Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you 'lock' a 2 year old in their bedroom?

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Correct
God I feel like Fritzl now for my 5 minute times out! Who tells you it's you it's equivalent to age? Do they hand out leaflets when you leave the hospital or something !

I've never heard of it.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:25 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
God I feel like Fritzl now for my 5 minute times out! Who tells you it's you it's equivalent to age? Do they hand out leaflets when you leave the hospital or something !

I've never heard of it.
Don't you watch Supernanny ffs???
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:28 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

According to the Supernanny it's 1 minute per child's age.

http://www.supernanny.com/Advice/-/S...technique.aspx
Old Jun 11th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

What was more interesting was listening to the DJ defend his friend on the grounds that surely its better to lock the two year old in the bedroom than the pregnant mother having to hold onto the door. Sort of missed the whole point that clearly the time out in the bedroom thing was not working and perhaps a new tactic is required.

Mrs H and I had counselling a number of years ago when our daughters behaviour became particularly difficult. We were relieved to find that we were far from alone, that she was nowhere near as bad as we feared but importantly we picked up on a number of new techniques to use. We learned that she needed to be treated differently to my son and instead of condeming or shouting she only responded to questioning and conversation. Yelling had zero effect !

Parenting is an interesting and challenging journey
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:31 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
What was more interesting was listening to the DJ defend his friend on the grounds that surely its better to lock the two year old in the bedroom than the pregnant mother having to hold onto the door. Sort of missed the whole point that clearly the time out in the bedroom thing was not working and perhaps a new tactic is required.

Mrs H and I had counselling a number of years ago when our daughters behaviour became particularly difficult. We were relieved to find that we were far from alone, that she was nowhere near as bad as we feared but importantly we picked up on a number of new techniques to use. We learned that she needed to be treated differently to my son and instead of condeming or shouting she only responded to questioning and conversation. Yelling had zero effect !

Parenting is an interesting and challenging journey
another interesting point I learned from Supernanny, is to tell them off by going down to their level, rather than standing tall and pointing the finger. Children respond better and don't feel threatened or intimidated.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 5:47 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

I would NEVER lock a child in a room! I also could not be bothered standing holding a door - that technique is obviously not working!!

My eldest had the most horrific tantrums, though only with the grandparents, never with me!

Youngest never tantrums, if he does get upset about anything, he has forgotten about it 2 seconds later! Currently his favourite word is sorry - if he gets told off he says sorry, if he drops something or wets himself, again sorry! Unfortunately, if I hurt myself, he also shouts sorry or if I shout at the dog we also get sorry!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Unfortunately I have seen this frequently too. Children being called stupid makes me so angry. They're having all their self esteem and confidence knocked out of them and it's heartbreaking.

My friends next door neighbour calls her little girl (about 4/5) a See You Next Tuesday because she wets the bed.

How old were you when you were smacked and locked in your room? My boy is nearly 2 and I can guarantee if I locked him in his room he wouldn't "reflect" on his actions he'd cry because he's lonely, his mummy has sent him away, shut the door and he doesn't understand why.

We do time outs that last no longer than 5 minutes because little people don't have very long attention spans. If his time out was any longer he'd probably forget what he was being punished for!

Discipline is important and instilling it early is vital but 2 year olds aren't mature enough for this kind of punishment, he struggles to say his own name and sometimes calls me dad instead of mum so how's he going to understand that sometimes he needs to be locked away? Bloody cruel if you ask me.
Thats a good point actually, certainly not when I was 2. Much older, old enough to understand why. So I have to agree, locking a 2 year old away is unacceptable.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

When the locked door is bricked up, then you have cause for concern.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

In fact in reply to the very first post I think Jo Frost (SuperNanny) would say "That's un-ass-eptable"
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ems, if something happens to my wife I hope they've cloned your sweet self in time...

As for Kporte if he doesn't make you his wife soon I'll slap him.

Have to admit, I've slapped my eldest when she has about to do something dangerous - like change the channel when the rugby is on....
Badge, we'd have to both get divorced first!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to allPommiebird is a name known to all

Whats the next step of punishment when the 2 year old is tearing his/her bedroom apart/ Hog tied? Locked outside/ When does it stop?

As much as I hate to admit it (it just sounds so wanky) Supernannies techniciques work. I have a 3 year old and at the moment we are having horrific tantrums over lots of different things. Its a power struggle hes fighting for his own opinions and independence!!

i have done the "naughty corner/step since he was about 16 months...i got slated by my mates that it was to young he started at a minute and a half. we are now up to 3 and a half minutes. I learnt and watched from all my friends having kids..(I was the last and eldest) Its just a case of consistency so the child knows the boundaries and knows the outcome if rules are not followed. Its exhausting...but kids are and as a parent thats what you sign up for. Locking a kid in a room is a parental cop out!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Unfortunately I have seen this frequently too. Children being called stupid makes me so angry. They're having all their self esteem and confidence knocked out of them and it's heartbreaking.

My friends next door neighbour calls her little girl (about 4/5) a See You Next Tuesday because she wets the bed.

How old were you when you were smacked and locked in your room? My boy is nearly 2 and I can guarantee if I locked him in his room he wouldn't "reflect" on his actions he'd cry because he's lonely, his mummy has sent him away, shut the door and he doesn't understand why.

We do time outs that last no longer than 5 minutes because little people don't have very long attention spans. If his time out was any longer he'd probably forget what he was being punished for!

Discipline is important and instilling it early is vital but 2 year olds aren't mature enough for this kind of punishment, he struggles to say his own name and sometimes calls me dad instead of mum so how's he going to understand that sometimes he needs to be locked away? Bloody cruel if you ask me.

Been thinking about this lately, and your right really Its way too far for a 2 year old, I missed that bit somehow.

I was smacked occasionally but we are talking early 1980`s when it was acceptable. Not locked in my room, but I didn`t dare come out!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sounds like your kid will be the escape artist.
I've occasionally administered the occasional whack and it worked but was never punitive. We also send them to their rooms for timed periods to cool down.

My wife uses the alarm on the stove - they come out and cancel it when time's up.
That made me smile! The cooker alarm, like it !