Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF is going on in this country !!!!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Last time I checked, information on crime was collated by my local authority - not Kofi Annan or an American national security agency.
I've always been a bit suspicious of the ''CIA factbook'' but confess to having used it.

It doesn't seem right.

Why broadcast all you know.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:37 am
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've always been a bit suspicious of the ''CIA factbook'' but confess to having used it.

It doesn't seem right.

Why broadcast all you know.
Hi
I live in a smallish town, Hoddesdon, in Hertfordshire and nearly every weekend someone gets stabbed in the pubs. We had a drive by shooting with an automatic where the bloke got killed and always have police helicoptors hovering over the town for the yob culture that live here. I don't think this is just the UK that has this at all but it seems to me that there is so little control over the youths these days and so few consequences that it has become the normal.
I have a 16 year old boy and get frightened every time he walks out the door. So far he has had three hoodies trying to nick his bike wheels while he was sat on it and last year got beaten up by a gang of 14 kids, saved by a kind passer by. The police eventually came round 3 days after the incident and 6 months later were ready to do something about it. When some of the boys were named we had threats of torching our house amongst other things, which frightened the life out of me
I am not saying that my kids are angels but I do think the parents have a lot to do with what is going on now. There seems to be little discipline with some of these kids.
Not trying to cause trouble with this and we are not moving to Oz because of it, just want a better quality of life (not the bigger house type of quality).

Nicky
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

skeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant future

Hi we went to singapore in 1999 on our way to Australia and was told by the tour guide that there used to be gang fights and muggings, the lot.

He told us a new guy came into power and basically said anyone involved in fights will be locked up even if you was just standing there watching, this has worked well in Singapore. we didnt have a problem walking around the streets felt very safe.
If this country would actually get tough on crime instead of giving them another chance almost everytime im sure things would change.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skeaty
Hi we went to singapore in 1999 on our way to Australia and was told by the tour guide that there used to be gang fights and muggings, the lot.

He told us a new guy came into power and basically said anyone involved in fights will be locked up even if you was just standing there watching, this has worked well in Singapore. we didnt have a problem walking around the streets felt very safe.
If this country would actually get tough on crime instead of giving them another chance almost everytime im sure things would change.
I agree with you, Get tough on crime means actually getting tough. Build more detention centres and prisons and keep them in for the time they are actually given. Good behavior should mean getting out on time and not before, bad behavior stay longer. After all 99.9% of the prison population VOLUNTEERED to be there in the first place, Don't commit the crime, don't do the time simple as that. I know people will harp on that prison doesn't work but while they are locked up they are not committing more crime against the innocent.

John
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:34 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I agree with you, Get tough on crime means actually getting tough. Build more detention centres and prisons and keep them in for the time they are actually given. Good behavior should mean getting out on time and not before, bad behavior stay longer. After all 99.9% of the prison population VOLUNTEERED to be there in the first place, Don't commit the crime, don't do the time simple as that. I know people will harp on that prison doesn't work but while they are locked up they are not committing more crime against the innocent.

John
A friend of mine has a son who was just plain bad. His dad died when he was young (which can only excuse certain behaviour for a time) and he went right off the rails for a number of years. His crimes were getting worse from burglary to GBH and his mother was at the end of her tether. She actually wanted them to put him away to stop any more problems. This lad was in court every other week for an awful lot of bad crimes and they still did not put him away. He had been expelled from just about every school in the area and the police would follow him everywhere. Every time he went to court he got sent on another programme for naughty boys, which are a total waste of time and even now he is 20 and still bad they have not put him away. His mother has actually kicked him out now but it just becomes somebody elses problem.
If they actually gave these kids consequences then maybe the problems would get less. What do they have to do to get put away, kill someone?

Nicky
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:36 pm
Banned

Merkin will become famous soon enoughMerkin will become famous soon enough

In Boston USA I read they cleared up gun/gang crime by 60% by getting tough.
Example: any one caught carrying a gun was given 20 years and they were named and shamed, as a detterent to others.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

well... new statistics printed in The Times today state that 10 people each DAY are shot or injured through gun crime (in the UK).

Discuss....
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:09 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skeaty

yes but i met a bloke from singapore in 1996 who couldnt wait to get out of the place because of its draconian laws .
I remmeber the conversation well because i was surprised he wanted to leave singapore beens its so safe but im afraid it also makes the other 99% of the population seem guilty of every misdemener[spelling wrong i think ].
I wouldnt live there for all the tea in china .
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
well... new statistics printed in The Times today state that 10 people each DAY are shot or injured through gun crime (in the UK).

Discuss....
Same shit....different bucket:

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegra...006009,00.html

G
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:14 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merkin
Example: any one caught carrying a gun was given 20 years and they were named and shamed, as a detterent to others.
I think guliani the mayor of New york started the Broken Windows Policy which forced all landlords in the Bronx and alike to fix all the windows and clean their buildings up .This created a better place to live for the residents and thus created a certain amount of pride in where they lived etc and the serious crime rate dropped significantly .
Im not saying this would work in the uk but some kind of policy has to put in place that creates respect for each other and especially to elders and scrapping this greed is good and materialistic society for good .
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:04 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merkin
Perhaps they could transport miscreants to Australia ...
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:10 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

So have we discovered whom has Super Trumpted who in Violent Countries Top Trumps?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Way too cruel

G
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:27 pm
Banned

Merkin will become famous soon enoughMerkin will become famous soon enough

Thats funny
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickywes
A friend of mine has a son who was just plain bad. His dad died when he was young (which can only excuse certain behaviour for a time) and he went right off the rails for a number of years. His crimes were getting worse from burglary to GBH and his mother was at the end of her tether. She actually wanted them to put him away to stop any more problems. This lad was in court every other week for an awful lot of bad crimes and they still did not put him away. He had been expelled from just about every school in the area and the police would follow him everywhere. Every time he went to court he got sent on another programme for naughty boys, which are a total waste of time and even now he is 20 and still bad they have not put him away. His mother has actually kicked him out now but it just becomes somebody elses problem.
If they actually gave these kids consequences then maybe the problems would get less. What do they have to do to get put away, kill someone?

Nicky

Just had a conversation with my sister who is in the UK. One of our friends was woken up by the police knocking on her door early hours of the morning to ask where her 14 year old son was, she said he was staying at his friends for the night. She then noticed her car was missing off her drive ( her pride & Joy ) went upstairs & found him drunk on his bedroom floor! It turns out he nicked her car and went out with his mates ! wrapped it round a tree and both his mates ended up in hospital ! he only escaped injury as his airbag worked !
He was 3 times over the drink drive limit & was full of it as my mates boyfriend took him to the police station, They phoned his mum to ask if she wanted to collect him, she said no. They then phoned his dad & he said no also.
He was crying like a baby by the time social services came to collect him.
I think she has been really brave doing this & hope that it will knock some sense into him before he gets even worse, but only time will tell !

Nicky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.