British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Haylee32 Jan 27th 2016 8:33 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850552)
Well you can leave feeling ultimately superior to those Canadians can't you;)

I see you are taking it personally, no need for that. I'm sure there are many people who think that the UK is a dump and it's ok, it doesn't bother me.

Oink Jan 27th 2016 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850551)
Really? How come? I think Toronto is great to raise children, safe, clean, green etc. Even their teenagers look like they don't rebel.

That's part of the problem you don't get much creativity and innovation from conformity.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850568)
I see you are taking it personally, no need for that. I'm sure there are many people who think that the UK is a dump and it's ok, it doesn't bother me.

Err no:rofl:

I like the UK, it has a lot of good things going on. You say you're not tarring all Canadians and yet you've made sweeping generalizations in a superior manner. It made me laugh that's all.

Stinkypup Jan 27th 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850568)

You have voiced your opinion, others have voiced theirs, the expected voices I have to say. TiryTory was voicing hers and it wasn't unreasonable, maybe what you think tbh doesn't bother her but YOU asked for an opinion and you got it. Opinions are very polarised on this topic- those who are very happy with this country probably just cant be arsed to rise to the bait. Wow, you must have seriously travelled to have seen most of the US in that short time.. maybe there is more to the place than just the major tourist attractions. Rather like North Americans who "do Europe" in 3 weeks

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 8:52 pm

Do other people not feel superior? I know I do - it's a great feeling.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850521)
Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice. I have managed to see most of the US since I moved here mostly flying away for weekend (or extended weekend) breaks.

Also gap years. For so many young people in their mid twenties I have met here who still live with their parents I was surprised none of them wanted to go backpacking for few months.

There's not that many destinations within a few hours. I'd hardly classify going to the US as going abroad or any great shift in culture or experience. I have enjoyed some of the cities down there.

I don't know why more Canadians don't do the gap year though. Certainly the ones you meet who have done are a bit more clued up.

My critique in Ontario is they spend too much free time at cottages by dull lakes. This seems to be hereditary and a habit/ hobby that I don't find particularly appealing.

I attend one cottage a year like I attend one wedding a year.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11850601)
Do other people not feel superior? I know I do - it's a great feeling.

It is hard to be modest when you know that you are the best.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 27th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850503)
I am not tagging anything, I am just saying it's my personal impression. I have made a lot of effort to get involved in Canadian politics but Canadian politics are a bit boring and also I find that apart from Canada people have no intererest about what's going on outside of it.

As for friendships I am not talking about super close friends you know for decades. Just willingness and being open to making new friends. If you go to US Americans tend to go out of their way to srtike up a conversation and get you involved in their circle, ask you out for drinks etc. Here, not at all. People act suspicious if you ask them to hang out or say hello.

I also do not agree with Canadians traveling a lot. I have met all kind of people here, from hipsters to Bay street crowd to College St crowd and King West yuppies, a lot of them haven't been anywhere apart from Cuba and Mexico. I hear many times that they would like to go here or there but they are scared because it's dangerous which makes me laugh.

These are my personal observations and I don't think I am being unfair, I came here excited with an open heart and after 2 years this is the opinion I will be leaving with.

Cuba and Mexico are warm climates and within a reasonable flight from Canada, and with limited vacation time people have, and it's no real surprise people stay closer to home with trips there or to Hawaii or other US warm climates.

It's also a lot more expensive to take a family elsewhere in the world, even at 1,000 per person to some random European location, that is still 4,000 just to get there, add in food, accommodations and etc, the cost is prohibitive to a large amount of people.

Add in weaker currency, it becomes even harder. Going to say the UK right now for a Canadian, they will lose about 50% of their money in the exchange rate, hard to take a vacation somewhere when your going to lose that much value in the exchange.

Jack_Judge Jan 27th 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850521)
Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice.

Where exactly are these fabulous destinations? I've been stuck in Vancouver for a few years and I would dearly love to travel somewhere where the culture is significantly different. Correction, I would love to travel somewhere with some actual culture but there's rock all out here.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 27th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11850610)
Crippling student debt for those who took out loans from a financial institution would be my only guess

Probably a good guess, along with money earned having to go towards school, and living costs.

Parents likely can't fully fund the education and a gap year unless fairly well off.

Graduating college with the debt load many have then going into relatively low paying jobs for years doesn't help either.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11850598)
You have voiced your opinion, others have voiced theirs, the expected voices I have to say. TiryTory was voicing hers and it wasn't unreasonable, maybe what you think tbh doesn't bother her but YOU asked for an opinion and you got it. Opinions are very polarised on this topic- those who are very happy with this country probably just cant be arsed to rise to the bait. Wow, you must have seriously travelled to have seen most of the US in that short time.. maybe there is more to the place than just the major tourist attractions. Rather like North Americans who "do Europe" in 3 weeks

Quite, although clearly you only need a few days there, you know just to say you've been there;)

Stinkypup Jan 27th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850620)
Quite, although clearly you only need a few days there, you know just to say you've been there;)

Did you get that Idiots guide to Diplomacy I sent you TT??:rofl:

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge (Post 11850612)
Where exactly are these fabulous destinations? I've been stuck in Vancouver for a few years and I would dearly love to travel somewhere where the culture is significantly different. Correction, I would love to travel somewhere with some actual culture but there's rock all out here.

San Fran is probably my favourite US City.

Chicago is like Toronto but they care about what buildings they put up.

Boston and Washington are ok city breaks and have some history.

Been to NYC too many times. The place does nothing for me although I'm sure it is better to live there than be a tourist or in town on business.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11850622)
Did you get that Idiots guide to Diplomacy I sent you TT??:rofl:

Na:p I don't need that do I?:rofl:

Jack_Judge Jan 27th 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11850627)
San Fran is probably my favourite US City.

Chicago is like Toronto but they care about what buildings they put up.

Boston and Washington are ok city breaks and have some history.

Been to NYC too many times. The place does nothing for me although I'm sure it is better to live there than be a tourist or in town on business.

So there's nothing significantly different from Vancouver in a range of several thousand miles?
This is one benighted part of the world.