Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone leave their pets behind?

Originally Posted by Katie76
Yeh, i'd agree too.

Whenever we go on holiday and a family member looks after our Siamese Kitty, I phone up and talk to him on the phone , seriously. My dad thinks i'm abit crazy but he says he does react after talking to me in Siam Kitty Language, he walks from room to room calling, wondering where I am.

That's nothing - my dad tells his dogs when he's going to the pub and how long he'll be, so they don't worry!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not true - any study of dog psychology will tell you that they never forget their owners. She sees you as her 'pack' and in dog terms, that's huge. A wild dog that is cast out from it's pack for whatever reason will normally not try to find another one, they would rather be alone and struggle to survive. There are well documented cases of dogs being reunited with original owners a decade after leaving them and instantly recognising them.

We have many instances of rescue dogs that have to be returned as they just can't get on with their new family (no matter how well they are being treated and 'fed and walked'), they simply won't accept them as a replacement pack for the one they have lost. I've seen many dogs pining for owners for months and months after they've come to us for rehoming for whatever reason. In extreme cases, they will pine to the point of death as they refuse to eat. In their eyes, they've lost their pack leader.

Your dog may learn to be happy elsewhere but she will definitely not 'soon forget you'.
I agree that they never forget their owners, but it doesn't mean they can't be happy with new ones. We are in regular contact (via email) with the new owners of our two dogs and they send us photos and let us know how they're getting along. We have no reason to assume they are lying when they tell us they have settled in well and are happy, as they certainly look it in the photos.

It is true that everyone's circumstances are different, and whilst there may be dogs who have experienced negative repercussions from being rehomed (maybe they were with the wrong people and their owners didn't check them out properly and were in a rush - which is inexcusable), it should not be inferred that anyone rehoming their dog is cruel or thoughtless. I'm not saying you are intentionally inferring this, it's just an assumption that may be drawn from your post.

Anita

Last edited by seanyg; Sep 26th 2008 at 11:37 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;6821091]Not true - any study of dog psychology will tell you that they never forget their owners. She sees you as her 'pack' and in dog terms, that's huge. A wild dog that is cast out from it's pack for whatever reason will normally not try to find another one, they would rather be alone and struggle to survive. There are well documented cases of dogs being reunited with original owners a decade after leaving them and instantly recognising them.

We have many instances of rescue dogs that have to be returned as they just can't get on with their new family (no matter how well they are being treated and 'fed and walked'), they simply won't accept them as a replacement pack for the one they have lost. I've seen many dogs pining for owners for months and months after they've come to us for rehoming for whatever reason. In extreme cases, they will pine to the point of death as they refuse to eat. In their eyes, they've lost their pack leader.

Personally i don't believe all that but then i have always been determined to remember she is a dog. Although she is a responsibility i took on when i had her i refuse to humanise her. I care about her and would not see any harm come to her, but will not get sucked into thinking i have to put her first above all else. This is why i have posted my thoughts in reference to the OP, as i feel it unfair of others to judge and in some cases be downright rude to her obvious torn feeling
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=JoolsGod;6822839]
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not true - any study of dog psychology will tell you that they never forget their owners. She sees you as her 'pack' and in dog terms, that's huge. A wild dog that is cast out from it's pack for whatever reason will normally not try to find another one, they would rather be alone and struggle to survive. There are well documented cases of dogs being reunited with original owners a decade after leaving them and instantly recognising them.

Personally i don't believe all that but then i have always been determined to remember she is a dog. Although she is a responsibility i took on when i had her i refuse to humanise her. I care about her and would not see any harm come to her, but will not get sucked into thinking i have to put her first above all else. This is why i have posted my thoughts in reference to the OP, as i feel it unfair of others to judge and in some cases be downright rude to her obvious torn feeling
I agree. Whilst these instances are very sad, it is not the case in the majority of rehomed dogs (and luckily not in our case either). You have to weigh up the pros and cons - will your dog be happy travelling a long-haul flight, then stuck in quarantine, then the change of climate, not to mention the cost and the fact that you will have to have somewhere that takes dogs available to rent straight away, etc etc.

Many people take their animals and make it work, and sometimes taking them can turn out to be the best thing for them (depending on circumstances). This wasn't the case for us though, and our dogs are happily rehomed and we are 200% happy with our decision