Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Anyone leave their pets behind?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone leave their pets behind?

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
we are taking our 3 cats over at the cost of a grand och:curse:
I am returning to the UK. It has occurred to me that it is going to cost me more to ship my cat than it is my wife. Still, I suppose it is a question of priorities. A good cat is hard to find.

In this age of Internet dating.......

Last edited by johnh009; Sep 3rd 2008 at 3:45 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

I had no idea that this thread would receive so much response.

I am very grateful to the responses posted, all are welcomed!

I have absolutely no intention of not trying to find suitable accommodations for my husband, myself and my dog. I just seem to be coming up against brick walls on the rental front.

As we have not yet confirmed whether it will be North Vancouver or Nelson/Castlegar (don't even ask why the huge difference, another topic completely) I have noticed there are no rentals in Nelson/Castlegar (so far) that accept dogs. There are hardly any rentals to begin with in all honesty.

In North Vancouver there are plenty of rentals, although I am trying to find ones close to Capilano University, but even using Craigs List, local newspapers, online searches etc, I have found maybe 2 or 3 in our budget that accepts dogs, but are way out of the area.

I would easily pay extra in advance as a deposit and I would cover any damage (not that he would do any). I just want a comfortable rental, within our budget that accepts dogs, I'm not asking for the moon! I will also be a student in Canada so our income will be limited.

I love my dog to pieces and I am going to go down every avenue to try and make sure he can come with us. I am curious though, to those that say it's not up for negotiation, would you have stayed in the UK if you couldn't take your pet with you?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

if you are interested i can pm you who we used to find our vacation home, you might of already tried them but it might be worth a go
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

if i were you i would dress your dog up as a very hairy person and just get him an lmo and work permit. he will pass for a glaswegian welder no probs!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
if i were you i would dress your dog up as a very hairy person and just get him an lmo and work permit. he will pass for a glaswegian welder no probs!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

if you are interested i can pm you who we used to find our vacation home, you might of already tried them but it might be worth a go
Thanks for the offer, do they search in the areas I am looking at? I know we still have 10 months to go (depending on house sale) is it too early to contact anyone?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

you put in your requirements its only a house rental site
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

you put in your requirements its only a house rental site
Sounds great, can you PM me the details?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:56 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
Sounds great, can you PM me the details?
I guess also the situation with you is that you can take the dog, it's just the accommodation your having a problem with. So with that I guess keep looking you'll find a place soon, you still have loads of time. I wasn't able to take mine unfortunately and wish I was able to.

"There is the will but not always the way'

x

All the best
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

nursey16969 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have come up with a simple solution, we are going to buy an RV and live in that in the short term. Not ideal but as we want an RV for holidays and extra living space athime for visitors, then it will be money well spent. Even buyin 1 second had from ebay will get you a good re-sale value when you want to buy a house and will not just be wasted rent to someone you dont know. and the Canadian RV parks can be very good from what we have seen. I would not give up my cats for anything and if this is the only option then it is one that we are prepared to take - lets face it I woul be lynched if I re homed my 10 yr old daughter,cause I couldnt get a rental home that took children. Our cats are as much of our lives as our daughter.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

We came out 8 years ago - and left our 2 cats behind. A work collegue who lives on a farm had them, and although it was a very hard thing to do, it was the right choice for us. We knew who had them and where they were going and got regular updates.
We looked into bringing them over, but several reasons made our minds up.
The cost. The financial position we were in didn't stretch to it.
Most important thing. Knowing our cats. They hated even a 10 minute drive to the vets - so how could we put them through a 2 hour drive to the airport - a wait - Manchester to Vancouver flight - more drive - 90 min ferry to the Island... Couldn't do it.
Also, we knew where we were staying for the first week, but after that... we were on our own, so with that time scale and pressure, cats would make it even more stressful.
As hard as it was, it was right for us.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Anyone leave their pets behind?

Oh My God - which of your children are you leaving behind? exactly you wouldnt would you? A dog is the same commitment as a child except it will never grow up and never leave home you are responsible for its food, health, cleanliness, and ultimatley its whole being, what on earth are you planning to do with the poor creature dump it in kennels for adoption which given its age and recent health problems is tantamount to a life in a cage
My advice stay in the UK and make good the promise you made the dog when you bought it - the one where you care for it for life!

Last edited by moosey2canada; Sep 25th 2008 at 8:58 pm. Reason: poor spelling
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

We decided to not bring our 3 cats with us for a variety of reasons. One was quite elderly, and I suspect that she wouldn't have adapted well. The other 2 were partially outdoor cats, used to being in the countryside and hunting. As we were planning on living in Calgary where cats have to be kept in, we felt it wouldn't be fair to bring them over.

Also I felt that the long flight, plus several weeks of being in kennels (we flew 3 weeks after we completed on the house and stayed in holiday cottage during those 3 weeks) would again be distressing to them.

Cost of transporting them or difficulty in finding somewhere to live wasn't a factor in the descision - it was simply that we felt that uprooting them, subjecting them to a long flight, lots of time in kennels and then having to keep them indoors when they were used to being out would be more distressing for them than rehoming them.

We didn't just "abandon" them either - we found them a good home - with one of our neighbours who offered to have them.

It was sad, upsetting even, but I think it was the best thing to do for my cats.

Last edited by LotteW; Sep 25th 2008 at 9:11 pm. Reason: fixed dodgy spelling
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I was wondering if anyone on this board had pets in the UK but decided not to take them to Canada when they immigrated?

I feel so awful typing this as I have a 6 year old Shetland Sheepdog that I love very much and have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I never thought this would even be up for discussion but I have been scouring the internet for rental accommodation and so much of it declines dogs, even small ones. I find that some of the areas we were looking at initially has absolutely nothing that accepts dogs, but they do have plenty of rental accommodations otherwise.

At the moment my dog is recovering from a torn cruciate ligament which is mending, albeit slowly, but the vet recently said if it doesn't get any better we may have to put him through surgery

We are hoping to leave the UK in June 09 and I am still planning on taking my dog with us but I am concerned that getting accommodation may prove to be very difficult, especially if we do end up going to a smaller location than Vancouver.

So I guess my question is did any of you leave your pets behind? Did anyone go back and forth on their decision? I never imagined that I would even consider this but I am also concerned about the duration of the flight for him, he has never experienced anything like it before.

Can someone please put my mind at ease and let me know if you all faced these difficulties when deciding to up sticks. I am just wanting some advice just in case.

Thanks

Summer
Hi Summer,

we also have a Shetland Sheepdog - he`s almost 8 now, unfortunatly we have made the decision NOT to take him with us for various reasons, however my parents may be able to have him, if OR when we ever get to Canada? So, for us as a family this would be ideal knowing our fluff ball was with people who he knows and has stayed with several times in the past due to holidays etc.
I have grown up with Sheltie`s, so I know what loving and faithfull dogs they are, but the decision has to be right for you and the dog. When we bought our "flufff ball" the breeder asked us to sign a document in the event that, at any time we should be unable to look after the dog, then we would return him to her to find suitable re-homing. I think breeders of Sheltie`s are a "tight-knit" community, so if all else fails try contacting the breeder to which you bought your Sheltie from - I would hazzard a guess they would re-home him for you, if you couldn`t find someone yourself in time?

Just a thought, best to explore avenues?

Good luck
Sue
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
Oh My God - which of your children are you leaving behind? exactly you wouldnt would you? A dog is the same commitment as a child except it will never grow up and never leave home you are responsible for its food, health, cleanliness, and ultimatley its whole being, what on earth are you planning to do with the poor creature dump it in kennels for adoption which given its age and recent health problems is tantamount to a life in a cage
My advice stay in the UK and make good the promise you made the dog when you bought it - the one where you care for it for life!
We are hoping to go to Canada at some stage in the future and i will not be taking my dog with us.

We can all at times humanise dogs as they are loving, faithful animals but at the end of the day that is what they are - animals! You cannot put them in the same category as children, that is obscene!

I would bend over backwards to ensure my dog was rehoused into another loving home and i do not believe that it would affect her that much as long as she is being fed and walked she won't care and will soon forget us. They do not think like us, they are not human!

Aside from that, take her a mile in the car and she pukes her guts up so travelling to an airport and then a long flight would be totally impractical. It is down to the individual as someone else has said and i feel no guilt at all with my decision when it comes to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.