Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all
Default BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

We land on 7th March and are staying in Port Moody for two weeks checking out the following areas in BC :

Port Moody
Coquitlam
Port Coquitlam
Maple Ridge
Port Hammond
Pitt Meadows
Abbotsford
Chilliwack

Can any give opinions (preferably based on experience) of what they think of these areas. I have discovered none rank very high in moneysense best places to live in Canada so I am also considering the follow areas for future investigation in 2011.

Kingston
Fredericton
Calgary.

We are a family of five (children 14, 12 and 9) with me being the primary earner in IT management. in Canada seem to be around 85 - 110k a year for what I do, but OH is thinking of re-training in Veterinary care.

Any advice however honest is gratefully appriciated..

Last edited by canadian_bacon_boy; Feb 15th 2011 at 3:55 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Neighbourhoods or not BC at all!

port moody, coquitlam, and port coquitlam kind of function as one unit...they are called the Tri-Cities, have the same school district etc, though they are separate cities, you could never tell if you were driving around the area where one begins and the other ends. Have friends in the Lam/Port Moody and have worked in Port Coquitlam, it's ok, Poco is probably the cheapest of the three, but it's just that bit further to Van which is probably why.

Never heard of Port Hammond

Wouldn't live in Maple Ridge, the Pitt, Abby or Chilliwack because they are too far from Vancouver for me...but others will hopefully be along to talk about them.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
We land on 7th March and are staying in Port Moody for two weeks checking out the following areas in BC :

Port Moody
Coquitlam
Port Coquitlam
Maple Ridge
Port Hammond
Pitt Meadows
Abbotsford
Chilliwack

Can any give opinions (preferably based on experience) of what they think of these areas. I have discovered none rank very high in moneysense best places to live in Canada so I am also considering the follow areas for future investigation in 2011.

Kingston
Fredericton
Calgary.

We are a family of five (children 14, 12 and 9) with me being the primary earner in IT management. in Canada seem to be around 85 - 110k a year for what I do, but OH is thinking of re-training in Veterinary care.

I have no idea about the areas in B.C. but are you sure you know what you want? The other areas you have suggested are very different.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the other areas, I would suggest go where you can get a job, support your family and feed and clothe yourself. Simplistic, but oh so true.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:29 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, no kidding.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Port Moody
Coquitlam
Port Coquitlam
Maple Ridge
Port Hammond
Pitt Meadows
Abbotsford
Chilliwack

Kingston
Fredericton
Calgary.

You need to think about work and work location first. If you are working in downtown Vancouver, you won't want to be commuting from Abbotsford or Chilliwack that's for sure.

Personally, I like Port Moody. I think Port Coquitlam is a bit of a dump and Coquitlam is somewhere in between.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:11 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yeah, no kidding.
Sarcasm ?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We are a family of five (children 14, 12 and 9) with me being the primary earner in IT management. in Canada seem to be around 85 - 110k a year for what I do
In Vancouver?

but OH is thinking of re-training in Veterinary care.
Which would be a negative contribution to the household budget once the cost of working is considered.

I hope you have a wodge of cash.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

It depends where you're gonna be based for work. I would hate to commute from Abbotsford or Chilliwack to Vancouver, but I know people who do.

I've lived in Abbotsford for the last 2 years since arriving in Canada, but will shortly be moving to Chilliwack (most people do it the other way round). Abbotsford is ok, lots of very religious people around, little in the way of entertainment but seems quite family orientated. I live in a quiet area on the east side of Abbotsford and quite like it. I'm setting a business up in Chilliwack, hence the move. Chilliwack is much smaller than Abbotsford, there is less there, but it is developing rapidly.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Sarcasm ?
uh, no, just agreeing with you and the pp.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
uh, no, just agreeing with you and the pp.
I see.....carry on....
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

guardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really niceguardianx is just really nice

WHy not rent a place for a few months down town then you can go check out all of the places while looking into work... Its amazing how a place can look good on the net and not be what you expected when you get there - New Westminster for example

Also when you first arrive go meet loads of people, the more you talk the more you find out different ideas for the long term... I'm glad we didnt plan a move out in the burbs before we got here...
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

canadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to allcanadian_bacon_boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea about the areas in B.C. but are you sure you know what you want? The other areas you have suggested are very different.
We have a fairly good idea and found on recent trips that BC fitted the bill. Just that the moneysense report sent us a curve ball by ranking these places in BC so low and the others I mentioned (kingston et el) so highly.

We want a "not in the city" feel while being commutable to large companies in IT, business and comms.

I thought these 35-45 mins communities fit the bill. Just wanted opinions from people that live there.

Abbotsford and chilliwack are a little too far but just keeping my options broad
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brizzle
You need to think about work and work location first. If you are working in downtown Vancouver, you won't want to be commuting from Abbotsford or Chilliwack that's for sure.

Personally, I like Port Moody. I think Port Coquitlam is a bit of a dump and Coquitlam is somewhere in between.
Totally agree but hate living in city centres and as such looking at tri-cities and maple ridge first.

The area we are staying in in moody is beautiful but a house the size we need would be around 850'000 can$ which is a little too high.

Why do you think Poco is a dump, it seems nice from pics online.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Vancouver?

Which would be a negative contribution to the household budget once the cost of working is considered.

I hope you have a wodge of cash.

Yes downtown. Corporate end jobs are in that region for organisations such as KPMG and PwC.

Quite a negative view which I do not understand, but you do have the benefit of being there and having I assume to had real information. I unfortunately could only asuume and hence I need to ask. But what would be helpful is a reason why you think this so I can understand if I am miss-informed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.