Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice
Question Anyone leave their pets behind?

I was wondering if anyone on this board had pets in the UK but decided not to take them to Canada when they immigrated?

I feel so awful typing this as I have a 6 year old Shetland Sheepdog that I love very much and have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I never thought this would even be up for discussion but I have been scouring the internet for rental accommodation and so much of it declines dogs, even small ones. I find that some of the areas we were looking at initially has absolutely nothing that accepts dogs, but they do have plenty of rental accommodations otherwise.

At the moment my dog is recovering from a torn cruciate ligament which is mending, albeit slowly, but the vet recently said if it doesn't get any better we may have to put him through surgery

We are hoping to leave the UK in June 09 and I am still planning on taking my dog with us but I am concerned that getting accommodation may prove to be very difficult, especially if we do end up going to a smaller location than Vancouver.

So I guess my question is did any of you leave your pets behind? Did anyone go back and forth on their decision? I never imagined that I would even consider this but I am also concerned about the duration of the flight for him, he has never experienced anything like it before.

Can someone please put my mind at ease and let me know if you all faced these difficulties when deciding to up sticks. I am just wanting some advice just in case.

Thanks

Summer
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:29 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone leave their pets behind?

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I was wondering if anyone on this board had pets in the UK but decided not to take them to Canada when they immigrated?

I feel so awful typing this as I have a 6 year old Shetland Sheepdog that I love very much and have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I never thought this would even be up for discussion but I have been scouring the internet for rental accommodation and so much of it declines dogs, even small ones. I find that some of the areas we were looking at initially has absolutely nothing that accepts dogs, but they do have plenty of rental accommodations otherwise.

At the moment my dog is recovering from a torn cruciate ligament which is mending, albeit slowly, but the vet recently said if it doesn't get any better we may have to put him through surgery

We are hoping to leave the UK in June 09 and I am still planning on taking my dog with us but I am concerned that getting accommodation may prove to be very difficult, especially if we do end up going to a smaller location than Vancouver.

So I guess my question is did any of you leave your pets behind? Did anyone go back and forth on their decision? I never imagined that I would even consider this but I am also concerned about the duration of the flight for him, he has never experienced anything like it before.

Can someone please put my mind at ease and let me know if you all faced these difficulties when deciding to up sticks. I am just wanting some advice just in case.

Thanks

Summer
Yes I have had to re home my two cats it was a very difficult and hard decision to make, I know I have done the right thing for them. Yes I went back and forth many times and really not sure what to do for a while, but in the end I knew what was best for them at that time.

See thread here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531033

All the best in what you decide to do, think about whats best for the dog....x
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Go to craigslist.com

chose the country and city you are moving to. go to housing.

Tic the box "cats ok" and "dogs ok"

That way you will find rentals that will accept dogs.

I am not accepting rentals that will not allow my cat to move in.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Summer
When you have a list of properties you like the look of, call them even if they say no pets. I have four cats, four kids, both can be unpopular with landlords, but I had great success when I actually called landlords and told them I was prepared to pay a deposit and could supply vet references etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Anita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really niceAnita100 is just really nice

Thanks

Summer
My dog is part of the family & it is not an option to leave him behind. Dogs fly all over the world, even to CRUFTS etc. just for the purpose of showing. Airlines have stringent policies for flying dogs and would not fly them if it was not safe. I am currently looking for rentals that take dogs and as YYZlover says you can tick the boxes "dogs okay" I have seen them available, though haven't approached any yet. I hope you decide to take him & find a suitable property
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I think it will depend on you and what you feel is best.
i have ended up re-homing my baby and still hurts weeks later.

i keep in contact with the lady who took her and i know that she is happy and settled, for us it was take any kind of rental that will accept kids and dogs or go for a cleaner rental and have no pets.

i know some expats that have taken pets and others who have re-homed them, its really down to each expat really.

Good luck with your decision
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i too had 3 dogs to take to canada with me and these dogs were huge....i looked into shipping them with me it would have cost me around 6-7k, at the time in our immigration and an unsold house in the uk i couldnt justfiy using money we could need in canada to live ...i also felt that for my dogs they would find the flights very distressing as they would have to fly twice due to connections...knowing my dogs i knew it was better for them to be rehomed..i made sure they all went to good homes and i keep in contact with the new owners...they are all very happy in there new lives...it was very difficult sending them to new homes cos i too had them from 8 weeks and they were about 18 months when i rehomed..it was like giving my kids away (they were my babies) but i had to think of them as well as my own personel circumstances....when we were looking for accomadation too we had a nightmare with landlords taking pets...especially 3 massive dogs..and i was afraid of my dogs doing damage to someone elses home..could cost a pretty penny and a very mad landlord
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:48 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep. It broke my heart, but I had to re-home my beautiful snake. (Not everyones cup of tea I know, but any reptile lovers out there will appreciate).

It is painstakingly difficult to find an airline OR an agency that will transport a reptile. Then there is the cost of that. Then there was the issue of where the snake would live when I get to Canada, I don't have anywhere to live myself! He needs a very specific mix of heat & humidity & they are extremely easily stressed.

So all that considered, I re-homed him to a lovely 'reptile' couple who love him for how awesome he is. If I had the money & the logistical ability to keep him with me, I'd have done it But only if the animal didn't suffer unduely.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Summer-Caitlin,

I can fully understand your situation and how difficult making this decision can be.

I know that most or not all rental accommodations say 'no pets'... I would recommend you do not disclose you have a pet.

A connected person in the know told me that it's actually discrimination and not allowed under Canadian Law. Rental agents / Landlords will get you to sign away all manor of things (in their interests) but most of them wouldn't stand up and under Canadian law would be considered unconstitutional.

The good thing with renting is the power and law is firmly placed towards the tenant - I know in the UK through experience tenants have very few rights and landlords rule.

If it is a silent landlord (like most apartments)... they are hardly going to find out you have a dog, if you were to disclose afterwards they might be a bit off but I can guarantee they will not throw you out - again, it's much more difficult for landlords to do this here and really not worth them trying.

I hope you'll be able to come over with pooch.

Ian and Dave.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Yep. It broke my heart, but I had to re-home my beautiful snake. (Not everyones cup of tea I know, but any reptile lovers out there will appreciate).

It is painstakingly difficult to find an airline OR an agency that will transport a reptile. Then there is the cost of that. Then there was the issue of where the snake would live when I get to Canada, I don't have anywhere to live myself! He needs a very specific mix of heat & humidity & they are extremely easily stressed.

So all that considered, I re-homed him to a lovely 'reptile' couple who love him for how awesome he is. If I had the money & the logistical ability to keep him with me, I'd have done it But only if the animal didn't suffer unduely.
With the exception of the 'Snake' which has special requirements. I can't understand anybody who would leave their dog or cat behind. To us they are part of the family, and yes it does create a few more issues finding rental accomodation, but look hard enough and you will find something. To abandon your pet because finding somewhere to rent is a little more difficult is a bit of a get out. So is the excuse that 'Its better for them'. I do however accept that there is a grey area where perhaps the pet is old or sick. We could never leave our dog or cat behind. They are part of our family and we are have made arrangements to take ours with us regardless of the inconvenience and cost this entails.

Cats and dogs are resilient animals and will soon get over the stress of the journey. We were quoted £479 for one cat with a pet travel company, but have decided to do it ourselves for £220. 'Air Canada' will allow a pet to go as excess baggage.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
If it is a silent landlord (like most apartments)... they are hardly going to find out you have a dog, if you were to disclose afterwards they might be a bit off but I can guarantee they will not throw you out - again, it's much more difficult for landlords to do this here and really not worth them trying.
Unless a neighbouring tenant complains?

How on earth can you give any sort of guarantee like that? I imposed a rule on my rental property that excluded pets, and when that rule was broken the tenant was given the choice to remove the dog, or themselves.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

A connected person in the know told me that it's actually discrimination and not allowed under Canadian Law. Rental agents / Landlords will get you to sign away all manor of things (in their interests) but most of them wouldn't stand up and under Canadian law would be considered unconstitutional.

The good thing with renting is the power and law is firmly placed towards the tenant - I know in the UK through experience tenants have very few rights and landlords rule.
I have heard very similar things from rental agents and realtors in Canada. The only thing is that the landlord can turn you down in your application and simply say someone else was a better tennant. But as far as I have been told, they can't throw you out for having a pet as long as you stick within the number of animals allowed per household.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

How on earth can you give any sort of guarantee like that? I imposed a rule on my rental property that excluded pets, and when that rule was broken the tenant was given the choice to remove the dog, or themselves.

Nice!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:44 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
With the exception of the 'Snake' which has special requirements. I can't understand anybody who would leave their dog or cat behind. To us they are part of the family, and yes it does create a few more issues finding rental accomodation, but look hard enough and you will find something. To abandon your pet because finding somewhere to rent is a little more difficult is a bit of a get out. So is the excuse that 'Its better for them'. I do however accept that there is a grey area where perhaps the pet is old or sick. We could never leave our dog or cat behind. They are part of our family and we are have made arrangements to take ours with us regardless of the inconvenience and cost this entails.

Cats and dogs are resilient animals and will soon get over the stress of the journey. We were quoted £479 for one cat with a pet travel company, but have decided to do it ourselves for £220. 'Air Canada' will allow a pet to go as excess baggage.

Hi there, I really do disagree that its a get out leaving your pets behind, it's the hardest desicion that we will ever make we have a dog, 3 cats, 14 chickens, 1 rabbit and a guinea pig. We have decided to leave all of the animals but 1 cat because of the financial inplications of taking them obviously we woudn't take the chickens and the rabbit and guinea pig, the chickens are staying put the new house owners are kindly going to take care of them, but we realistically couldn't afford to take them all. The dog is going to live next door with our fab neighbours, he goes shooting so our Lab will be perfect for them they adore him and we know that they will love him as much as we do, so please please don't imply that we are using this as a ger out because we are not!! I'm sure that as a pet owner you will understand how difficult it is going to be for all of us!!
Bella
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!
Do you think I'm harsh enforcing a rule like that? My property, my rules I'm afraid.

The nature of my business and property is such that dogs are discouraged from the premises, they're potentially dangerous and put my clients at risk. My public liability insurance is already plenty expensive enough, so rules are in place to keep everyone safe and happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.