British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

R I C H Jan 27th 2016 5:23 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849563)
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

:lol:

I left high school in 1988, worked in a grocery store for 8 months (often 60+hrs per week), saved every penny I could, purchased a flight and picked up work as I needed to. I had a daily budget of $20 for food/accommodation and entertainment to last me 4 months before work was an absolute necessity.

Nobody fit enough is too old to travel.

Jsmth321 Jan 27th 2016 5:41 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11849572)
I left high school in 1988, worked in a grocery store for 8 months (often 60+hrs per week), saved every penny I could, purchased a flight and picked up work as I needed to. I had a daily budget of $20 for food/accommodation and entertainment to last me 4 months before work was an absolute necessity.

Nobody fit enough is too old to travel.

I worked 60 hours a week at 20, it was the only way I could get the time off I needed to travel. I only got 10 days off per year. I'd work for others so they would work for me. I doubt I would have been able to do the travel though if I had to pay for airline flights, but luckily I didn't and could just hop on any plane with open seats.

I had no issues with the travel I did in my 20's, just wish I had done more oversea's travel. But I spent the 5 years doing a lot of North America travel, well US and Mexico, never had the desire at the time to visit Canada.


Now I would travel if possible, health-wise it is, but financially it's not doable. Don't have the flexibility of a young person.

Siouxie Jan 27th 2016 7:41 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849581)
I worked 60 hours a week at 20, it was the only way I could get the time off I needed to travel. I only got 10 days off per year. I'd work for others so they would work for me. I doubt I would have been able to do the travel though if I had to pay for airline flights, but luckily I didn't and could just hop on any plane with open seats.

I had no issues with the travel I did in my 20's, just wish I had done more oversea's travel. But I spent the 5 years doing a lot of North America travel, well US and Mexico, never had the desire at the time to visit Canada.


Now I would travel if possible, health-wise it is, but financially it's not doable. Don't have the flexibility of a young person.

My sister who lives in the UK lives on a basic state pension of around $210 a week.

She doesn't have much disposable income but eakes out what she does have by buying clothes in charity shops and getting her groceries later in the day when they go on sale. She has always wanted to travel but her career and children meant she wasn't able to - but she's certainly making up for lost time!

She has saved for nearly 2 years to enable her to take a 6 week trip (2 for the price of 1) on a cruise ship to South America, taking in Amsterdam, Portugal, Funchal, Mindelo, Brazil with a side trip up the Amazon lasting 5 days, French Guiana, St, Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Barbados then back to Portugal and to the UK.

She's 68 this year. For her, it's a trip of a lifetime which will never be repeated.

It's never too late to travel.. and where there's a will, there's a way!

:)

MarylandNed Jan 27th 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849094)
I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.

I have worked in the UK, Canada and the US. I now work in the US for a large global company on a project that has colleagues from all 3 countries. I see the same thing you describe above in the US. Everyone tries to gloss over work-related problems and spin them in a positive light. No-one wants to offend co-workers. When we have conference calls with our colleagues in the UK, the honesty, humour (there is none in the US btw) and sarcasm is refreshing to me but makes the US/Canada team members a bit uncomfortable.

Former Lancastrian Jan 27th 2016 4:18 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

Pizzawheel Jan 27th 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11850121)
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

You forgot the CFL. Canada leads the world in that sport though the USA got close in the 90s.

Aurora66 Jan 27th 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Hi Haylee,

Oh my gosh! I totally agree with you! I am a Brit who moved here 21/2 years ago. We live in B.C. and it is the most bland, boring place ever. Sorry again to offend anyone but it is just my opinon. The country is without culture, without colourful people for the most part, very grey. It is virtually impossible to have an interesting conversation with anyone or to find anyone who knows or cares what is going on in the world. Is is also way too expensive to live here. It doesn't help that CIC and the immigration process is as backward and inefficient as they can possibly be, charging candidates repeatedly for their backlogs and incompetence. But I wish so much we had stayed in the UK, because Canada is nothing like I thought it would be. And if I could afford to do it, we would go back home. I totally agree with people who might be saying right now to themselves, "well if you don't like it you should go back". But I am stuck here, unable to work, because CIC have been completely shambolic with my pr application, losing documents and asking for more and more fees and the lack of communication is staggering.
We gave it a really good go, we walked the line with CIC and we have got involved in our community, but in hindsight, I wish we hadn't bothered. Not really worth it at all. Just think twice before taking all the time and money to come here.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 5:06 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Aurora66 (Post 11850148)

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Hi Haylee,

Oh my gosh! I totally agree with you! I am a Brit who moved here 21/2 years ago. We live in B.C. and it is the most bland, boring place ever. Sorry again to offend anyone but it is just my opinon. The country is without culture, without colourful people for the most part, very grey. It is virtually impossible to have an interesting conversation with anyone or to find anyone who knows or cares what is going on in the world. Is is also way too expensive to live here. It doesn't help that CIC and the immigration process is as backward and inefficient as they can possibly be, charging candidates repeatedly for their backlogs and incompetence. But I wish so much we had stayed in the UK, because Canada is nothing like I thought it would be. And if I could afford to do it, we would go back home. I totally agree with people who might be saying right now to themselves, "well if you don't like it you should go back". But I am stuck here, unable to work, because CIC have been completely shambolic with my pr application, losing documents and asking for more and more fees and the lack of communication is staggering.
We gave it a really good go, we walked the line with CIC and we have got involved in our community, but in hindsight, I wish we hadn't bothered. Not really worth it at all. Just think twice before taking all the time and money to come here.

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

Cyan Jan 27th 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
I was disappointed in my first 12 months.....the place was like a larger version of Belgium - everyone's heard of it but not sure what it stands for. And if you're used to quick witted sarcastic banter in London, you'll find Canadians can be slow to talk and action.

But I made my peace with my new land, and after buying my first house here which was palatial by UK standards and getting to like the laid back lifestyle, I started appreciating things more. I think it's a great place to bring up kids.

If I ever need a Brit fix, well London is only a 7 hour flight away, and I've got YouTube, and Arsenal on Saturday mornings....

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Whenever I discuss politics with the locals it always ends up with racist moans about immigrants or first nations people:unsure:

Siouxie Jan 27th 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850190)

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

:goodpost:

+1

Souvy Jan 27th 2016 5:23 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11850121)
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

I guess you don't follow hockey. The Canadian teams are shite at the moment.

There is a famous hockey player called Gordy Howe. He has given his name to the "Gordy Howe hat trick" (a goal, an assist and a fight in the same game).

I can see a new version of this coming up. The "Montreal Flop". This would apply to a team that manages to be both top and bottom of the league during the same season. The Habs are certainly heading that way.

Partially discharged Jan 27th 2016 5:31 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850190)

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

Totally agree with what you say. To complain that Canada is boring and grey and devoid of culture is a bit rich from somebody who came from a country where Lowry and Morrissey were celebrated on a cultural level.

I have met people like the BC resident has mentioned here in Canada but I tend to avoid a lot of contact with them and seek out more interesting and worldly people/places.

There are insular people in the UK as well..ie. those who only run shops for 'locals'.


dbd33 Jan 27th 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11850216)
Totally agree with what you say. To complain that Canada is boring and grey and devoid of culture is a bit rich from somebody who came from a country where Lowry and Morrissey were celebrated on a cultural level.

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

It's a universal sentiment speaking to the human condition, it addresses the immediate concerns of the factory folk who's prospects in life are best expressed by making them thin almost to the point of vanishing. Besides, Manchester hardly represents the entire United Kingdom.

By contrast, we have

"The glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!"

which is hypocritical gibberish and we have pictures of rocks and we have songs about cod.

Partially discharged Jan 27th 2016 6:05 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11850265)
. Besides, Manchester hardly represents the entire United Kingdom.

By contrast, we have

"The glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!"

which is hypocritical gibberish and we have pictures of rocks and we have songs about cod.

You wouldn't happen to be from south of the Watford Gap would you????

I recognized the glittering prizes quote (urgh..I'll need some brain bleech now).

You could use these lyrics the next time somebody is wanting a recommendation on which is better...Milton or Bramalea or Milliken

In the basement bars,In the backs of cars,Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:11 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.