British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 3:01 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by humanist (Post 11851535)
Why the emphasis on travelling anyway, does it give you extra kudos or bragging rights to be able to reel off a list of exotic locations you've visited? It's a bit like the page on FB where you can pin all the different countries you've visited in a boastful attempt to cover the entire world.

I'm a greenie, so when someone talk about flying around the world the first thing I think of is how can that selfish bugger sleep at night with a carbon footprint that big!

Then again I'm a total hypocrite as I did a bit of travelling before kids came along, but I do feel guilty about it .....that makes it ok, right?

Fact is, if you like zipping off on the weekend to a different country to soak up some culture, speak a different language, see some nice architecture and eat an interesting meal, don't come to Canada! Unless you continually fly back and forth to Quebec City of course.

It's a fair point.

Ignorance is bliss.

Travel can leave you wanting more.

That's how many of us ended up here.

Shakyuk Jan 28th 2016 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11851014)
Given the beauty of it's surroundings, your comment says more about you than Vancouver.

I have more than enough money to move back IF I wanted, but after 6 1/2 years I don't.
I love the mountains, I love the ocean, I love the beauty of the gulf islands.
I love the Okanagan, the incredible lakes, the wineries, the amazing "champagne" snow that I've never encountered on any skiing trip in Europe.
I love watching ospreys from my living room, watching 6 bald eagles jousting mere feet in front of my deck (yesterday), looking out for bears in my garden, listening to owls and coyotes at night, even watching out for cougars whilst walking the dog. I love raccoons , marmots and chipmunks. I love the ever changing beautiful birds in my garden with the changes of seasons. I love listening to crickets and frogs at night in summer.

We're not all here for "culture"/ nightlife. I've lived in London and hated every second. I've loved living in rural Scotland, North Norfolk, rural Worcestershire even rural Greater Manchester- yes such a place exists. But where I live now feels "wilder" if that makes sense.

Canadians that I've met have fairly strong political views. The trips they go on cover most of the globe including Antarctica.Yes there are those who only go to Mexico but how many Brits stick to Spain?

My job here is far more enjoyable than the UK, my kids are happy and I think even the dog would give a paws up if asked.

Each to his/ her own, but to suggest that expats only stay because they lack that courage to go back to the UK is ridiculous. Maybe, just maybe some of us love Canada!:p

I do appreciate the poster for posting her view. Contrasting views help those of us considering the move and highlight things we may not like. However I was finding it quite depressing to read!

Then I read what you wrote. What a beautiful life you must lead, I'm envious! Thank you for writing this as it brought back all of the excitement I lost while reading through all of these pages!

Whilst I like most enjoy cities for a day, the thought of living in one for me is horrible. I have visited London and whilst I enjoyed the visits, I am definitely happy I don't life there.
The thought of seeing all that wildlife and being so close to the mountains and wilderness sounds great to me!

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 11851555)
I do appreciate the poster for posting her view. Contrasting views help those of us considering the move and highlight things we may not like. However I was finding it quite depressing to read!

Then I read what you wrote. What a beautiful life you must lead, I'm envious! Thank you for writing this as it brought back all of the excitement I lost while reading through all of these pages!

Whilst I like most enjoy cities for a day, the thought of living in one for me is horrible. I have visited London and whilst I enjoyed the visits, I am definitely happy I don't life there.
The thought of seeing all that wildlife and being so close to the mountains and wilderness sounds great to me!

They get black widows in their garden too mind😳

Tangram Jan 28th 2016 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11851564)
They get black widows in their garden too mind😳

Racist ;)

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 3:32 pm

Is it ok to only be mildly disappointed?

Oink Jan 28th 2016 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 11851555)

I think you’ll find the romantic view of tranquil solitude in the “the wilderness” here something less than Wordsworthesque. Most of it is inaccessible, either by the nature of the terrain or the fact that you aren’t allowed on it. What you’ll find are well-worn trails where every other naffer is walking their dog or you’ll be corralled on some poxy campsite next to some inconsiderate naffer’s noisy piss–up.

Souvy Jan 28th 2016 3:41 pm

Why the emphasis on travelling anyway, does it give you extra kudos or bragging rights to be able to reel off a list of exotic locations you've visited? It's a bit like the page on FB where you can pin all the different countries you've visited in a boastful attempt to cover the entire world.

I'm a greenie, so when someone talks about flying around the world the first thing I think of is how can that selfish bugger sleep at night with a carbon footprint that big!

Then again I'm a total hypocrite as I did a bit of travelling before kids came along, but I do feel guilty about it .....that makes it ok, right?

Fact is, if you like zipping off on the weekend to a different country to soak up some culture, speak a different language, see some nice architecture and eat an interesting meal, don't come to Canada! Unless you continually fly back and forth to Quebec City of course.

We regularly go to Quebec City. We usually drive. It's quicker than flying, usually. Unless you live in Montreal or Toronto, Quebec City is a bitch to get to by air.

I am I said Jan 28th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851596)
I think you’ll find the romantic view of tranquil solitude in the “the wilderness” here something less than Wordsworthesque. Most of it is inaccessible, either by the nature of the terrain or the fact that you aren’t allowed on it. What you’ll find are well-worn trails where every other naffer is walking their dog or you’ll be corralled on some poxy campsite next to some inconsiderate naffer’s noisy piss–up.

It depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it. Even in Algonquin Park, a couple short portages last summer and we saw almost no one. If you want to be next to your car, I agree with you.

MarylandNed Jan 28th 2016 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jock_mcbile (Post 11850988)
Generally speaking, Canadians are more reserved than Brits, Americans, Aussies, etc. Doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. You know, it's not an insult to be called introverted.

I'm not sure that I'd describe Jim Carrey as "introverted". ;)

Oink Jan 28th 2016 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11851619)
It depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it. Even in Algonquin Park, a couple short portages last summer and we saw almost no one. If you want to be next to your car, I agree with you.

Out west here, if you're moving off the trail by much I'd recommend taking along a handy little S&W 460 snub nose, just in case you run into anything grumpy and hungry. :lol:

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851634)
Out west here, if you're moving off the trail by much I'd recommend taking along a handy little S&W 460 snub nose, just in case you run into anything grumpy and hungry. :lol:

We had a bear snooping around our garden last year. It stayed for ages, but I had my camera setup for taking pictures of that blood moon and by the time I'd fiddled with the settings it had buggered off.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 4:31 pm

I'm a greenie, so when someone talks about flying around the world the first thing I think of is how can that selfish bugger sleep at night with a carbon footprint that big!

So your nickname is "humanist" and you question how traveling can enrich someone's life? Traveling is one of the most amazing and educational experiences, it's not about 'exotic' destinations, it's about curiousity and wanting to learn and explore.

Tangram Jan 28th 2016 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11851587)
Is it ok to only be mildly disappointed?

Or just meh ?

caretaker Jan 28th 2016 4:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851634)

Not far from where I saw the wolverine:

rivingtonpike Jan 28th 2016 4:41 pm

be Haylee32 (I think the OP) just isn't very good at making friends. If the people around you don't like you, that's bound to colour your view on a place.