Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone leave their pets behind?

we are taking our 3 cats over at the cost of a grand och:curse:
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We will be taking our dog and two cats with us, regardless of cost, hassle, etc. The chickens will be staying though!

We volunteer for various rescues (foster home for three dog rescues etc) and we've seen it from the other side of the fence as it were. We've had numerous dogs traumatised by their owners leaving them to move abroad, it takes them months to get over it and to bond with new owners. I suspect cats are more resilient but dogs certainly (esp if they've been with owner since a pup) really do struggle - I'd rather put ours through the short term upset of a flight.

Plus there's no way our children would understand if their beloved pets didn't come with us so there is no choice for us.

When we're living in a shack because that's all we could find that would take us then I'll let you know!!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:05 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We will be taking our dog and two cats with us, regardless of cost, hassle, etc. The chickens will be staying though!

We volunteer for various rescues (foster home for three dog rescues etc) and we've seen it from the other side of the fence as it were. We've had numerous dogs traumatised by their owners leaving them to move abroad, it takes them months to get over it and to bond with new owners. I suspect cats are more resilient but dogs certainly (esp if they've been with owner since a pup) really do struggle - I'd rather put ours through the short term upset of a flight.

Plus there's no way our children would understand if their beloved pets didn't come with us so there is no choice for us.

When we're living in a shack because that's all we could find that would take us then I'll let you know!!
i am sorry not everyone looks at it this way, kids on oneside - pet on the other........you decide :curse:
We tried and tried to get a rental that would allow our dog in, tried all the rental agents, paper adverts etc etc
in the end we had to make that decision as a family, we also let the kids help as well, very upsetting for us as a family to let our baby go, but she is happy with her new family, settled very well, also we get email contact and webcam to see she is happy.
OK we have been lucky to find a good family, i would never leave a pet at a rescue centre, but if we didnt find her a home then the move would mean us living in a tent somewhere....not good when ur kids are young.

I AM happy with the decision we made regarding our pet and take my hat off to anyone else who does the same, takes guts
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

we know what you mean, it took us bloody ages to find a rental that would allow our cats, we were begining to think along the same way as you guys, but at the last moament we found a place, had to pay a heavy charge to do this though :curse:
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:28 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

We would never have left our 3 dogs behind , even with the eldest being 14 yrs old it was never an option to part her from us or our other dogs.

We were in the same position, couldn't find any rentals which took dogs so we kenneled them back in the UK until we brought our house and then they were flown over.

It wasn't all plain sailing, our youngest one was very stressed but within 24 hrs of being back with us he was back to his old self.

It cost about 5-6k in the long run but they have been part of our family for years
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Sophie L is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not alone,
We are hoping to get to Canada next year. We have already decided that we will not be taking our two dogs with us and explained to our kids. Its just just rentals its costs and stress for the animals. My dogs live outside and chances of finding a house with garden for them are even harder than finding a condo. I have a friend who took her dog with her and is renting a condo. Her dog id used to being inside but now that they both work full time its shut in a house all day. It doesn`t have its own yard to go out into. Is this not cruel for the animal. Mine would never live like that. As other people have mentioned it is a tough choice to make and not one that is taken lightly.
At the end of the day our dreams of getting to Canada came about a long time before our dogs and subsequently they didn`t feature in our plans. They came when we thought we would never get the opportunity. Things change and so do plans.
There is no right or wrong about taking your animals with you. You do what is best for you all. .

Sorry just realised I`ve posted all this and my daughter is still logged on. Kev and Katrina.

Last edited by Sophie L; Sep 2nd 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:37 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
With the exception of the 'Snake' which has special requirements. I can't understand anybody who would leave their dog or cat behind. To us they are part of the family, and yes it does create a few more issues finding rental accomodation, but look hard enough and you will find something. To abandon your pet because finding somewhere to rent is a little more difficult is a bit of a get out. So is the excuse that 'Its better for them'. I do however accept that there is a grey area where perhaps the pet is old or sick. We could never leave our dog or cat behind. They are part of our family and we are have made arrangements to take ours with us regardless of the inconvenience and cost this entails.

Cats and dogs are resilient animals and will soon get over the stress of the journey. We were quoted £479 for one cat with a pet travel company, but have decided to do it ourselves for £220. 'Air Canada' will allow a pet to go as excess baggage.
I did have to re home mine, and it wasn't because of the rent issue. They were not old or sick either, and yes they were a part of the family. Me and my cats
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sophie L
There is no right or wrong about taking your animals with you. You do what is best for you all. .

Sorry just realised I`ve posted all this and my daughter is still logged on. Kev and Katrina.
I agree with all the comments we either have to re home them or we don't, it's up to each individuals circumstances. I would have loved to have taken my cats but I couldn't and that hurt me so much. They are happy in their new home, which makes me happy too.

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Sep 2nd 2008 at 7:45 pm. Reason: adding an i
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:49 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most sensible advice that's been given on this thread is that it is up to the individual.

Yes, rentals are hard to find that would take a dog. Sometimes impossible. Yes it may be possible to temporarily rehome or to kennel the dog until you find a place or buy one. For some people it is not an option, whether for logistical or financial reasons.

Who are we to judge?

It's also true that it's worth discussing the problem with landlords, and offering to pay an extra monthly fee (quite common) and also undertaking to get the carpets cleaned on leaving ... that sort of thing. There will be some landlords (see earlier posts) who would not be swayed of course, and that I believe should be their right.

I think that advising people to just turn up with a pet, knowing full well that the owner didn't wish to have pets boarding at their property is at best dodgy ... actually just plain wrong IMHO.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I think the most sensible advice that's been given on this thread is that it is up to the individual.

Yes, rentals are hard to find that would take a dog. Sometimes impossible. Yes it may be possible to temporarily rehome or to kennel the dog until you find a place or buy one. For some people it is not an option, whether for logistical or financial reasons.

Who are we to judge?

It's also true that it's worth discussing the problem with landlords, and offering to pay an extra monthly fee (quite common) and also undertaking to get the carpets cleaned on leaving ... that sort of thing. There will be some landlords (see earlier posts) who would not be swayed of course, and that I believe should be their right.

I think that advising people to just turn up with a pet, knowing full well that the owner didn't wish to have pets boarding at their property is at best dodgy ... actually just plain wrong IMHO.
I agree totally, the best advice so far.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:06 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
ditto here too, its a personal decision and everybody's circumstances are different.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Sorry if my post upset anyone. We all have to live with our decisions, but for me, I stand by what I said. My Dog & Cat are part of my family and have been for over 12 years. Nothing would persuade me to leave them behind. I only have to see how happy they are when we come back from a short holiday. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Where there's a will, there's a way.
I have three cats and two horses. one cat will not get fit for fly. The other loves the out doors. The third is going and her I had since she was abandoned by her mom and I bottle fed her. She is the oldest and she will be coming over.

One horse is an ex racehorse and she has had a tough life. She has settled well where she is. She will stay. The other has gone cross europe with me and he settles where he is easily.

All my animals are on my parents farm and can stay there until I find suitable accommodation for bringing cat over. Horse will fly when I have PR.

They are my kids.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

keep looking for a property that takes your dog!!! im sure there will definatley be something.

we came here from new zealand and coulnd not bear to leave our cat behind.

exhaust all possibilities or your dog will hunt you down and make you pay!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I had to leave all my precious tortoises behind...it was heartbreaking...

We'd been keeping and breeding them for decades in the UK, but I was primarily a rehab'er. All but a few of my torts were originally Customs' seizures (from dealers attempting to smuggle illegal, wild caught tortoises into the UK pet trade) so we never actually owned any of the original rescue cases. They would always be property of the British government (even though we "fostered" them for many years and would never have had to part with them if we stayed in the UK.)

The only captive bred torts we had were our own hatchlings/juveniles, and they were a particularly sensitive species from Tunisia that really wouldn't have been suited to the climate here, so they all got rehomed to various experienced tortoise keepers before we left........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.