British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Paul_Shepherd Jan 28th 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11850972)
With respect, nobody is criticising the OP for having an opinion - everyone is entitled to one, including yourself - nor was I criticising her when I mentioned about her first post being negative, I was genuinely curious as it's not that common for people to join a forum purely to vent their dislike of a place... however, she is perfectly free to do so!

I think for every unhappy camper that posts there's probably another 50 that are perfectly happy and don't even know BE exists to post their response - they are too busy enjoying their lives.

Canada isn't for everyone - there is no 'one size fits all' - and a lot of expats have a choice whether to stay or not (I say a lot because for some it isn't feasible to leave). The OP has exercised that choice and everybody wishes her well in her move back to the UK - or where-ever she ends up living.

:)

One of the main complaints i hear about Canada on here is a the lack of culture history and architecture, i dont understand why people decided to move here if thats what they are going to really miss, a couple of reccies here can tell you that.

Ok if its a leap of faith move for a job, then ok, but why quit your job, sell up and move here if you miss those things?

I enjoy doing the things here that i would never have the chance to do in the UK, i enjoy outdoor stuff and Canada is one of the best places in the world to do that, due to its differing geography and defined seasons climate, it keeps me happy for now, maybe when i cant do those things anymore or they become less appealing due to age, the UK may start calling to me again. Who knows! I think age is the only thing that will change this outlook, both physcially and phychologically

Oink Jan 28th 2016 4:44 pm

Another thing about Canadians is their utter hypocrisy. When I'm out with them I get constantly chastised for using the term c*** but they throw around the word fanny without the slightest restraint. They even name their children it. There's one little kid at HID's school called Fanny Hare. That's got to elicit some giggles at register time. :lol:

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 4:45 pm

I also like having a bigger house since now I've got space for snooker table.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851675)
There's one little kid at HID's school called Fanny Hare. That's got to elicit some giggles at register time. :lol:

I can think of worse second names for the poor girl.

Souvy Jan 28th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11851681)
I can think of worse second names for the poor girl.

Batter not continue that line of thought.

In case Oink doesn't already know, fanny to North Americans in back-bottom, not front-bottom.

Even then, it's a lousy name to give to someone withe surname Hare.

I am I said Jan 28th 2016 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11851695)
In case Oink doesn't already know, fanny to North Americans in back-bottom, not front-bottom.

I am pretty sure he knows. Not only is it back, it is politer than saying, say, 'bum'.
So what did this British group mean:

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11851060)

And @snoopdawg, I've never been to the Okanagan. Ever heard of the seven year itch?

Yup but with 6 months to go, my moisturisers working well :p
With one puppy at high school , and 2.5 years to grad, I'm staying put- oh and mediocrity- youngest pup aims for 100% in his provincial maths 10 this am- he got 100% in his mock exam- and aims for 100% as his final grade. He aims for similar in other subjects. And NO we are definitely not pushy parents- he just aims high!
If and when I move ( it's inevitable as I seem to have gypsy blood)- I quite fancy a gulf island for a bit or Vancouver Island- as long as I can look out over the ocean.

Yes we have black widows- not in the garden, in our garage and around the outside of the house. They are "beautiful", fascinating but I'm a bit scared of them so they have to go before they invade the house.
The garden probably has Northern Pacific rattlesnakes- but they are scared of humans and we have only seen them in the park next to us.They are endangered and have been here infinitely longer than I have , so we would never harm them.
The bears in the garden are interested in our grapes only!

As for wilderness- we back onto 4209 hectares of a beautiful Provincial park- with in turn backs onto more wilderness than I would ever want.
Even the well travelled paths can be very quiet or empty especially in winter- the big hungry furry things are asleep high up in the hills then, so cougars are the main worry- I'm aware that I may not see them until I'm up close and personal with one, so if I'm on my own- not often, I carry a ski pole as my dangerous weapon!
My youngest once had to snowboard past a hungry bear that had decided to make a den between ski slopes! Don't get that in Meribel!

For all the beauty around me, I'm still 13 minutes from work- maybe 15 from Crappy Tire, Superstore, The Bay and all the other wonders of urban life. 30-35 from a great airport. We have a thriving theatres, even ballets visiting and hopefully a new art gallery.

So Shakyuk- come on over- there appears to be plenty leaving so there's lots of room:rofl:

Oink Jan 28th 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11851700)
I am pretty sure he knows. Not only is it back, it is politer than saying, say, 'bum'.
So what did this British group mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qrEOCNr3g

Well whatever part of the body its referring too, I think the bracketed phrase, (be tender with my love) might be a bit more revealing to the real meaning of the song. :blink:

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11851704)
Yup but with 6 months to go, my moisturisers working well :p
With one puppy at high school , and 2.5 years to grad, I'm staying put- oh and mediocrity- youngest pup aims for 100% in his provincial maths 10 this am- he got 100% in his mock exam- and aims for 100% as his final grade. He aims for similar in other subjects. And NO we are definitely not pushy parents- he just aims high!
If and when I move ( it's inevitable as I seem to have gypsy blood)- I quite fancy a gulf island for a bit or Vancouver Island- as long as I can look out over the ocean.

Yes we have black widows- not in the garden, in our garage and around the outside of the house. They are "beautiful", fascinating but I'm a bit scared of them so they have to go before they invade the house.
The garden probably has Northern Pacific rattlesnakes- but they are scared of humans and we have only seen them in the park next to us.They are endangered and have been here infinitely longer than I have , so we would never harm them.
The bears in the garden are interested in our grapes only!

As for wilderness- we back onto 4209 hectares of a beautiful Provincial park- with in turn backs onto more wilderness than I would ever want.
Even the well travelled paths can be very quiet or empty especially in winter- the big hungry furry things are asleep high up in the hills then, so cougars are the main worry- I'm aware that I may not see them until I'm up close and personal with one, so if I'm on my own- not often, I carry a ski pole as my dangerous weapon!
My youngest once had to snowboard past a hungry bear that had decided to make a den between ski slopes! Don't get that in Meribel!

For all the beauty around me, I'm still 13 minutes from work- maybe 15 from Crappy Tire, Superstore, The Bay and all the other wonders of urban life. 30-35 from a great airport. We have a thriving theatres, even ballets visiting and hopefully a new art gallery.

So Shakyuk- come on over- there appears to be plenty leaving so there's lots of room:rofl:

I'm fixated on your black widows Snoopdawg... You've sold it well, maybe we'll move. Room for one more doctor?;)

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 11851673)
One of the main complaints i hear about Canada on here is a the lack of culture history and architecture, i dont understand why people decided to move here if thats what they are going to really miss, a couple of reccies here can tell you that.

Agreed although there is history and even "culture" if we look for it. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is a fascinating place , it's not huge but is full of BC's history.

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11851715)
I'm fixated on your black widows Snoopdawg... You've sold it well, maybe we'll move. Room for one more doctor?;)

There's always room for more here in town!! We have a huge amount of orphan patients. I get asked several times every day if I will take on relatives/friends/neighbours. Our girls field requests constantly.
We just don't have room in our office unfortunately for more docs.:(

JonboyE Jan 28th 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 11851555)
I do appreciate the poster for posting her view. Contrasting views help those of us considering the move and highlight things we may not like. However I was finding it quite depressing to read!

-snip-

To go along with snoopdog’s post, we have been here just short of 17 years and have not regretted the move for a moment, despite not having the exotic wildlife in our back yard that she does. We have settled into our little corner of Metro Vancouver and have no intention of leaving. We have plenty of friends and acquaintances. In general we like the society here and the people we interact with on a daily basis. We are involved with local sports and arts. We feel part of the community here in a way that is unlikely to ever have happened if we had stayed in the UK. And all the awesome (sorry!) wilderness is mere minutes away.

I know a lot of Brits in Vancouver. Yes, there is a surfeit of whingy whiney ones (nowhere is perfect) but the overwhelming majority seem to live happy and contented lives here. You might not like it, but the only way you will find out is if you give it a go.

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 5:20 pm

I always wonder what people actually mean when they state there is a lack of "culture"... Were they the sort of people who were always at the latest art gallery/theatre/book reading? Is that what "they" miss?

R I C H Jan 28th 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851596)
I think you’ll find the romantic view of tranquil solitude in the “the wilderness” here something less than Wordsworthesque. Most of it is inaccessible, either by the nature of the terrain or the fact that you aren’t allowed on it. What you’ll find are well-worn trails where every other naffer is walking their dog or you’ll be corralled on some poxy campsite next to some inconsiderate naffer’s noisy piss–up.

This just highlights the diversity of the country. We live in the same province, but it may as well be a different world. I've lived within city limits and outside of city limits and always had direct access to Crown Land - tens of thousands of acres to explore on foot, bicycle, horse or ATV. No campsites, no well worn trails. On my commute (and in the back yard) I've seen cougar, moose, bear etc etc. You needn't be a committed back-woods type to experience any of it.

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jock_mcbile (Post 11851727)
Your son's academic achievements likely won't impress the usual suspects here, since to them excelling in a Canadian school is like having the thinnest waistline among hotdog-eating contestants. Oh and ignore all those dozens of surveys and studies showing Canadian students leagues higher than British students in reading and math. They are clearly flawed or the researchers were paid off by Kevin O'Leary.

Ditto the theatre and ballet in your interior BC city. Apparently those things are inferior in Canada. It's never explained to is how or why, they just are. Just because :)

Btw your property sounds magnificent.

I know, I know! Youngest pup was doing the same in the UK though in a good private school and 6.5 years of Canadian state schooling has not beaten it out of him. I think the mix of people from other countries ( China, South Korea, South Africa, Brazil, Mexico) who all want to do well enhance his schooling and keep him ( and the "cradles" ) on their toes!

Our local production of " Little Shop of Horrors" was the best I've seen- not high brow but incredibly enjoyable.

Our "property"- was a bit of a dump with an amazing view- we bought it for the view and proximity to wildlife and have slowly renovated- we'll never get all our money back- we lack the boat dock!! But it's worth it to sometimes wake up to the sound of eagles ( ospreys in the summer) outside my bedroom!