Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Originally Posted by Burbage
Not if you've chained them to the iron rings you've had installed in the floor.
Perhaps... But we're in rented so can't even put a bloody picture hook let alone iron rings so we'll stick to the open door stair gate idea for now.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:08 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope... I was fortunate to live in a house where the handles for the doors were three quarters of a way up so they couldnt reach it anyway

Mine never used to come out much once they were put in there... they didnt do the trashing of the room either (which I have heard can happen with time out)..

Guess i had an easy ride...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of the problem is due to the majority of houses in Australia being single storey.

No cupboards under the stairs to lock the little bar stewards in
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:20 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I tried to do the naughty step thing with the boys, I'd count to 10 first (that was my threat for the naughty step) they'd start counting along with me, as if I was doing the counting game , then when they eventually were put on the naughty step, they'd run upstairs to their rooms
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:50 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Whenever I tried to do the naughty step thing with the boys, I'd count to 10 first (that was my threat for the naughty step) they'd start counting along with me, as if I was doing the counting game , then when they eventually were put on the naughty step, they'd run upstairs to their rooms
Yer wains must be well impressed their ma can count to ten
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:52 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
I think a lot of the problem is due to the majority of houses in Australia being single storey.

No cupboards under the stairs to lock the little bar stewards in
Knocks the snake pit on the head as well.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:30 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with others.

Never ever lock a child in a room.

Ignore minor tantrums - time out if possible.

If the child is kicking etc, hold them in a bear hug that controls them but also makes them feel secure. It's frightening for a small child to feel out of control - they need reassurance that you can manage their intense feelings.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I agree with others.

Never ever lock a child in a room.

Ignore minor tantrums - time out if possible.

If the child is kicking etc, hold them in a bear hug that controls them but also makes them feel secure. It's frightening for a small child to feel out of control - they need reassurance that you can manage their intense feelings.

Whats the matter with a damn good thrashing
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Or the Herr Fritzel Parenting techniques
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive noticed kids seem to be smacked alot more here than the UK. My friend and I went camping in Dwellingup and there was this Irish lady married to an Aussie guy, she was belting those kids every five minutes - you could hear the sound of hand on nappy on the toddler.

I wondered if it was a 'cultural thing', but the Aussie father said aloud 'nothing wrong with a good thrashing'.

Seen it in the supermarkets as well. I feel quite sorry for the kid actually, imagine half the shop watching you get your arse smacked. I often cringe when I hear parents yelling at that kids stuff like 'You are bloody stupid, you idiot' or things similar.

Although it cant be easy being a parent, I do wonder what effects such discipline has on the child
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Although it cant be easy being a parent, I do wonder what effects such discipline has on the child[/QUOTE]

All joking aside,

I do wonder what effects no discipline has on a child

BTW we don't have kids, so I am probably the worst person to comment on this
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:36 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Although it cant be easy being a parent, I do wonder what effects such discipline has on the child

All joking aside,

I do wonder what effects no discipline has on a child

BTW we don't have kids, so I am probably the worst person to comment on this[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I know what you mean about discipline but I am talking about shouting and screaming at a child in a public place, calling it 'stupid' or 'idiot' - we as adults would hate our boss/husband/wife/any adult to call us that.

Imagine if you heard someone say to his/her partner in the shop 'you stupid ****ing idiot' - I for one would be horrified, I just wonder how that would make a child feel.

Personally I think dogs are easier, when my kelpie is naughty he goes in the garden to his kennel.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

I have a two year old at home so I get where she is coming from but there is no way I'd do this. What if there was an emergency? Also as others have said, what is she thinking having a second child when it sounds like she is barely coping with the first? Having a second one is just going to make things harder.

So far my toddler isn't too bad with the tantrums. She has minor ones sometimes when we leave the playground or something but my strategy is to just scoop her up and put her in the stroller and off we go. Usually 2 minutes later she's happy as larry.

I don't think that a time out is the same as locking a kid in his/her room. Time out is meant to be a couple of minutes sitting on a step or away from the main activity followed by a hug and re-joining the family. Locking a child in his/her room just sounds like an over-reaction to standard toddler behaviour.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Iguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really niceIguazu Rocks is just really nice

Not the way to go IMHO.I can see the situation having a negative effect in the long run.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Not all toddlers tantrums are "standard".

My daughter had your typically toddler tantrums, most pretty normal and every now and then some really bad ones. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

My son on the other hand had massive tantrums. Once I tried to put him in his car seat and he wouldn't let me, he was 3 and already strong enough to be able to stop me from doing it without breaking something in the process. I decided to sit in the front seat and read a book while he had a tantrum in the back seat (unbuckled). It lasted for 45 minutes.... that's 45 minutes of non stop screaming and pounding on the windows. That's not normal. Many of his tantrums were just like that.

When he lost it he was totally and completely out of control. He would not stop screaming and usually would try to kick and scream anyone who got near him. Time out's were laughable as he would immediately get up and hit you. Trying to hold him tight while he tired himself out was impossible. He could go on for 30-45 minutes and would fight to get away from you the entire time.

After having one child with normal tantrums and one child with what I and my friends, family and doctors would describe as not typical I can honestly say it's difficult to judge unless you've been in that situation.

I should add that my little boy is now almost 4 and is pretty normal (most of the time!). The big reason for all the huge tantrums as a 2-3 year old was that he couldn't talk, which thankfully is now coming along nicely.

When you've got a 3 year old beating up his older sister and abusing the parents sometimes you just do what you have to do.

I'm not saying I agree with locking kids in there room but no one knows the specifics of the situation. Maybe the kid was put in the room for a few minutes (less then 5 or 10) until they calmed down enough to come out and not hurt anyone. Newspaper articles can slant stories to make them more sensational (or they can be very accurate).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.