British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 5:01 pm

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.

Siouxie Jan 26th 2016 5:07 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.

Hello and welcome to BE :)

Have you considered perhaps moving to a different City or area? Perhaps it's the people you have met, rather than Canada as a whole...

:)

not2old Jan 26th 2016 5:10 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

Have you booked your ticket yet?

dbd33 Jan 26th 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I think this is accurate and I don't think it's a criticism, there's something to be said for a place where nothing happens. It's safe and you know that, in 20 or 30 years, it'll be the same as it was before. On a personal level moving to Canada may feel like getting off the fast track but, if you're zenned by nature or by herbal assistance, the mellowness of it all can be nice.

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11848992)
Hello and welcome to BE :)

Have you considered perhaps moving to a different City or area? Perhaps it's the people you have met, rather than Canada as a whole...

:)


I don't really want to move elsewhere, I like big cities and I have heard from other expacts that Vancouver has no night life and other cities are similar too. All of the friends I have made here are European and they are all leaving too, one by one

dbd33 Jan 26th 2016 5:21 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849007)
All of the friends I have made here are European and they are all leaving too, one by one

That's true of almost everyone I've known over many years here, they've all gone home or onward, but I don't know that it's anything remarkable about Toronto. If you were in Berlin or Earl's Court or Bangui or anywhere else with a large transient/new immigrant population then I suspect you'd find the same thing. If there were more cradles and if we communicated with them it might seem different but that ship has long sailed.

Siouxie Jan 26th 2016 5:25 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849007)
I don't really want to move elsewhere, I like big cities and I have heard from other expacts that Vancouver has no night life and other cities are similar too. All of the friends I have made here are European and they are all leaving too, one by one

Fair enough - there are other cities than Vancouver and Toronto though, lol, though lack of nightlife is not something I have come across - depends on what you want I suppose!

Best of luck with your move.

:)

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...al_Quebec.html
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...o_Ontario.html

Oink Jan 26th 2016 5:26 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.

Welcome to Canada. We do try and warn people but we get accused of pissing on people's dreams.


Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849007)
I don't really want to move elsewhere, I like big cities and I have heard from other expacts that Vancouver has no night life and other cities are similar too. All of the friends I have made here are European and they are all leaving too, one by one

If you find Toronto dull you'd shoot yourself in Vancouver.

Pulaski Jan 26th 2016 5:37 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
"Same $4!t, different bucket", is a phrase that gets thrown around a fair bit on BE, in the forums for several different countries. I really don't agree in most cases, but it doesn't matter which country/ city you relocate to around the world, if you don't do your due diligence before you decide where to go, you may easily find that your life is no better than where you came from, and could easily be worse. :(

You need to look very closely at what is important to you and if you go chasing those particular things, what price you might have to pay in either cash or loss of other amenities. ..... For example if gourmet dining and high theatre are important to you, there are very few places in North America that will give you what you're looking for.

And despite much talk about globalization, it comes as a shock to some people that there isn't a massive difference in the cost of living anywhere in the industrialized world. Taxes may be lower in some places, and houses larger, but schools and roads still have to be paid for, as well as hospitals and healthcare, so low taxes are often offset by direct fees and the cost of private insurance.

not2old Jan 26th 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849007)
I don't really want to move elsewhere, I like big cities and I have heard from other expacts that Vancouver has no night life and other cities are similar too. All of the friends I have made here are European and they are all leaving too, one by one

What made you come to Canada in the first place?

When are you going back to the UK?

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 5:47 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11849039)
"Same $4!t, different bucket", is a phrase that gets thrown around a fair bit on BE, in the forums for several different countries. I really don't agree in most cases, but it doesn't matter which country/ city you relocate to around the world, if you don't do your due diligence before you decide where to go, you may easily find that your life is no better than where you came from, and could easily be worse. :(

You need to look very closely at what is important to you and if you go chasing those particular things, what price you might have to pay in either cash or loss of other amenities. ..... For example if gourmet dining and high theatre are important to you, there are very few places in North America that will give you what you're looking for.

And despite much talk about globalization, it comes as a shock to some people that there isn't a massive difference in the cost of living anywhere in the industrialized world. Taxes may be lower in some places, and houses larger, but schools and roads still have to be paid for, as well as hospitals and healthcare, so low taxes are often offset by direct fees and the cost of private insurance.

I don't agree, I think financially Toronto is million times more affordable than London.

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11849044)
What made you come to Canada in the first place?

When are you going back to the UK?

Maybe it's silly but I just wanted a change and an adventure, I love the US and I thought Canada would be like USA, it's nothing like it. But I honestly didn't think that I would dislike it so much, I have put so much effort into wanting to like it.

I will move back in August.

Oink Jan 26th 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11849039)
"Same $4!t, different bucket", is a phrase that gets thrown around a fair bit on BE, in the forums for several different countries. I really don't agree in most cases, but it doesn't matter which country/ city you relocate to around the world, if you don't do your due diligence before you decide where to go, you may easily find that your life is no better than where you came from, and could easily be worse. :(

You need to look very closely at what is important to you and if you go chasing those particular things, what price you might have to pay in either cash or loss of other amenities. ..... For example if gourmet dining and high theatre are important to you, there are very few places in North America that will give you what you're looking for.

And despite much talk about globalization, it comes as a shock to some people that there isn't a massive difference in the cost of living anywhere in the industrialized world. Taxes may be lower in some places, and houses larger, but schools and roads still have to be paid for, as well as hospitals and healthcare, so low taxes are often offset by direct fees and the cost of private insurance.

You'd kind of expect that in a country's major city. Canada has to be one the most dull and uninspiring cultures ever invented. I had the misfortune of having to teach courses in a MA program that had both US and Canadian students. The Americans pissed all over the Canadians when it came to depth of knowledge, creativity and willingness to work hard. The one thing they excelled at was moaning about having to do any work.

not2old Jan 26th 2016 5:58 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849055)
Maybe it's silly but I just wanted a change and an adventure, I love the US and I thought Canada would be like USA, it's nothing like it. But I honestly didn't think that I would dislike it so much, I have put so much effort into wanting to like it.

I will move back in August.

Why wait till August?

Presumably you are young enough to go 'back home to the UK' & if its not the place for you, then there are other places.

Our youngest at 29 (with no ties now) is on the move, 'itchy feet' she calls it.

She is going down the road of doing a 'working holiday visa' (WHV) to Australia, see & spend some time in NZ while down under, then she plans to move onto Malta, the UK, then goodness knows what.

Our question to her 'are you planning on settling down ever' - her response 'who knows what 2 years from now will look like'
.

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11849064)
Why wait till August?

Presumably you are young enough to go 'back home to the UK' & if its not the place for you, then there are other places.

Our youngest at 29 (with no ties now) is on the move, 'itchy feet' she calls it.

She is going down the road of doing a 'working holiday visa' (WHV) to Australia, see & spend some time in NZ while down under, then she plans to move onto Malta, the UK, then goodness knows what.

Our question to her 'are you planning on settling down ever' - her response 'who knows what 2 years from now will look like'
.


I'm 32 and my parents are dead, I don't have family to go and stay with. I have to wait for my condo lease to expire, sell up and September is better to start looking for a job in London than other months.

magnumpi Jan 26th 2016 6:17 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.

No one talking politics, no young energetic folk running around, quiet family living, passive lifestyle no over achievers wow I wanna live there !!! Oh hold on I do ;)

Haylee32 Jan 26th 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11849059)
You'd kind of expect that in a country's major city. Canada has to be one the most dull and uninspiring cultures ever invented. I had the misfortune of having to teach courses in a MA program that had both US and Canadian students. The Americans pissed all over the Canadians when it came to depth of knowledge, creativity and willingness to work hard. The one thing they excelled at was moaning about having to do any work.

I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.

Pulaski Jan 26th 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849053)
I don't agree, I think financially Toronto is million times more affordable than London.

I agree, I used to live in London myself, but you could address that very high cost of living within the UK, by moving to the north or far west. You don't need to move overseas to reduce your cost of living, but my point was more directed to those who think they can leave a town in the UK far from London and move to Canada, the US, Australia, NZ, etc. and necessarily slash their cost of living. They can't.

Anyway as you yourself have discovered, you found a price you had to pay albeit a non-financial price. And that was at the heart of my post above - if you go overseas looking for one thing alone, such as a lower cost of living, you might find that other aspects of your "new life" become extremely disappointing. :(

Oink Jan 26th 2016 6:25 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849094)
I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.

It'd be tolerable if they understood and were honest about their shortcomings but they seem to have built up a myth about how great they are that has no bearing on reality. The best they can really come up with is to point out the occasional Canadian in the film or entertainment industry. "Oooh look, he/she's Canadian eh?" :rofl:

ChrisBan Jan 26th 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Toronto great for quiet family living? Have I missed something?

dbd33 Jan 26th 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11849121)
Toronto great for quiet family living? Have I missed something?

You may dozed off. Are you in Toronto?

Jsmth321 Jan 26th 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Not being the US seems to be the biggest accomplishment in many Canadian eyes. Lol


Once you accept and realize Canada isnt the same as whatever country your from its a more tolerable place.

With such a small population over such a huge land mass, Canada just wont have the same offerings.




Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11849098)
It'd be tolerable if they understood and were honest about their shortcomings but they seem to have built up a myth about how great they are that has no bearing on reality. The best they can really come up with is to point out the occasional Canadian in the film or entertainment industry. "Oooh look, he/she's Canadian eh?" :rofl:


not2old Jan 26th 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849202)


Once you accept and realize Canada isnt the same as whatever country your from its a more tolerable place.

With such a small population over such a huge land mass, Canada just wont have the same offerings.

there are choices, from Monaco or Mongolia

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...lation_density

Jsmth321 Jan 26th 2016 9:32 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
I wasnt talking population density. I was talking of physical size of the country of which Canada is 2nd largest in the world by size but with a small population spread over a huge distance.








Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11849229)
there are choices, from Monaco or Mongolia

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...lation_density


BristolUK Jan 26th 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11849229)
...Monaco or Mongolia...

Monaco please.

JamesM Jan 26th 2016 11:05 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849053)
I don't agree, I think financially Toronto is million times more affordable than London.

It depends on ones profession.

Restaurants, fuel and property are cheaper than in London.

Alcohol not so.

But I know in my profession I could earn in pounds what people want to pay me here in dollars.

What terrifies me about moving back to London is getting on the tube during rush hour again, long commutes and having to elbow my way to get served at the bar.

That being said I also golf and snowboard a lot here. In London I'd get drunk, eat out and be a much fatter human being.

You seem to have given the place a decent stint and certainly there is more work opportunities in London if that is more important.

I'd actually prefer to have a family in England. Mainly because in England commuter towns have a bit more to them than they do in Canada and your children are more exposed to the realities of the world.

Piff Poff Jan 27th 2016 2:29 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
My daughter is 21. We are encouraging her to travel. I see her at 21 and compare what she is doing to what I was doing at that age - She needs to go and experience some life. Thankfully she wants to travel! Admittedly we do live in Red Deer so o comparison to Toronto, but there is nothing here for young adults apart from early marriage and babies and getting nails done. YAWN.

Jsmth321 Jan 27th 2016 2:35 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 11849500)
My daughter is 21. We are encouraging her to travel. I see her at 21 and compare what she is doing to what I was doing at that age - She needs to go and experience some life. Thankfully she wants to travel! Admittedly we do live in Red Deer so o comparison to Toronto, but there is nothing here for young adults apart from early marriage and babies and getting nails done. YAWN.

I did a fair amount of travel in my early 20's, but wish I had done more, mostly more out of North America travel.

That said I got to fly free or nearly free, had it not been for that would have been impossible to travel due to high cost.

I think many young people would like to travel more then they do, they just lack the funds to leave this continent and such.

I haven't figured out if UK and Australian youth are better off money wise, or if they are just all wealthy vs their Canadian and US counterparts.




Canada has grown on me, I actually feel odd when in San Diego now, the amount of people, the faster pace of life seems odd to me now.....lol...But there is still a lot I do miss about home that just isn't possible here, but such is life. Life is a compromise if you don't want to spend it alone.

R I C H Jan 27th 2016 4:10 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849507)
I did a fair amount of travel in my early 20's, but wish I had done more, mostly more out of North America travel.

That said I got to fly free or nearly free, had it not been for that would have been impossible to travel due to high cost.

I think many young people would like to travel more then they do, they just lack the funds to leave this continent and such.

I haven't figured out if UK and Australian youth are better off money wise, or if they are just all wealthy vs their Canadian and US counterparts.

From my experience of global travelling in my late teens and early 20's, and more recently as an employer of similarly aged individuals (mostly Aussies, Kiwis, and Europeans), I wouldn't say US counterparts aren't any less well off at all. They generally appear more insular (less adventurous) and reluctant to make the commitment (lifestyle compromises) that travel/work require at that age.

The vast majority that I employ live hand to mouth each month, save a little to fund experiences and further travel they have ambition for. All the Americans I've employed have been funded by the bank of Mum and Dad, live in expensive slope-side condos for the season and appear far more privileged.

Jsmth321 Jan 27th 2016 4:17 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11849559)
From my experience of global travelling in my late teens and early 20's, and more recently as an employer of similarly aged individuals (mostly Aussies, Kiwis, and Europeans), I wouldn't say US counterparts aren't any less well off at all. They generally appear more insular (less adventurous) and reluctant to make the commitment (lifestyle compromises) that travel/work require at that age.

The vast majority that I employ live hand to mouth each month, save a little to fund experiences and further travel they have ambition for. All the Americans I've employed have been funded by the bank of Mum and Dad, live in expensive slope-side condos for the season and appear far more privileged.

I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

:lol:

R I C H Jan 27th 2016 4:23 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849563)
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

:lol:

I left high school in 1988, worked in a grocery store for 8 months (often 60+hrs per week), saved every penny I could, purchased a flight and picked up work as I needed to. I had a daily budget of $20 for food/accommodation and entertainment to last me 4 months before work was an absolute necessity.

Nobody fit enough is too old to travel.

Jsmth321 Jan 27th 2016 4:41 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11849572)
I left high school in 1988, worked in a grocery store for 8 months (often 60+hrs per week), saved every penny I could, purchased a flight and picked up work as I needed to. I had a daily budget of $20 for food/accommodation and entertainment to last me 4 months before work was an absolute necessity.

Nobody fit enough is too old to travel.

I worked 60 hours a week at 20, it was the only way I could get the time off I needed to travel. I only got 10 days off per year. I'd work for others so they would work for me. I doubt I would have been able to do the travel though if I had to pay for airline flights, but luckily I didn't and could just hop on any plane with open seats.

I had no issues with the travel I did in my 20's, just wish I had done more oversea's travel. But I spent the 5 years doing a lot of North America travel, well US and Mexico, never had the desire at the time to visit Canada.


Now I would travel if possible, health-wise it is, but financially it's not doable. Don't have the flexibility of a young person.

Siouxie Jan 27th 2016 6:41 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849581)
I worked 60 hours a week at 20, it was the only way I could get the time off I needed to travel. I only got 10 days off per year. I'd work for others so they would work for me. I doubt I would have been able to do the travel though if I had to pay for airline flights, but luckily I didn't and could just hop on any plane with open seats.

I had no issues with the travel I did in my 20's, just wish I had done more oversea's travel. But I spent the 5 years doing a lot of North America travel, well US and Mexico, never had the desire at the time to visit Canada.


Now I would travel if possible, health-wise it is, but financially it's not doable. Don't have the flexibility of a young person.

My sister who lives in the UK lives on a basic state pension of around $210 a week.

She doesn't have much disposable income but eakes out what she does have by buying clothes in charity shops and getting her groceries later in the day when they go on sale. She has always wanted to travel but her career and children meant she wasn't able to - but she's certainly making up for lost time!

She has saved for nearly 2 years to enable her to take a 6 week trip (2 for the price of 1) on a cruise ship to South America, taking in Amsterdam, Portugal, Funchal, Mindelo, Brazil with a side trip up the Amazon lasting 5 days, French Guiana, St, Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia, Barbados then back to Portugal and to the UK.

She's 68 this year. For her, it's a trip of a lifetime which will never be repeated.

It's never too late to travel.. and where there's a will, there's a way!

:)

MarylandNed Jan 27th 2016 2:47 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11849094)
I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.

I have worked in the UK, Canada and the US. I now work in the US for a large global company on a project that has colleagues from all 3 countries. I see the same thing you describe above in the US. Everyone tries to gloss over work-related problems and spin them in a positive light. No-one wants to offend co-workers. When we have conference calls with our colleagues in the UK, the honesty, humour (there is none in the US btw) and sarcasm is refreshing to me but makes the US/Canada team members a bit uncomfortable.

Former Lancastrian Jan 27th 2016 3:18 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

Pizzawheel Jan 27th 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11850121)
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

You forgot the CFL. Canada leads the world in that sport though the USA got close in the 90s.

Aurora66 Jan 27th 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Hi Haylee,

Oh my gosh! I totally agree with you! I am a Brit who moved here 21/2 years ago. We live in B.C. and it is the most bland, boring place ever. Sorry again to offend anyone but it is just my opinon. The country is without culture, without colourful people for the most part, very grey. It is virtually impossible to have an interesting conversation with anyone or to find anyone who knows or cares what is going on in the world. Is is also way too expensive to live here. It doesn't help that CIC and the immigration process is as backward and inefficient as they can possibly be, charging candidates repeatedly for their backlogs and incompetence. But I wish so much we had stayed in the UK, because Canada is nothing like I thought it would be. And if I could afford to do it, we would go back home. I totally agree with people who might be saying right now to themselves, "well if you don't like it you should go back". But I am stuck here, unable to work, because CIC have been completely shambolic with my pr application, losing documents and asking for more and more fees and the lack of communication is staggering.
We gave it a really good go, we walked the line with CIC and we have got involved in our community, but in hindsight, I wish we hadn't bothered. Not really worth it at all. Just think twice before taking all the time and money to come here.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Aurora66 (Post 11850148)

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Hi Haylee,

Oh my gosh! I totally agree with you! I am a Brit who moved here 21/2 years ago. We live in B.C. and it is the most bland, boring place ever. Sorry again to offend anyone but it is just my opinon. The country is without culture, without colourful people for the most part, very grey. It is virtually impossible to have an interesting conversation with anyone or to find anyone who knows or cares what is going on in the world. Is is also way too expensive to live here. It doesn't help that CIC and the immigration process is as backward and inefficient as they can possibly be, charging candidates repeatedly for their backlogs and incompetence. But I wish so much we had stayed in the UK, because Canada is nothing like I thought it would be. And if I could afford to do it, we would go back home. I totally agree with people who might be saying right now to themselves, "well if you don't like it you should go back". But I am stuck here, unable to work, because CIC have been completely shambolic with my pr application, losing documents and asking for more and more fees and the lack of communication is staggering.
We gave it a really good go, we walked the line with CIC and we have got involved in our community, but in hindsight, I wish we hadn't bothered. Not really worth it at all. Just think twice before taking all the time and money to come here.

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

Cyan Jan 27th 2016 4:13 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
I was disappointed in my first 12 months.....the place was like a larger version of Belgium - everyone's heard of it but not sure what it stands for. And if you're used to quick witted sarcastic banter in London, you'll find Canadians can be slow to talk and action.

But I made my peace with my new land, and after buying my first house here which was palatial by UK standards and getting to like the laid back lifestyle, I started appreciating things more. I think it's a great place to bring up kids.

If I ever need a Brit fix, well London is only a 7 hour flight away, and I've got YouTube, and Arsenal on Saturday mornings....

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Whenever I discuss politics with the locals it always ends up with racist moans about immigrants or first nations people:unsure:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.