Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

Old Sep 3rd 2018, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are (still) in Australia when.....

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Melbourne having the greatest density in Australia would indeed have pockets of urban foot traffic intensity. Indeed found much the same in Sydney, when used to stat in Newtown. But I have driven around suburbs of Melbourne enough(not in recent years, mind) To know it is only in particular areas and hardly the norm.

But coming in from Perth airport to where I live, close to the city, it always strikes me. just how Perth suburbs are so lifeless. Probably less than the fingers on one hand people passed en route, over a time frame of thirty minutes. Just a thing that I always pick up on with the initial return.
Perth is the pits - I used to visit for work and it seemed like a city built on sand, with a tiny CBD and the most dreary burbs - even the nicer ones close to the town seemed to lack a bit of ommph.....I still wonder if something is keeping you beyond your will Sir, imprisoning you there somehow. People live in places for years for all sorts of reasons, but when there is a reason to move on..

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite a bit of foot traffic around here Troub, Well in relation to a Lot of Aus... . So not the whole of Australia

Lots of crowded footpaths about 800 meters away from me, and they stay crowded all the way into the City.

However Nosey I do understand. The twitching net curtains were the bain of my Childhood and Youth back in London. It's not Aussies hiding behind the nets of UK Suburbia, They're generally doing it out in the open.
I crossed Sydney Road the other day and thought of you Ozzie. I saw people in burkas, Italians. I SO like Melbourne burbs and the way of life in them...from the pink N, ritzy suburban heights of Kensington through to Essendon Village, the established inner East, the endless village burbs and Californian Bungalows- pick from 15 - the mansions down the tramroutes....Bayside....I get why it used to win livable city. You can shoot, fish, ski, go down the beach, enjoy the beachhouse : enjoy the city. Camp. Hike. Victoria is the place to be.

But I might head up to New South for some Backcountry Skiing where you can still see snow into October.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 3rd 2018 at 1:04 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I crossed Sydney Road the other day and thought of you Ozzie. I saw people in burkas, Italians. I SO like Melbourne burbs and the way of life in them...from the pink N, ritzy suburban heights of Kensington through to Essendon Village, the established inner East, the endless village burbs and Californian Bungalows- pick from 15 - the mansions down the tramroutes....Bayside....I get why it used to win livable city. You can shoot, fish, ski, go down the beach, enjoy the beachhouse : enjoy the city. Camp. Hike. Victoria is the place to be.
But I might head up to New South for some Backcountry Skiing where you can still see snow into October.
Enjoy your skiing Badge:

It's not much that annoys me, but one thing I feel like responding to after being prompted by your post. It's the ignorance that many many people have about Muslims and their culture. Now either the Inner North of Melbourne is one of the best-assimilated places going. Or there is a hell of a lot of ignorance around. I thnk it's the latter personally. However, if people claim they've never seen Muslims integrate and assimilate, Take a walk down Sydney Road in Melbourne and if they don't change their mind after that, then they are purely and simply biased ignorant racists.

I think the clue with the negative reactions, is for the vast majority of negative feedback, is from people that don't live in the areas where the Muslims are or from people driving through and only seeing superficially. Looking at the attire rather than the interaction. The Shia women and girls, in particular, are humourous, gregarious, educated, welcoming, attractive and fun loving and usually smiling. They even get seen kissing and courting their boyfriends in the park near me. Saddens me this ignorance.

Back of my soap box now. It does annoy me though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 3rd 2018 at 10:23 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the attire rather than the interaction. The Shia women and girls, in particular, are humourous, gregarious, educated, welcoming, attractive and fun loving and usually smiling. They even get seen kissing and courting their boyfriends in the park near me. Saddens me this ignorance. Back off my soap box now.
Same sort of thing in England, Ozzie. A cousin of mine in Leicester lived with a Moslem from Bangladesh for twenty years. No marriage, his kids (teenagers at first) also spurned the mother and treated their father's girlfriend as their mother. No big deal, apparently.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Perth is the pits - I used to visit for work and it seemed like a city built on sand, with a tiny CBD and the most dreary burbs - even the nicer ones close to the town seemed to lack a bit of ommph.....I still wonder if something is keeping you beyond your will Sir, imprisoning you there somehow. People live in places for years for all sorts of reasons, but when there is a reason to move on..

I do believe you have mentioned this on a previous occasion. Well I don't nor am about to go into discussion with regards to personal reasons on a forum, reasons which are irrelevant to the greater scheme of things, but on reflection, I can understand why such a question could be posed.
I prefer WA of the states, besides would be unlikely to live so close to the city, in one of Perth's few 'happening' inner city suburbs,( but it is with a small 'h' I '' be the first to admit. ) in Melbourne or Sydney outside of living in a flat.
As I'm overseas most years over recent times for at least three months, some years more, far more, Perth is ideally suited for Asia, South Africa and still better in distance for Europe. Obviously if I was between ten years and say forty, this place would be totally unsatisfactory. Another reason, Every hour less on a plane, is a bonus for me. Besides it is one of my 'home' cities. A bit dull, to be sure, but an 'easy' place to be in other ways.

Now I agree fully. I have little love for Perth suburbia.(reason live inner city) Nor, if honest, the mindset that goes, too often with that' lifestyle'. Perth is an incredibly 'small' city when in a particular work area, it feels like everybody but everybody knows everyone. WE really could do with more vibrancy and far greater diversity. It has certainly become far more diverse, over the past decade, but basically remains a 'service' (tradie) city and all that suggests.
I like Melbourne to visit. In some aspects, a Lite version of London/Amsterdam/ with obvious omissions. But don't see much point, outside of the cheaper coffee and more dinning options to move there. But I assume you know 'the most liveable title', had next to nothing to do with 'ordinary' living? I suspect that title, did little 'good' for Melbourne, as folk took nit the wrong way.

Last edited by the troubadour; Sep 4th 2018 at 1:16 am.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is ideally suited for Asia, South Africa and still better in distance for Europe. Obviously if I was between ten years and say forty, this place would be totally unsatisfactory. Another reason, Every hour less on a plane, is a bonus for me.
You are clutching at straws on that argument. Its still a crap flight to get anywhere of interest from anywhere in Australia. Shaving an hour or 2 off a flight to Europe is no reason to choose it.

Perth is an incredibly 'small' city when in a particular work area, it feels like everybody but everybody knows everyone.
Its little South Africa. That doesn't bother me but it does you.

But don't see much point, outside of the cheaper coffee and more dinning options to move there.
More work options for starters. An inner city which is far more interesting and vibrant than Perths. It gets events that Perth just doesn't get. Surrounding Melbourne is some great outdoors and some amazing scenery. One thing that Melbourne does very poorly is access to the coast which is really important in such a climate.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you are (still) in Australia when..... people on forums quibble about the virtues and vices of their respective State capitals.
Old Sep 5th 2018, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
You know when you are (still) in Australia when..... people on forums quibble about the virtues and vices of their respective State capitals.
I don't live in Melbourne. And to be fair, T doesn't like Perth very much.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You know your in Melbourne when you holiday on the "Costa del Seminyak" Which takes 6 hours to get to instead of 3 hours London to Malaga.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
You are clutching at straws on that argument. Its still a crap flight to get anywhere of interest from anywhere in Australia. Shaving an hour or 2 off a flight to Europe is no reason to choose it.

Its little South Africa. That doesn't bother me but it does you.

More work options for starters. An inner city which is far more interesting and vibrant than Perths. It gets events that Perth just doesn't get. Surrounding Melbourne is some great outdoors and some amazing scenery. One thing that Melbourne does very poorly is access to the coast which is really important in such a climate.
Thing being of course, is those places mentioned, are not 'overly' interesting. (over East, hardly your London, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris, excreta) I still far prefer the 'real thing' hence saying that Perth is as good or bad as anywhere else in Australia. Some things come out better, others worse, but all Australian cities at the end of the day.
No idea why you would think firstly that Perth, is a 'Little South Africa', or why that would bother me? More odd statements from a expose of many on your part. Thing being though, don't hear that often South African accents or Afrikaans being spoken, but don't live out side suburbs where those people tend to live. If anyone it would be English one could point the finger at.
But personally prefer the Indian Ocean over the Pacific. And yes the saving of a few hours flying time is very welcome by me, but you are probably right, not a game changer in itself. If those other cities were outstandingly more interesting.....
Old Sep 6th 2018, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Indeed it does. Probably a remoteness issue. Folk seeking reassurance with regards to little their corner of 'the void.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't live in Melbourne. And to be fair, T doesn't like Perth very much.
Underwhelmed is not the same thing as not liking......
Old Sep 6th 2018, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You know your in Melbourne when you holiday on the "Costa del Seminyak" Which takes 6 hours to get to instead of 3 hours London to Malaga.
Neither are very nice, but I think that's your point
Old Sep 8th 2018, 2:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Your day starts with a carpet snake in the house tank inlet.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 6:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You wake up in the same place you were in the night before. And the night before that...
Old Sep 8th 2018, 2:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
My observation has been that older Aussie women are very gutsy, almost fearless in comparison to women elsewhere.

I'd probably open the BBQ for a while and hope they'd slide off of their own accord but my patience wouldn't last long though....
Same with the older blokes too

I could only find the Ozzyman version - enjoy:

Last edited by Amazulu; Sep 8th 2018 at 2:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.