British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 8:43 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11852046)
Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter. Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all. Then later I was trying to chat up some girls at the bar but they must of been lesbians because they were rather standoffish as well. One of our group did manage to fall into the umbrella stand when we were leaving which was funny so the evening wasn't a complete loss.

Really? I've some Canadian friends who have the banter and insults down to a fine art - and the more they drink, the more outrageous they get with them.

Which reminds me of a story my sons friend, who up until recently lived in Kelowna told me. He went out with a group of Canadians for a night out up near Big White - 2 days later, he vaguely recalled swimming starkers in a complete strangers pool (the owners were not even home) and taking the piss out of everyone. He said they were joining in with the banter and made him laugh so hard he fell arse over tit on the street.

Perhaps it's all down to who you are with (or how much alcohol they've imbibed).

:p

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11851994)
Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.

Fashion is non-existent in Canada! Retail is a much blander experience n Canada all together.

Toronto is probably just as multi-cultural as London though. Most evidence would point to it being more so. That is why the food is better.

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

There are people who want to get drunk every where.

I don't dispute any of your other points.

It seems to me that despite your love of travel you have an issue with meeting people and assimilating. There is nothing wrong with this what so ever. You don't know until you try.

You are probably safer basing yourself in Britain and having trips rather than upping sticks and trying a new culture on a permanent basis.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11852046)
Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter. Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all. Then later I was trying to chat up some girls at the bar but they must of been lesbians because they were rather standoffish as well. One of our group did manage to fall into the umbrella stand when we were leaving which was funny so the evening wasn't a complete loss.

We had a good crowd at my local at one point.

An Irish, An Aussie, A Newfy and a Texan. Made for some good convo.

It can be hard to push the boundaries sometimes that is for sure.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852065)
Fashion is non-existent in Canada!

Toronto is probably just as multi-cultural as London though. Most evidence would point to it being more so.

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

There are people who want to get drunk every where.

I don't dispute any of your other points.

It seems to me that despite your love of travel you have an issue with meeting people and assimilating. There is nothing wrong with this what so ever. You don't know until you try.

You are probably safer basing yourself in Britain and having trips rather than upping sticks and trying a new culture on a permanent basis.

Well I don't because whenever I go to US I meet loads of people and hang out with them, I have actually made some good friends in the US through random nights out.

I have lived in Australia for a year when I was 23, didn't have any problems there either. made lods of friends.

I'm sorry but I just find Canadians to be boring and very reserved.

not2old Jan 28th 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852055)
You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.

You've mentioned, the lack of culture, or that shops or shopping is terrible, lack of sense of humour & the dating scene is boring.

Since being here, have you dated non-Canadian blokes, what about any Brits living in Canada that you've socialized with, are they also boring?

And, what about Europeans... surely there must be someone or type of person in Canada that's up to your 'high thrill, not the boring type' standard like that you'd find back home in blighty?

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852073)
Well I don't because whenever I go to US I meet loads of people and hang out with them, I have actually made some good friends in the US through random nights out.

I have lived in Australia for a year when I was 23, didn't have any problems there either. made lods of friends.

I'm sorry but I just find Canadians to be boring and very reserved.

Honestly, I think you are just mixing with the wrong people and going to the wrong places.

Perhaps you could say instead 'the people I have met in Canada have been boring and reserved' rather than generalising about Canadians? There are Brits who are Canadian - and German, French, Irish, Welsh, Aussie's, Americans.. the list is endless, so to lump everyone into one group is rather silly.

Yes, there are some people who live in Canada who are boring and reserved - just as there are some people who live in the Uk / US / Europe who are boring and reserved.

Obviously you don't feel you are a good fit for Canada and that's fine, but surely you have found some aspects here that were agreeable to you?

:confused:

humanist Jan 28th 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11852076)
You've mentioned, the lack of culture, or that shops or shopping is terrible, lack of sense of humour & the dating scene is boring.

Since being here, have you dated non-Canadian blokes, what about any Brits living in Canada that you've socialized with, are they also boring?

And, what about Europeans... surely there must be someone or type of person in Canada that's up to your 'high thrill, not the boring type' standard like that you'd find back home in blighty?

Actually good point, after living and working in multicultural TO for 8 years most of the people I've met and the friends I've made were not born and raised in Canada.

Maybe there's something in the water that dumbs you down and makes you tedious after a couple of years.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:58 pm

I have made loads of European friends here. At the moment few remains as most of them returned to Europe. Majority of my friends are from US or Europe and of course they are not boring. I have dated few canadian guys and an American guy. American guy was awesome and I really liked him but he was here on and off and it was too difficult to continue dating long distance. Canadian guys lacked confidence, passion and expected me to make all the decisions and plan everything, I broke up with each and single one of them.

not2old Jan 28th 2016 8:59 pm

to post 202 & 203, has anyone found folks change after being here a while - I'm thinking some of whom become narcissistic? .... just saying

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 8:59 pm

It's the assimilation of the individual.

Expecting people around them to change with out investing anything themselves.

I don't have a problem meeting people in Toronto. In fact it's a struggle keeping up with it all.

The sense of humour in Canada is different but so is the tolerance. It is probably the biggest cultural thing about the place that makes it so different from other places. Some people aren't cut out for all cultures and can't adapt.

Stinkypup Jan 28th 2016 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852057)
No, not a culture but part of it, vibrant nightlife and pub culture are just that - parts of british culture. I like energetic intense cities like New York or New Orleans. Toronto doesn't have that.

That is a weird pick-Where to put it nicely drunks litter the streets and there is an overpowering stench of piss- great place to visit, photogenic yes-live there, not if you value your life

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11852080)
Honestly, I think you are just mixing with the wrong people and going to the wrong places.

Perhaps you could say instead 'the people I have met in Canada have been boring and reserved' rather than generalising about Canadians? There are Brits who are Canadian - and German, French, Irish, Welsh, Aussie's, Americans.. the list is endless, so to lump everyone into one group is rather silly.

Yes, there are some people who live in Canada who are boring and reserved - just as there are some people who live in the Uk / US / Europe who are boring and reserved.

Obviously you don't feel you are a good fit for Canada and that's fine, but surely you have found some aspects here that were agreeable to you?

:confused:

I am not saying all canadians are boring but the general vibe of the place after living here for 2 years is to me. Even lets say bars, strangersdont really talk to each other. If I go to US its normal to say hello and strike up a conversation. It's the atmosphere.

My friend told me it's because Canadians who are raised here are always warned as kids to be careful, not to talk to strangers etc, and also the fact that they prefer to get stoned instead of drinking.

Alcohol, say about it whatever you want, losens up people and brings them together. Weed not so much.

And yes, some things about Canada are great - clean, green, sporty, tolerant, open minded etc.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11852088)
to post 202 & 203, has anyone found folks change after being here a while - I'm thinking some of whom become narcissistic? .... just saying

Toronto is a bit of a self absorbed place.

Invariably you end up carrying a certain swagger.

Stinkypup Jan 28th 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852050)
What hatred? LOL, I did tell you I came here excited and with an open heart. Why are you telling me Im unable to integrate? Are you trying to insult me because I criticized the place you like? I have integrated in several other places just fine, Canada just isn't for me. That's me. It's my right not to like it. If readign about it bothers you then stop reading this thread.

I get that but you yourself cannot take criticism! :banghead:

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11852101)
I get that but you yourself cannot take criticism! :banghead:

because you are trying to criticize how I feel. You can't criticize someone's feelings lol