Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Of all countries,why move to Canada?

Of all countries,why move to Canada?

Old May 9th 2007, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Of all countries,why move to Canada?

Originally Posted by loafy
What no internet how will i get my shopping now, no no i will survive i'll just have to get off my fat a__ and go there never know could be an adventure LOL.
LOAFY...
There's no internet grocery shopping in Canada anyway so rural living doesn't affect that.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

BC Hopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about lack of internet?
There's internet availabe everywhere if you want to pay through the nose for it via satellite!!! Personally, I'd save the money and get a good book!!!
Old May 9th 2007, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Just joking about the internet but sure i can live with a limited amount of it.
Nice place you got there dbd33 mate looks great, im not showing the wife she will want one for her dogs and horses and who knows what.
LOAFY...
Old May 9th 2007, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loafy
Just joking about the internet but sure i can live with a limited amount of it.
Nice place you got there dbd33 mate looks great, im not showing the wife she will want one for her dogs and horses and who knows what.
LOAFY...
Thanks. We do have internet there, by satellite, and it's much better (and cheaper) than I'd expected. Unfortunately the time it goes out is when the weather's really bad and it would be sensible to work from home. We don't have TV but I hear that's much the same; fails during storms.

We also have a book but we've both read it.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Thanks. We do have internet there, by satellite, and it's much better (and cheaper) than I'd expected. Unfortunately the time it goes out is when the weather's really bad and it would be sensible to work from home. We don't have TV but I hear that's much the same; fails during storms.

Old May 9th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

My god it's getting worse! No libraries either
Old May 9th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve666

It just gets worse and worse...
LOAFY
Old May 9th 2007, 2:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

There is a library in town, maybe five miles from us. Alas, I've never been in.

Last night I met a woman from up the street, also the owner of a disobediant dog. She has a nice looking house, maybe 4000 square feet, triple garage, four stall barn. Turns out that she's from Windsor but has been here for yonks. She works in a flower shop and her husband is a long distance trucker. That interested me because, in the UK, someone with a house like that would probably drive a jumbo jet, not a truck. She talked about some snags to trucking I haven't seen mentioned here:

- like me, the husband officially gets the US holidays off and not the Canadian ones. Practically speaking this usually means he gets neither.

- on driving days he's at the wheel from 6:00am to 11:00pm. She said she worries "it's one thing to work around the system, another to kill yourself".

- he was expected home at midnight, to be gone for 6:00 and is out until May 25th, when we're to go over there for a barbecue. I expect I'll find out more about trucking then.

- she has satellite TV and satellite internet and even books because "really I live alone, he's never here".

Trucking sounds to be a lonely and dangerous business but well rewarded.
Old May 9th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

If by rewarded you mean it keeps him from his wife I guess you're right!
Old May 9th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

anything for a quiet life eh.
Old May 9th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

If by rewarded you mean it keeps him from his wife I guess you're right!
Fancy starting up a trucking company Steve?
Old May 9th 2007, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

There is a library in town, maybe five miles from us. Alas, I've never been in.

Last night I met a woman from up the street, also the owner of a disobediant dog. She has a nice looking house, maybe 4000 square feet, triple garage, four stall barn. Turns out that she's from Windsor but has been here for yonks. She works in a flower shop and her husband is a long distance trucker. That interested me because, in the UK, someone with a house like that would probably drive a jumbo jet, not a truck. She talked about some snags to trucking I haven't seen mentioned here:

- like me, the husband officially gets the US holidays off and not the Canadian ones. Practically speaking this usually means he gets neither.

- on driving days he's at the wheel from 6:00am to 11:00pm. She said she worries "it's one thing to work around the system, another to kill yourself".

- he was expected home at midnight, to be gone for 6:00 and is out until May 25th, when we're to go over there for a barbecue. I expect I'll find out more about trucking then.

- she has satellite TV and satellite internet and even books because "really I live alone, he's never here".

Doesn't sound that different to drivers of jumbo jets! OH was a pilot and I was cabin crew, we were never on the same shift and just used to pass in the crew room. Its really stange going home after a long night flight and getting into an empty bed that's still warm! At least they have laws governing the amount of rest you have to have between shifts,
Old May 9th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
Fancy starting up a trucking company Steve?
If you don't mind living in northern Alberta and got some spare cash to invest I'm in

Last edited by steve666; May 9th 2007 at 3:09 pm. Reason: dunno
Old May 9th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind living in northern Alberta and got some spare cash to invest I'm in
Ah spare cash is not a word i am used to at the moment.
Old May 9th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by printer
Ah spare cash is not a word i am used to at the moment.
Wait till you get out there, there'll be cash spilling out yer ears!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.