cheaper alternatives. Local governments are always corrupt like this - no exceptions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.